18 replies to this topic

#1 farmerall OFFLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,157 Thanks
  • 1,448 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 06:02 PM

Well one of them that is. I have had this truck for a little over a year now and I have started to work on it to get it road worthy because I need another truck since my 89 gmc broke down. This truck is a 88 Chevy that I picked up cheap just because I wanted it for spare parts or a back up. So far I have been working on the brakes and battling old brake lines. It seems each time I replace one line anther breaks. As of right now I have replaced 3 lines and have another one leaking. That's where I had to leave it since I ran out of time over the weekend.

Attached Thumbnails

• truck.jpg

Edited by farmerall, October 28, 2013 - 06:33 PM.

• Texas Deere and Horse, boyscout862, Dieselcubmike and 1 other said thanks

#2 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 06:18 PM

Ah, a familiar sight, a chevy on jacks ;) lol ;) 

• farmerall, superaben and JRJ have said thanks

#3 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,214 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 06:20 PM

I like how you put the wheels under the truck very smart. But I still dont like the jacks stands on dirt...

Edited by wilberj, October 28, 2013 - 06:21 PM.

• farmerall, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#4 farmerall OFFLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • 2,157 Thanks
  • 1,448 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 06:42 PM

But I still dont like the jacks stands on dirt...

I agree, concrete would have been better but I have to make due with what I have right now. Once I get the brakes sorted out I will be able to get the truck to my work and use the garage there.

• JRJ said thank you

#5 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,337 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 07:13 PM

Once you get a leak in brake lines because of rust your better off to replace all of them at the same time.Get your self a harbor freight Flare tool with the Double flare kit and a 25 foot foot roll of line and some new fittings for the brake cylinders and 2 quart jugs of Dot 2/3 brake fluid.

You can reuse most of the fittings unless they have alot of rust on them.

• HDWildBill, farmerall, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#6 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 07:23 PM

Nice looking truck. Taking my '89 K1500 Chevy off the road this winter and repainting it. Needs a new clutch also. I did the front brake lines on mine. Was goingto replace just one side, but I decided to do all the front lines. The rears were new from when I bought it.

• farmerall and JRJ have said thanks

#7 farmerall OFFLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • 2,157 Thanks
  • 1,448 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 07:29 PM

Nice looking truck. Taking my '89 K1500 Chevy off the road this winter and repainting it. Needs a new clutch also. I did the front brake lines on mine. Was goingto replace just one side, but I decided to do all the front lines. The rears were new from when I bought it.

Thanks, this truck looks a lot better in the pictures than it actually is. Somehow there is at least one dent on just about every body panel and there is a lot of rust repair. Basically the body isn't that good but the frame and drivetrain is. Eventually I want to repair and repaint my 89 gmc K1500 and also convert it to a 5sp because I have horrible luck with auto transmissions in that truck.

Here is a picture of the 89 before the transmission lost second gear again.

truck.jpg

• oldedeeres and JRJ have said thanks

#8 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 08:44 PM

If it makes you feel better, I'm battling the brake lines on my 2005 GMC. I replaced the brake line. Now I can't bleed the brakes because all the bleeders are stuck! I replaced one rear wheel cylinder. Now I need to replace the front calipers!

I really hate this truck! My 96' GMC was such a good truck! The salt rusts them underneath.

Joe
  • JRJ said thank you

#9 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 05:47 AM

Good luck with your brake lines , the only advise I can give is when making up new lines put the nut on before you flare it :wallbanging:  :wallbanging: , I seem to forget   lol

• EricFromPa, HDWildBill, farmerall and 3 others have said thanks

#10 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,806 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 08:24 AM

PB Blaster for a few days has worked wonders on bleeding nipples for me. I got a much better quality double flaring tool at a fleamarket for $15. It is atleast 50 years old and in its original box. It works beautifully. The trick is to carefully get all burrs off of the tube before trying to flare. I get my brake lines from Northern Auto or Rock Auto depending on their sales. Buying a bundle of 10 - 5 foot long 3/16" tubes with fittings on them saves time and money. I cut off what I need and only have to do one dflare. I get some connectors for the long run front to back. Whitney sells the kits with 25' of tube and a dozen fittings.

When one brake line goes, you should just replace all steel and flex lines. It saves time and is safer in the long run. I blew a line in my van so I replaced all the lines even though most looked good.
Carefull inspection found small bad spots on all of them, usually where they were clamped. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, October 29, 2013 - 08:25 AM.

• HDWildBill and JRJ have said thanks

#11 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 10:19 AM

Have to agree with Boyscout on replacing all brake lines!! Had some problems with my Buick Rendevous, so borrowed my dad's nice 97 Le Sabre a few weeks ago to go get parts. Would'nt you know I blew a brake line on his car while leaving the parts store??

At the time he had his 96 Chevy pickup down working on the brakes.

I'm beginnig to think every 10 yr old or older car need the brake lines checked and replaced!!

Especially if you live where salt is used to clear ice!!

Edited by JD DANNELS, October 29, 2013 - 10:20 AM.

#12 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 12:37 PM

I have my dad's 93 I have to replace a brake line on, already did the rearend section yrs ago. Sad part is, I replaced this same one a few years ago, rotted in the same place as last time, right were it bends down on top of the frame comine from Master cyl.

#13 farmerall OFFLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • 2,157 Thanks
  • 1,448 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 09:27 PM

Just a quick update.

With school and the cold weather I haven't had much time to work on the truck and when I had the time it freezing cold outside. Crawling around on a cold and wet gravel driveway isn't may idea of fun lol. While I was home for Christmas I drove the truck around my yard a few times and noticed the temperature gauge wasn't working. Then when I would shut the key off the gauge would show the engine temp. My guess is that I have a bad connection somewhere. This truck has enough electrical problems as it is so I have decided to not even bother trying to sort out the temp gauge issue. Instead I bought a triple gauge set today and will just wire it so I can have a working temp gauge and I will also plumb in the oil pressure gauge too. I don't think I'll use the volt gauge though since the one in the dash still works and that's more complicated wiring to get it to work.

Attached Thumbnails

• gauges.jpg

• boyscout862 said thank you

#14 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 09:10 AM

As per the brake lines. I had new ones put on my 02 ranger last year almost every bend was rotted. The shop used some copper alloy line which will probably outlast the truck. He told me he is seeing vehicles coming in 3 or 4 years old with rust issues. Out here they spray roads before it snows and they like there road salt. So i make it a point now to really wash the undersides as much as i can
  • farmerall and boyscout862 have said thanks

#15 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 01:44 PM

My buddy has a small repair shop gas station. He said he can retire from GM products brake lines. He always has an older truck in there doing brakes.

He replaces them with some kind of alloy line. Said they will last forever.

Edited by toomanytoys84, January 26, 2014 - 01:45 PM.

• Alc and farmerall have said thanks