17 replies to this topic

#1 DB1 OFFLINE  

DB1

• Member No: 7710
  • 272 Thanks
  • 282 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 04:59 PM

Hi All,

This Grand Haven is one of our newest projects. 

It is a model BC with a Briggs and Stratton ZZ engine.

This is my husband's project. 

Attached Thumbnails

• G H.jpg
  • Grand Haven.jpg

• Gtractor, MH81, Alc and 3 others have said thanks

#2 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 05:41 PM

I have a neighbor that has one like that. It was his dads and they used it to skid loogs from the woods behind their houe to mill to make boards for their saw mill. It sits in a bunch of tall grass awaiting his restoration of it. NO he woun't sell it I've tried. He says being it was his dads he will get around to restoring it someday.

Looks like a great project for your husband. Will be anxiously awaiting restoration pictures. Good Luck. Roger.

• Alc and DB1 have said thanks

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 07:21 PM

That Grand Haven will be a horse with that ZZ on there.  Keep us in the loop as he gets 'er done.   I'll be curious. 

Ben W.

• DB1 said thank you

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 07:54 PM

I'm looking forwards to the restoration. Looks like a great tractor!
  • DB1 said thank you

#5 DB1 OFFLINE  

DB1

• 272 Thanks
  • 282 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 09:42 PM

Hi All,

Thanks for following.

The steering and suspension was all locked up.  We had to tear it apart and loosen it.

Both sides of the front axles needed to be welded, because someone had cut them off to remove the wheels.  We had to get a new axle shaft and hub for each side.  The rear wheels are off a David Bradley- need new tires.

The front wheels are not going to be original if my son and I have anything to say about it.  The wheel currently on the front of the GH is off a boat trailer.

We have a matching set and we think they look good on it.  But, it my husband project and our thoughts will be trumped. Darn!  Not our project.  We all work on it so I think we all ought to have a say so.

I'm sure some of you guys are glad you don't have a woman to interject her opinions on your projects.  He tolerates my strong opinions.  He can't fight with me being right. LOL!

Attached Thumbnails

• G.H. front.jpg
  • gh1.jpg

• Alc, Talntedmrgreen and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 05:17 AM

Very neat project!  I've only seen a handful of Grand Haven's....they were built a half hour from me.

• DB1 said thank you

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,628 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 05:24 AM

Thanks for that close-up of the front steering and axle !  Never saw a set-up like that before !

• MH81 and DB1 have said thanks

#8 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 05:54 AM

Cool tractor, thanks for posting this article and pics!  Looks like a great project.  Can't wait to see it done!

• DB1 said thank you

#9 DB1 OFFLINE  

DB1

• 272 Thanks
  • 282 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 11:34 AM

I hope you guys continue to save these types of rare tractors.  This one needed work that is for sure.  But, we like a challenge around here.

We saved this from the scrapyard.  The cultivators were already cutoff and disposed of.

Since my son has an A.C.-G, we thought it would be a good edition to our collection.  Their rarity, rear engine design and the front end suspension configuration make it a keeper. Plus, our Page needed a sidekick.

I have been trying to do research on this one. Only about 1000 Grand Haven's were produced.

From what I gather the BC's are 4 wheeled and the CC-3's were a tricycle design. I have never seen one of those.  If you have a photo please post it. 

If anyone knows what models were produced and the numbering of them please list them here.

BC and the CC-3 are the only models of I know of.

We think this ours is a 1948 model from the information we currently have on this tractor.  The BCs were only made from 1946-48.  Since the serial number is high I figure it is from the last year.

With the manufactured number being so low it is no wonder you haven't seen many of them.  We didn't realize just how rare they were when we bought it.

If anyone has any history, stories or pictures please post it here.  I always want to learn more about our projects.

Thanks for you interest and your comments.

DB1

• MH81, Alc and Talntedmrgreen have said thanks

#10 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 12:03 PM

If you haven't visited Karl Brandt's site, he has a page with some GH info here:

http://www.simplicit...aven/Grand.html

I ran across a BC, sitting roadside in Wayland, MI, about 3-4 years ago.  At the time, I no means to pick it up (they wanted a staggering $300!...I'd give that in a hearbeat now).  Had I known just what it was, I would have snagged it.  It sat for a few weeks, before vanishing.  I was able to drive it...it was rust free, with a plow and cultivators.  I distinctly remember a Wisconson engine, as it was one of the first I ever looked over in person.  The tractor was actually quite large...now quite as big as the AC-G you mention, but it has a large footprint, kinda like a Gibson.

I'm pretty sure she's still owned locally...it was not advertised, but sat next door to the weekly livestock auction house.  I sure would love to track it down now, being Michigan built, and all.

Looking forward to your project!

• Alc and DB1 have said thanks

#11 DB1 OFFLINE  

DB1

• 272 Thanks
  • 282 posts

Posted October 30, 2013 - 02:00 PM

Well, we got the tractor up on 4 wheels.  It beats the blocks.  Now, we can move it around.  The steering handle needs to be rebuilt or a new one made.  Should be easy an enough to fix.  The cover needs to be straightened, too.  

There is a lot of play in the steering due to the wearing of the parts.

Attached Thumbnails

• G.H. side.jpg
  • GH cover.jpg

• Alc said thank you

#12 bgkid2966 ONLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted October 30, 2013 - 08:28 PM

That is one neat looking GT! I can't wait to see the rest of the project! Thank you for sharing. I have never seen a Grand Haven before.

Geno

• DB1 said thank you

#13 DB1 OFFLINE  

DB1

• 272 Thanks
  • 282 posts

Posted November 02, 2013 - 06:23 PM

Here is the steering handle for the G.H. My husband claims it looked like they loaded this one by pulling on the handle. The rod was broken and bent. Together my husband and I were able to straighten it and weld it back together. He welded and as I held it in place. Our plan is to use this as a pattern for a new handle. The original curved part of the handle will be used in the final project. It might be hard to replicate that curve. This way it will be perfect.

Attached Thumbnails

• GH handlebar.jpg

• Columbia236 and MadAtGrass have said thanks

#14 MadAtGrass OFFLINE  

MadAtGrass
  • Member No: 49320
  • 76 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 02:06 AM

That is simply amazing. I don't suspect any of those made it as far east as Vermont, but I's sure like to see one close up. Good Luck on the restoration.  :watch_over_fence:

• DB1 said thank you

#15 youngrobert2008 OFFLINE  

youngrobert2008
  • Member No: 71887
  • 4 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted June 12, 2015 - 09:57 PM

My dad has 2 grand haven tractors, would like to get together with other grand haven tractor owners. Would like to get with Grand Haven stamping, where the tractor was made and all join in on the parade together. It would be cool. Please, if you have any information on these tractors send me a pm

Attached Thumbnails

• Grand Haven 1.jpg
  • Grand Haven 2.jpg

• MH81 and DB1 have said thanks