Photo
- - - - -

New To Tractor's - First Buy St10 Or St16

sears st10 st16

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#16 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 3,988 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 12:39 PM

you'll see, that "tractoring" is a great hobby for everyone - welcome to GTT

• MyBolens1053 said thank you

#17 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 03:45 PM

After you get one, it won't be long before you decide you want the other one too. :D

#18 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 06:19 PM

:welcometogttalk:  If you can work it, buy both GT's

No one can have just 1!

#19 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 11:37 PM

I'M SHOCKED.......nobody stated that you need to buy both!!!!!! I'll give you fair warning this is an addiction, It starts with one tractor to do some odd's and end's then your building a garage to put your heard in    :D   that's how it started for me........ I think I'll go to rehab, no that's for quiters  lol.... Sears are nice tractors with ton's of attachments around, maybe check Craigs list and see whats out their for your tractor. welcome and remember I warned you.  :D  

#20 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted October 30, 2013 - 07:50 AM

The SS series is the original Suburbans. The Supers Suburbans came along to muddy the distinction with their wood grain dashes and cigarette lighters. Later the ST series came along. They were the next generation with fiberglass grills and dashes in a lot of cases.

So would that mean my 1970 suburban 12 is considered an "ss" or is that not early enough?

#21 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted October 30, 2013 - 08:38 AM

So would that mean my 1970 suburban 12 is considered an "ss" or is that not early enough?

I believe the "super suburban" name could be interchanged with the SS monicker and was an upgraded verison. My '68 says "super" down the hood with the SS12 on the grill.

From some reason  in 1970, Sears only offered 1 size tractor in the suburban line in two versions, the suburban 12 and the SS12

Yours could be either depending on the options it came with.

The Suburban will have a 917.25550 model number, the SS12 is 917.25510

They really screw with our minds starting in 1973 as some ST's are custom with lighter frames/axles and some ST's are the true heavier GT's. If you find an ST/10. most likely it's a custom, the ST/12 & 16's are suburbans, all with single Tecumsehs.

Here's a quote from The Vintage Sears Garden Tractors website starting with the Roper built tractors in 1966...

Sears updated their Suburban tractors in the mid 60's. Gone were the Bradley transmissions. They were replaced by a
conventional transaxle. A standard clutch/brake pedal and gear shift replaced the F/N/R lever on the old tractors. A built in
High/Low range eliminated the extra cost and complexity of adding a speed reducer. Tecumseh engines replaced the Briggs
models installed in the earlier Suburbans. The horsepower race had begun. The Briggs engine would later return, along with a
twin cylinder Onan.

The front mounting attachment points were left the same as the old Suburbans : four holes on the axle and a slide in channel
frame. The rear drawbar was now a slanted piece of formed steel mounted to the frame behind the transmission. The
mounting pin for the lower lift arms of the 3-point hitch passed through the drawbar on these tractors. A heavier model of
3-point hitch became available as horsepower and pulling ability increased.

A Super model was introduced, which included such upgrades as cigarette lighter, chrome wheel covers and wider tires. The
designation Super can be traced back many years to the David Bradley walking tractor line. Tractors also used the model
names of SS or ST, followed by the horsepower rating of the tractor. Variations on the Suburban theme would continue, with
increased power being the most notable trend. Most were basically the same tractor design, with minor changes to the engines,
grill and dash.  Click on the links below to see pictures of the tractors.

** In 1976, Sears began to sell what they labeled a garden tractor, which was produced by the Murray Company. They were
called ST/8 and ST/10 in 1977, model numbers 502.25900 and 502.25910. These machines were not made by the Roper
Company and are not included in this database. **

Edited by TAHOE, October 30, 2013 - 08:43 AM.

#22 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted October 30, 2013 - 08:48 AM

Thanks Tahoe, mine definitely isn't a super, I was hoping to get away with an abbreviation for it's name lol but I guess it's just a suburban 12... Were they built by Roper in 1970? I thought I had read somewhere that started later but for some reason I'm having trouble sorting out the details on these older Sears tractors.

