• Please log in to reply
371 replies to this topic

#271 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,123 Thanks
  • 3,208 posts

Posted July 23, 2015 - 08:42 PM

Just wondering how things are going. Noel.

#272 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted July 24, 2015 - 01:55 PM

I had to set it aside for a bit. I need to make some money to pay for the parts it's going to take.

I have a CB750 up on the table with a stuck clutch and an old Honda Big Red needing a carb job before tomorrow.

• Alc, Cvans, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#273 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • 6,123 Thanks
  • 3,208 posts

Posted August 12, 2015 - 05:30 PM

Just wondering, I'm interested in how it works. Don't mean to be bothering you. Any news, Noel

Edited by propane1, August 12, 2015 - 05:31 PM.

• Chopperhed said thank you

#274 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted August 12, 2015 - 07:57 PM

Just wondering, I'm interested in how it works. Don't mean to be bothering you. Any news, Noel

Power and pulling wise, it has everything I thought it would. I can rip 6" deep in hard packed gravel alley without slowing down. The problem is , due to the bad bearings in the trans, it won't turn without out a fight. Right turns no problem, left turn trans binds up. That and the tank I soldered a new bottom on, and pressure tested (several times) developed a leak 2 weeks after I filled it.

I thought I had a line on a trans and fuel tank. I had a deal with a guy an hour away, but the van died.  The alternator died on the van the day before I went to see it. That cost a couple hundred,  the new serpentine belt cost 50 more, It will be a couple weeks to be able to pay for any tractor  parts, so, it, along with everything else, is on hold.

Don't worry it's not dead yet.

From what I've seen this far, this little beasty should do quite well. Its tough solid, and soon will have a new arse end.

It might be a wasted bit of time, but I had a job Interview with one of the local hydraulics shops last week. They do Eaton-Vickers pumps. and are familiar with the Eaton 10 series.

The possibilities are endless.

ordered some parts today for a pair of pull behind Haban tillers.

Simple little parts, but not in stock anywhere local. Once I get paid from that job, I can pay the fuel to travel and look/purchase whatever he has there.

• olcowhand, MH81, Alc and 3 others have said thanks

#275 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • 6,123 Thanks
  • 3,208 posts

Posted August 12, 2015 - 08:08 PM

Nice, things always take time and money. Great to hear that it works the way you hoped. I am making a middle buster plow for one of my fords, going to use it to dig potatoes, hopefully. Noel

#276 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted August 13, 2015 - 10:09 PM

I am making a middle buster plow for one of my fords, going to use it to dig potatoes, hopefully. Noel

Cool, It's always good to use a machine to it's fullest potential. Anything else is wasteful.

I'm already looking for ways to make this beasty more useful. 

I'm thinking It could rip a subsoiler pretty deep  (not deep enough for water but plenty deep for gas power and telecom setups). And I made allowances during the build process to allow for a front loader.

• Alc, KennyP and propane1 have said thanks

#277 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted August 29, 2015 - 04:11 PM

I picked up a transaxle and pump today from a guy a couple hours away. Now I can get started on rebuilding that one.

Nice thing is I don't need the big table for that so I can have other work going at the same time.

And Wouldn't you know it, I checked my email when I got home from picking it up and there is a 145 available. Some one responded to my ad a bit too late.

• MH81, KennyP, Rock farmer and 1 other said thanks

#278 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted September 02, 2015 - 04:23 PM

I have the new trans torn down on the bench and it looks really good inside. It had some slop in the axles when I got it so I still have to get into the differential, but I expect all it will need is a  new set of bearings and seals on the axles. All the gears and upper bearing look to be in really good shape. For now I'll use the pump and motor in the dozer, I know it works, and the pump on the new trans was ran backwards hooked up to a three cylinder Austin engine and with no oil filter. I doubt it would hurt anything, but I'll have it checked out before I use it.

I'm making a list of the bearings and they are standard and locally available. Seals are as well, the gasket is easy to make

Edited by Chopperhed, September 02, 2015 - 04:29 PM.

• olcowhand, MH81, Alc and 4 others have said thanks

#279 txdieseldog OFFLINE  

txdieseldog
  • Member No: 65961
  • 56 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted September 02, 2015 - 10:32 PM

Chopperhed, could you by chance put a list of those numbers with manufact and part #? Or even msg me with the info if you like. my Jake sat for some time and the diff is covered with oil for some reason. It worked awesome when it was put in the barn, so I don't think function will be an issue. Just need to make sure it will hold the fluid in this go round.

#280 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted September 05, 2015 - 11:18 PM

Chopperhed, could you by chance put a list of those numbers with manufact and part #? Or even msg me with the info if you like. my Jake sat for some time and the diff is covered with oil for some reason. It worked awesome when it was put in the barn, so I don't think function will be an issue. Just need to make sure it will hold the fluid in this go round.

Yup, working on it. I have an Excell file in progress.

I would suspect, if the tractor was not leaking when parked, that the excess oil is coming out of the vent from the expansion and contraction of the vapors inside.

I've got a vintage bike with an open vent that does the same thing..

However, that being said, seals do dry up and get hard,

Clean it off and run it a bit. If leaks show up you'll know what to fix.

• MH81 said thank you

#281 txdieseldog OFFLINE  

txdieseldog
  • Member No: 65961
  • 56 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted September 06, 2015 - 10:10 PM

Yup, working on it. I have an Excell file in progress.

I would suspect, if the tractor was not leaking when parked, that the excess oil is coming out of the vent from the expansion and contraction of the vapors inside.

I've got a vintage bike with an open vent that does the same thing..

However, that being said, seals do dry up and get hard,

Clean it off and run it a bit. If leaks show up you'll know what to fix.

I hadn't even thought of that. Duh!!!! It is TX after all. Gets really hot and sometimes pretty dang cold. Nowhere near as cold as you Canadians though. No offense but you can keep that kinda cold. lol Anxiously awaiting that spreadsheet. Thank you sir!!

#282 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted September 07, 2015 - 08:55 AM

I hadn't even thought of that. Duh!!!! It is TX after all. Gets really hot and sometimes pretty dang cold. Nowhere near as cold as you Canadians though. No offense but you can keep that kinda cold. lol Anxiously awaiting that spreadsheet. Thank you sir!!

I'll get that to you ASAP. I just need to cross reference what I have. There's a couple of bearings I can't get numbers off of, but I should be able to figure out what they are.

BTW I can handle the cold better than I can handle the heat. You can dress for cold, but you can only get so naked.

Edited by Chopperhed, September 07, 2015 - 08:57 AM.

• KennyP, skyrydr2 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#283 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted September 17, 2015 - 03:09 PM

I finished re-assembling the transaxle today, the parts I was promised for yesterday at  9:00 am didn't show till 2:00pm so I couldn't pick them up until this morning.

I took a pic of it next to the transaxle from a  MTD from the mid '90's

Transaxle 016.JPG

Now I have to figure out an easy way to get them swapped out without having to tear it completely apart, and with out a hoist

Edited by Chopperhed, September 17, 2015 - 03:10 PM.

• propane1 said thank you

#284 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted September 17, 2015 - 05:05 PM

Now wait a minute! Are you swapping in that silver thing for a real transaxle?

• Chopperhed and propane1 have said thanks

#285 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted September 17, 2015 - 06:26 PM

Now wait a minute! Are you swapping in that silver thing for a real transaxle?

No, it's a junk trans I pulled from an old MTD lawn tractor, I used the chassis to build a race mower a few years ago.

I was using using the shot as a comparison.

The Big blue beasty is getting a new driveline. Hydro pump and all

• Alc, KennyP, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks