• Chopperhed said thank you

#197 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted June 12, 2015 - 09:41 PM

Can you make one?? Noel

I don't have access to the equipment I need anymore. If I had a lathe it would be no problem, it would take all of 15 minutes and a chunk of material.

Making one with basic hand tools would take a lot more work..

• propane1 said thank you

#198 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted June 14, 2015 - 11:03 AM

UPDATE. All is not lost

So near as I can tell,the lack of a pilot bushing and old rags caused the problem.

All the threads are pulled out of the flywheel, I had to drill and tap just to get it off. I have a plan for a pilot bushing that should work ok. I'll be replacing all the rags. and  the flywheel has been tapped out.

I removed the motor mount plate which lowers the engine about 1/2" putting it more in line with the Hydro. The rear engine mounts for the original engine are used as well as a plate for the front mounts.

The next problem is getting the broken tap out of the flywheel. Of course, as always its the last hole I tapped.

I'll call around to a couple of shops to see what they can do.

If all else fails a new engine is only 380.00. I can get a flywheel for 50-70.00 but then I have to pay shipping, exchange and duty etc.

• MH81, TomLGT195 and propane1 have said thanks

#199 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,733 Thanks
  • 1,727 posts

Posted June 14, 2015 - 06:43 PM

It took me a while to find it so I'm probably to late. But here is a drive shaft that I built for my LGT165, it turned out great and it was a lot heavier then the original!.http://gardentractor...-i-found/page-3 Just scroll down a little and you will find it!.

I used conveyor belt for the rubber, I just used a 4" hole saw to cut it and it worked out perfect.

I hope things start working out better, I want to see a video of that thing in action!

• MH81, Alc and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#200 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted June 14, 2015 - 09:21 PM

I have an in with a local company that supplies reinforced rubber gaskets and other rubber products. They also sell more advanced materials that will probably out perform the originals. I'll be in touch with them in the morning.

• MH81, TomLGT195 and propane1 have said thanks

#201 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted June 15, 2015 - 12:24 PM

The "In" got me enough nylon reinforced neoprene to make 8 rags for free, because it wasn't worth the paperwork.

I picked up a new 15hp clone this morning and got it for $100.00 off. because they were on sale last week

I picked up enough bushing material to make 2 sets of pilot bushings for 15.00 because it was on sale this week

I'll probably be able to get everything in tomorrow.

I also got the cleats welded on to the ramps yesterday.

Edited by Chopperhed, June 15, 2015 - 12:24 PM.

• Cvans, TomLGT195 and propane1 have said thanks

#202 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted June 15, 2015 - 07:57 PM

It's been a productive day, I just need to cut some new rags, and I can throw the new power plant in. I have all the specialty parts swapped over, and the new engine has been tested.

I hope to get it in tomorrow, and finish up the wiring, On a side note I still have a good running Honda clone with a stuck tap in the flywheel that runs fine, and has a great stack on it. I just can't use it for anything that needs to be driven off the flywheel.

• TomLGT195 and propane1 have said thanks

#203 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted June 15, 2015 - 08:13 PM

. On a side note I still have a good running Honda clone

Sounds like a good source of parts when the time comes. 

#204 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted June 15, 2015 - 08:26 PM

Sounds like a good source of parts when the time comes. 

There is that to a point, the bores are different. However, I do have an extra quad suspension sitting around, and I'm going to need a new project soon.

• TomLGT195 and propane1 have said thanks

#205 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted June 16, 2015 - 05:56 PM

I spent a good part of the day getting the coupler dialed in to the crankshaft. I now have it running within .007 inches. Now working on the pattern for the rubbers. I built a new pilot bushing by pressing a 1/2" x 7/8" bushing into a 1-1/8" x 7/8" bushing, and pressing the whole thing into the coupler flange. I had to drill the pilot hole out to 7/8" to allow the fit, but it should work good. I got rid of the stack in favour of the stock muffler, it is so much quieter. I will miss seeing the flapper popping on the stack, but my ears and my neighbors will thank me.  Either way I have to notch the hood 1/2" on one side. The only difference being the width of the notch.

For future reference.  Mounting a Honda clone in this frame, while keeping the driveline straight, means that the only way to change the oil is with a pump. as I had to cut most of the heads of the drain plugs to get the engine to sit down properly. In the future, I'd add a front ( shaft side) plug to the engine ( would require a teardown) Also a different mounting system, or notching the frame would work too.

Edited by Chopperhed, June 17, 2015 - 09:09 AM.

• MH81, Alc, Cvans and 2 others have said thanks

#206 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted June 17, 2015 - 08:17 AM

I do have an extra quad suspension sitting around, and I'm going to need a new project soon.

Sounds like a nice golf cart project. They say if you graft a quad suspension onto the front of a golf cart they ride really nice look great. 

#207 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted June 17, 2015 - 09:17 AM

Sounds like a nice golf cart project. They say if you graft a quad suspension onto the front of a golf cart they ride really nice look great. 

I don't know what I'll do with it yet, The wife seems keen on a little dune buggy.

Most likely the engine will sit on the shelf until I need an engine for something i bought.

Edited by Chopperhed, June 17, 2015 - 03:16 PM.

• KennyP, Cvans, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#208 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted June 17, 2015 - 07:16 PM

Alright the new engine is in. Starts fine, just have to finish the wiring, and notch the hood.

On a side note, its never a good idea to start the engine before you make sure all the hydro connections are tight.

Apparently I need some more hydro fluid.

• MH81, Alc, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#209 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,669 posts

Posted June 18, 2015 - 04:27 AM

Alright the new engine is in. Starts fine, just have to finish the wiring, and notch the hood.

On a side note, its never a good idea to start the engine before you make sure all the hydro connections are tight.

Apparently I need some more hydro fluid.

Won't be any grass growing under there for a spell! May need to get several rolls of paper towels while your at it!

#210 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted June 18, 2015 - 07:43 AM

Won't be any grass growing under there for a spell! May need to get several rolls of paper towels while your at it!

It was on the table, no grass to worry about

I always keep a bag of kitty litter around for just such an occasion. And old sweat shirts suck up a surprising amount of oil.

Edited by Chopperhed, June 18, 2015 - 07:43 AM.

• KennyP said thank you