#23 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted October 30, 2013 - 08:59 AM

Thanks Tahoe, mine definitely isn't a super, I was hoping to get away with an abbreviation for it's name lol but I guess it's just a suburban 12... Were they built by Roper in 1970? I thought I had read somewhere that started later but for some reason I'm having trouble sorting out the details on these older Sears tractors.

Roper starter building the garden tractors for Sears in 1966, David Bradley built them for Sears from 1959-1965. I think Roper went on up in mid 1980's but I am unsure about that, ....my "newest" one  is a 1977. Maybe 1979 was last Roper ones as I think they did a big change in 1980, but I am not sure about that.

Yours is definitely a Roper tractor.  

#24 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted October 30, 2013 - 09:41 AM

Given what a puzzle mine is to work on at first I thought it was a Bradley-built one but after looking at pics of the Bradley stuff I wasn't so sure as mine looked more over-engineered than the stuff they built lol. Thanks again Tahoe, great info!
  • TAHOE said thank you

#25 Jcwilde1 OFFLINE  

Jcwilde1
  • Member No: 49116
  • 40 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted October 30, 2013 - 10:17 AM

I always loved working on cars, but I can see why it's easy to have more than one of them. 

• Texas Deere and Horse and TAHOE have said thanks

#26 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,408 Thanks
  • 39,662 posts

Posted October 30, 2013 - 01:29 PM

I always loved working on cars, but I can see why it's easy to have more than one of them. 

Once you have one, they will multiply!

#27 Jcwilde1 OFFLINE  

Jcwilde1
  • 40 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted October 31, 2013 - 08:22 AM

So I pulled the trigger.

Got a 1977 ST/16 with an electric 3 point hitch. Came with snow plow, rear blade, deck, harvester, plow, single disc,  and a harrow. I am the third owner and came with all repair info and manuals dating back to the 70's!

1002915_10100117974076422_1327807961_n.j

• MH81, HowardsMF155, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#28 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted October 31, 2013 - 08:38 AM

Congratulations and thanks for letting us know.  Looks to be in decent shape!

#29 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted October 31, 2013 - 09:01 AM

Not a bad looking tractor and a bunch of implements!!! I would like to have some of those!

I too have a '77, it was the only year Sears used the "16/6" name badge, but still a ST/16.

I can see, footboards and rear fenders have been painted and that's not factory seat. That motor is a factory replacement, they came with the pull starter and the regulator in the flywheel cover so the original motor was replaced at one time, not to mention it would've been same yellow as frame. I have the same motor in my '74 I'm restoring, everyone asks me about the pull start since it wasn't factory.

What condition is the front upper grill/nose piece? They usually break at the hinge point. I fixed mine, smoothed with filler and in primer, then hit a tree and blew it out again :wallbanging:

not asking you what you paid, but here is breakdown in my area, you can add up and see what deal you got....

Running tractor in that shape with deck, 250-350

front blade  100

back blade 100-150

plow  75-125

disc 75-100

harvestor?? maybe potato plow?  100

harrow  100-150

electric 3 pt- those are fetching 200 and on up, usually "on up"

#30 Jcwilde1 OFFLINE  

Jcwilde1
  • 40 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted October 31, 2013 - 09:32 AM

Thanks for the heads up on the engine and what not. I didn't realize that, but thought it was a little odd. If I need parts for the engine are they the same as the original one or do I need to find the model of the motor.

I paid $700 for it all (would have been less, but another buyer jacked up the price last minute). I forgot to mention it had tire chains, weights and some scoop thing that doesn't seem useful. Maybe if you want to back into a pile of dirt or something.

I meant cultivator not harvester. But thanks for letting me know the value of the parts. I was hoping that would make it more worth it (and more useful to me) over the SS/10 I was considering. 

• Texas Deere and Horse and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sears, st10, st16