• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Jcwilde1 OFFLINE  

Jcwilde1
  • Member No: 49116
  • 40 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 08:48 AM

I never rode a tractor until yesterday when I tried out an old Sears ST/10. I am looking for a tractor to push around snow in the winter in a decent sized driveway, plow a small garden and mow and care for an acre of lawn. It would be nice to be able to pull some brush or logs around every now and again as well.  

From what I have read they don't make them like they used to so I am drawn to the old sears and there is an ST/10 and ST/16 available near me. The ST/16 needs a little more work, but runs decent. 

Would either of these do what I am needing? We don't get a huge amount of snow, maybe one or two storms that drop 10" or more per year. 

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated! 

• MH81, Dieselcubmike, JRJ and 1 other said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 08:52 AM

I do most of my snow removal with units like that. Plow, blower, back blade. Truly amazing how much white stuff they will move.

Weight and chains will be your friends for winter. The 16 will be better as it has the better front axle and frame push point.
You will want to move those 10" in 5" increments :D. Or take smaller slices.
10" of snow at a time is more than I like to tackle with the blade.
  • iron Mike and JRJ have said thanks

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 08:55 AM

Oh, and :welcometogttalk:, we want pictures... :thumbs:
  • JRJ said thank you

#4 Jcwilde1 OFFLINE  

Jcwilde1
  • 40 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 08:58 AM

Thanks! Here is the ST10

00A0A_9T2PixUTifA_600x450.jpg

• Texas Deere and Horse, boyscout862, Dieselcubmike and 1 other said thanks

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 09:05 AM

Welcome to GTT and the world of GT playing. Relax and enjoy the site. You can download 3 free manuals per day from our manuals section. The Sears is a good tractor but, if you have time shop around there are many good ones. I favor Allis/Simplicities, Bolens, and Ford LGTs. Onr thing to consider is dealer and part support. Our sponsors can help with some brands but a local dealer can make a big difference. Good Luck, Rick
  • iron Mike said thank you

#6 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 09:07 AM

Welcome to GTtalk, I'm sure someone of the Ford family of tractor will be along to give you there suggestions. The St10 you posted looks real sharp. 

The member love pictures to show off your stuff and the pictures also help when working on a project, especially when it is time to put it all together and you may have forgotten how it came apart, get  one of the pictures out and away you go.

Dick 

#7 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 09:08 AM

Welcome to GTTalk JC!

While I am not overly familiar with the sears line, my first impulse is to get the larger tractor.  It will handle all the jobs you want it to do without running out of power.  That said, the ST10 WILL do the same jobs, it just may take a bit more time, or you may have to learn a bit of finesse tackling those jobs.  My second thought is, what make are the engines?  The 10 is probably a Tecumseh, good engine, but the manufacturer is out of business and parts are less available than for other makes of engines.  The ST 16 could be a single cylinder Tecumseh or a twin ONAN which is by all accounts a sweet engine.  I think ONAN parts are available for most everything, but they can be a little pricey.

• JRJ said thank you

#8 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 09:11 AM

I just recently acquired a Sears suburban 12 (btw, can someone tell me what the difference is between the suburban's, st's and was there an ss as well?) and I really like it but I have a couple of Fords as well. They all have their perks and drawbacks, the one thing I really like better about the Fords are the Kohler engines but so far the Tecumseh in the Sears seems good. Best thing I can say is take a close look in person at a number of different brands/models before you make a decision to see what you do and don't like about them.
  • JRJ said thank you

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 10:22 AM

Welcome to GTTalk. If you want to move snow with your GT then you need chains and weight regardless of which tractor you get. This is particularly true if you have a hill on your driveway.  For plowing 10hp is fine but for blowing snow, mowing etc. more HP will speed things up. If you get a lot of heavy snow then I'd suggest you find a blower as well as the front blade. Heavy wet snow in particular is hard to push with a small Gt and if you need to push it up hill it makes it worse. Whatever you decide there will be lots of help here if you need it.

#10 Jcwilde1 OFFLINE  

Jcwilde1
  • 40 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 11:03 AM

Thanks for all the input. Good to know that either will work but more power = faster speed of project.

I am in Kansas City, so we get maybe two storms each year that are 10" or more and the rest are 3 - 6". My driveway is flat too.

Is there an advantage to using a blower vs a front snow blade on something like this? My driveway is a mix of pavement with a strip of gravel at the end.

