• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 70 sear surburban OFFLINE  

70 sear surburban
  • Member No: 49065
  • 3 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 03:40 PM

I went and bought a 70 Sears Suburban that I want to restore as a project for me and my son. If anybody can help me, I need all the help I can get. I don't know anything about them, but would love to know more.
  • Texas Deere and Horse, hamman and Dieselcubmike have said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse ONLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,461 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 03:58 PM

Welcome to GTtalk. I moved your thread over to the Sears forum, there are a lot of guys here who can help you. Be sure to ask all the questions you have and post some photos also. Good Luck and keep us up to date on how things are going!!

• Member No: 10038
  • 4,664 Thanks
  • 4,212 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 06:06 PM

:welcometogttalk: , and :wewantpics:

#4 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

• Member No: 11127
  • 1,325 Thanks
  • 1,509 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 06:32 PM

Hello and welcome! :thumbs:

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,643 Thanks
  • 28,301 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 06:45 PM

:welcome: to GTTalk
Sears you say... I might have one around here some where's... :D
What HP? What color scheme? Any attachments? How's she running?

If you get a chance, post up a picture or two and we will try to help you out all we can.
As for picture loading, there is a great tutorial one of our mods did here: http://gardentractor...file-uploading/

#6 crittersf1 ONLINE  

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,117 Thanks
  • 5,667 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 05:48 AM

:welcometogttalk: :wewantpics:

#7 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,581 Thanks
  • 38,979 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 06:22 AM

Welcome to the forum! I have a few of them myself, but they are all 80's models. Quite a few folks on here with 70's models though. Pics can help a lot when asking questions and getting good answers!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,414 Thanks
  • 4,880 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 08:35 AM

Sounds like you got a 12 Hp suburban, they are decent little tractors. Sears only offered a 12 Hp in the 'burbs in 1970, they were a "suburban" or super suburban "SS12" which just meant it got woodgrain on dash, cig lighter, and wider rear tires.

It should have a flat head Tecumseh engine, good motors, but carb's were prone to shaft bushing wear causing erratic running, but there is rebuild kits or you can send it to Carb Rescue.

The ignition was a "solid state ignition" system using a self contained module similar to a magneto. This is, in my opinion, their biggest achilles heal. There are some 40 yr old used ones on ebay if needed, but way overpricedd and there are better, more modern updated built systems to replace it, if yours ever goes out. Sometimes ignition switches fail, but that's with any old GT.

They came in either a geared differential, 3 speed with hi/low/reverse, some will call it an 8 spd rear. There was also a hydro model, those are pretty scarce. I would first off drain the rearend and put back in 5 gts of non detergent 30wt motor oil. They are a pain to fill tough, filler neck is under left fender and there is no vent so it takes like forever to stream oil in. I've acutally turn tractor up on it's side, remove neck and pour in througha tube. I recommend changing though as they like to collect moisture, stuff in my '77 looked like chocolate milk.

You can also get a 3 pt hitch for the back to use implements with. Sears had a "cat 0" size although I call it a sub cat 0 as it's only 12 1/2" so wide between pins, standard cat 0 is 19-20". Implements should be fairly easy to find or if you are handy, not hard to make.

just alitte info, ask away if you have any other questions

• MH81 said thank you