• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 whitefishblues OFFLINE  

• Member No: 41816
  • 49 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 11:41 PM

Hi all,

I have my '75 Case 444 put back together and am ready to fire it up...but I have a wiring question.  The tractor is a '75 (SN 9710714) but it has a '95 Kohler CH14S (SN 2501116604).  The Kohler has the ignition built into the motor, located on the flywheel side near the top.  It also has a solenoid mounted near the starter.

The original Voltage Regulator and original Solenoid are still there, mounted by the battery, and the previous owner had the positive battery lead running to the original solenoid.  From there, he had a lead running to the motor's solenoid.  He had the wires running from the original solenoid and voltage regulator to the Ammeter, but the Ammeter doesn't work.  He did not have the wire connected from the back of the voltage regulator to the original solenoid.  This wire would normally go on the solenoid post opposite to the positive battery lead.  

The tractor started and ran this way.  I replaced a couple wires and was cleaning the contacts when I noticed it, and I wondered if that was what was causing the Ammeter not to work.  So here's what I need advice on:

1.  Can I connect the original Voltage Regulator to the Original Solenoid without blowing something up?

2.  If I did that, would it make the Ammeter work?

3.  Does it hurt anything to have the positive battery lead running through the first solenoid to the second?

4.  Should I just bypass the original Voltage Regulator and Solenoid entirely?

Eventually I'd like to restore it to the original setup so that I can have headlights (they are currently missing) and the iginition on the dash column.  For now, I'm just looking for advice to get it running without hurting anything.

I'll take pictures tomorrow...the light in my shop isn't good.  Just wanted to write my question tonight in case someone is able to visualize it and/or knows the answer.

#2 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,139 Thanks
  • 4,553 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 12:09 AM

If the tractor ran and the battery charged with the original set-up, leave it that way..  To make the Ammeter work, the wire that goes from the regulator to recharge the battery needs to be rand through the Ammeter.  IE-  Wire from the regulator on one side then from the ammeter to the battery side solenoid post or the key switch..  The Ammeter is hooked in 'Series' to measure the amount of power generated by the charging circuit..  Hope this makes sense..