22 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 02:50 PM

I work for an underground coal mine based in Ohio.  Have for the last 10 years.  Good living, honest work, and to me enjoyable work.

Tomorrow we are all heading to D.C. to protest global warming, dust laws, and a few other things for good measure.  A lot of these mindless regulations and knee jerk reactions are hurting our industry.  And its time for us to stand up for ourselves and make it known how we feel about people trying to tell us how to run our mine but they have never even been to a coal mine. 

Not sure where most of  you stand politically, I do not want this to turn into a political debate!  Please. 

Making this post to share some pictures, and maybe a video or two.  Us hard working guys can go out there and play in the capital too!

I've never been to DC so it should be a pretty cool visit either way.

Edited by toomanytoys84, October 28, 2013 - 02:51 PM.

• TheFarm2004, Gtractor, MH81 and 7 others have said thanks

#2 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 03:28 PM

I like burning coal.  It's gotten so high around here that I've got it setting in a spare room and using a wood burner.  The coal sure made the house warmer when I got out of bed in the morning.

• oldedeeres and JRJ have said thanks

#3 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 03:35 PM

Coal is a valuable resource and is an alternative fuel for power. Thank You for" diggin the gold" as my BILs dad used to say. He dug coal for 35 yrs around Harlen KY.. Give em heck in Washington. Most ao America is behind you. Thanks. Roger.

• oldedeeres and JRJ have said thanks

#4 freedhardwoods OFFLINE  

freedhardwoods
  • Member No: 47074
  • 374 Thanks
  • 197 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 04:10 PM

I know how you feel. They are doing the same thing to trucking. They have the rules set up now so what used to be a nice enjoyable run is a stressful, run as hard as you can day just to have to stop and twiddle your thumbs for hours on end.

I truly believe you are wasting your time by protesting though. Our country is past the point of no return financially and the government knows it. Homeland Security didn't buy 2700 MRAP's and 1.6 billion rounds of ammo for nothing.

I always make sure I have enough fuel to get home before I go to bed because I may wake up one day and not be able to buy any. I am expecting a financial crash in the near future that will make the depression of '29 look minor.

Edited by freedhardwoods, October 28, 2013 - 04:14 PM.

• hamman, IamSherwood, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#5 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 04:17 PM

I wish you luck with the protest and hope things work out for y'all. Someone has to do it and speak up for y'all and why not the ones it effects.

Dick

• hamman and oldedeeres have said thanks

#6 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 04:21 PM

I used to work in an open pit coal mine in Pa and my boss always told me to question MSHA and I did.

We once got cited for not having a step on the push arm of a 455 dozer.They never came with one from the factory in which I argued to one inspector.The other inspector was familiar with the dozer and confirmed that it did not have one on from the factory but still wrote us up for it.We did weld steps on from time to time but they would not last long when you were pushing rock.

Another time we got cited for not having a fan guard so we installed one and it passed and 6 months later another inspector wrote us up for same guard that the other inspector passed.

#7 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,655 Thanks
  • 7,679 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 04:23 PM

I don't know dick about coal mining. Can you tell us about the health effects on the miners?

• oldedeeres said thank you

#8 case1man OFFLINE  

case1man
  • Member No: 40153
  • 101 Thanks
  • 106 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 04:24 PM

I also work in a underground coal mine in western Ky it is getting hard to keep working with some of the silly laws they have they are supposed to be looking out for our best interest but any more its just a money game

#9 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 05:13 PM

Let's keep this civil and not a political bashing thread.  :watching_you:

Toomanytoys; you will enjoy DC if you get a chance to look around.  I've been there several times when I was stationed in Va Beach.  There are a lot of sites but the one I'm fond of is the Smithsonian.  Especially the aviation building.  Have fun.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#10 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 06:08 PM

Just started reading this post as it is coming on the evening news.

Good luck with your efforts.

#11 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 09:04 PM

http://www.friendsof...ally-in-dc.html

leaving in an hour. I agree its a waste of time. But im doing something.
  • freedhardwoods said thank you

#12 freedhardwoods OFFLINE  

freedhardwoods
  • Member No: 47074
  • 374 Thanks
  • 197 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 05:23 AM

http://www.friendsof...ally-in-dc.html

leaving in an hour. I agree its a waste of time. But im doing something.

Over the years I have made phone calls and written letters about laws that keep taking our rights away.

During the last HOS rules change comment period, I wrote a professional (other peoples description, not mine), one page letter. I went to many trucking companies in the area with hundreds of copies because most people won't take the time to write a letter, but they will take the time to sign their name. Also, many letters with one signature makes a bigger impression than one letter with many signatures.

I am firmly convinced I was wasting my time.

I do really appreciate people like you that are willing to do something. It was that kind of people that created this great country and the principles it was built on..

Edited by freedhardwoods, October 29, 2013 - 05:40 AM.

#13 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 05:42 AM

Good luck with the protest :thumbs:   I think the coal fires power plants( biggest users ? )  have come a long way as far as emisions go  and we shouldn't give up on them yet .

#14 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 05:51 AM

Thanks for standing up and speaking out for what you believe in, it is our right as Americans to do so!  Good luck and have a safe trip!

#15 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted October 30, 2013 - 08:14 AM

Trip is interesting. Still on the bus just crossed the pa border. I havent really slept in 30 hours. Maybe 2 hours total. Rally was interesting. About 30 senators, state reps and a few governors gave speeches supporting coal and energy independence.

the capital is beautiful

Edited by toomanytoys84, October 30, 2013 - 08:44 AM.