• JRJ said thank you

#11 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 11:23 AM

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you're getting good help. I have both Ford and Sears. But I don't get much snow down here, just once in a while we'll get 12". LOL. I haven't had a tractor when the snow was deep, so can't be of much help there. By the way 2 of my Sears are FF's. Sweet machines!

• iron Mike and JRJ have said thanks

#12 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 11:38 AM

Hello there and welcome! :wave: Beautiful looking st10

• JRJ said thank you

#13 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 11:44 AM

Welcome to the forum!!!

First, got to this website, gives all the models and somedifferences in the Sears GT's way back when.

http://www.vintagese...tification.html

Ok, here we go....

The ST/10 tractor is called a "custom" . They were built as a more lower entry type line, still a GT, but lighter frame, light front axles, usually lower HP. Also one big drawback to the customs is because fo the front axle, you can only use front implements designed for hte custom tractors. The 3 pt hitches/implements though will swap between all the tractors.

The larger ST16 is a heavier built "suburban", heavier front axle, frame, rearend and the mid to later 70's tractor all had higher Hp ratings. You can also swap the front implements from about any year starting in 65 or 66 on up thorough 79, blades, snow blowers etc. Much more plentiful and you wil have a much easier time finding them vs the custom implements.

Someone also mentioned the SS tractors. In the mid/late 60's this was just small upgrades, woodgrain dash, longer footboards, wider tires. In 71/72 that had a two yr only run of a 14 ( '71) and 15 ( '72) horsepower Briggs. In '73 they went to the yellow/white tractors and began adding larger motors and also the Twin Onans. After 73, the ST pretty much single cyl, the SS meant twin.

If you can find a 73-79 SS in good running condition, grab it.

Other than the Twin Onans, and the two Briggs years, All Sears used some variation of the Tecumseh motors. Flatheads up to '72, then the switch to the newer Overhead valve design. They also introduced the "SSI" or solid state ignition in late '67. The module can burn up, 40 yr old used evilbay ones are outrageous, but there is new modern day parts to replace them so not an issue anymore.

Since Tecumseh went out of business, rebuild parts are getting hard ot find. Ebay has become source of most use parts, but prices are getting crazy. The twin Onan parts are also pricey, but still pretty readily available. 

The OH160 motor in the ST16 is a decent motor when running, but are prone to the module burning out and also dropping valve seats, usually exhaust seats due to heat variances. I have a '77 and once I got a few thing fixed, I really enjoy the sound of the single cyl and I've never stalled it before I lost traction.

I use both snow blower ( on a '96 craftsman) and plow with my '77. I prefer to plow just cause the blower is old and worn and I'm constantly fixing on it. Now I will say I sure do like blowing the snow out into  the yard or away from drive, but prefer plowing.

That 10 looks nice, but I would stick to looking for a Suburban, preferably a SS model with twin Onan....I've got 5 in my stable right now! :smilewink:

• iron Mike, JRJ and Sawdust have said thanks

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 11:49 AM

I just recently acquired a Sears suburban 12 (btw, can someone tell me what the difference is between the suburban's, st's and was there an ss as well?) and I really like it but I have a couple of Fords as well. They all have their perks and drawbacks, the one thing I really like better about the Fords are the Kohler engines but so far the Tecumseh in the Sears seems good. Best thing I can say is take a close look in person at a number of different brands/models before you make a decision to see what you do and don't like about them.

The SS series is the original Suburbans. The Supers Suburbans came along to muddy the distinction with their wood grain dashes and cigarette lighters. Later the ST series came along. They were the next generation with fiberglass grills and dashes in a lot of cases.
  • iron Mike, JRJ and Walkinman1 have said thanks

#15 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 11:53 AM

Here's a few pics of mine, I built front blade mount with winch, I have a small home made bucket, and I plow the garden. I really would like a rear tiller setup too and we use it to mow the yard/field too.

photobucket-54806-1329751889034.jpg

photobucket-47383-1348097646166_zps4fe77

tractorfield_zps350632e6.jpg

photobucket-7191-1358177140496.jpg

downloadedphotos1209_zps5a195853.jpg

plowday7_zps7130c454.jpg

Here is aother issue the 73 and up tractors have, broken fiberglass nose cones. They can be fixed, but many do break.

tractornose3_zps375f287c.jpg

• iron Mike, Dieselcubmike and JRJ have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sears, st10, st16