• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 Oldford OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 570 posts

Posted December 03, 2013 - 03:40 AM

How about more information. Wood?  length? 

Looks like it would ride rough water without a problem with all that free-board. Nice boat to take the grand kids out in.

Didn't want to drift the thread but since you asked I like talking about my boat don't mind sharing.  It's a fiberglass 19' made in Maine by Seaway in the early 80's.  It's pretty seaworthy for the size.  Downeast hulls tend to be flat bottom, round chine, high sheer, open cockpit keel boats.  Small outboards like mine are light weight with shallow keels, very fuel efficient but pound in a head sea and can come around in a big following sea so have to be careful when it's rough.  I don't mind going slow gives me more time on the water, saves on fuel and don't like to beat on the girl, she always gets me home.

Big downeast inboards like lobsterboats have a lot of weight down low and a deep keel so ride much smoother in big seas.  In fact one broke loose from its mooring last winter near me and drifted in a storm, was picked up over 100 miles south in Mass waters as I recall and towed home intact by another lobsterboat.  A pretty seaworthy design.

• Cvans and oldedeeres have said thanks

#17 Cvans ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,322 Thanks
  • 4,917 posts

Posted December 03, 2013 - 09:50 AM

Thanks for the information. It was interesting. I was thinking from the photo that it might be nearly a flat hull at the transom. Good stability. 

#18 Oldford OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 570 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 04:12 AM

Yep pretty stable wide beam... flat bottom lets me get in pretty shallow as you can see in the pic.  Rocks are always a concern tho.

• Cvans said thank you

#19 shorty OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,308 Thanks
  • 3,728 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 05:41 AM

Yup, those rocks are always a worry. They can make a fun weekend go to bad in a heartbeat.

#20 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted December 07, 2013 - 08:45 PM

Both nice looking boats. Living on the water we love our pontoon, have a 14 ft aluminum fishing boat and two kayaks. It would be nicer if the season lasted longer though.
  • Oldford said thank you

#21 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

• Member No: 20120
  • 1,842 Thanks
  • 1,064 posts

Posted December 17, 2013 - 07:28 PM

we've got a couple, wish I could use them more. Neither seen water for a few years.

Mine is a 78 Peterborough bowrider trihull  with a 60 Johnson on it, runs great, but only good for smaller lakes, If you look real close you can see where the "Official boat of the 1976 Olympics" decal used to be

Floats on 4 inches of water, but nasty bad in a storm.

Hers is a 95 Seadoo HX, stupidly fast, but amazing fun. Picked it up for 500 a few years back when I was out of work. Put a new drive shaft in and a couple of bearings, drained the water out of the engine, ran a hone through the bore and away we went. The PO had lent it out, they forgot to grease the driveshaft bearings and seized it. Then they told the PO it had sunk. They pulled the plugs and filled it with tap water, and gave it back

Sorry don't have any pics handy of either of them.

• Oldford said thank you