• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 HomkoBot OFFLINE  

HomkoBot
  • Member No: 49001
  • 10 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 12:53 PM

Hello this is my first time on here but I feel confident I can find help. I have what I believe to be a early standard single. I hope to restore it this winter and a cruical part of that would be figuring out what color to paint it. I can see traces of a maroon red on the main body and a solid coat of the red in the points cover. My question though is what was the rest of it painted and what color matches these two (or more) colors if any. I have heard of a green color on the wheels but was it used on other parts of the tractor? Part of figuring this out I am sure would involve year, and it would be good to know regardless if it can be pin pointed. The handlebar tag is long gone but the serial number punched ahead of the engine reads 9902. If any pictures I can take besides the ones below that would help the dating please ask.

On another subject there are a few parts missing. These would be the oil pump assembly, fan shroud, and battery box cover. If anyone knows where some spare parts are I would greatly appreciate the lead. I will need new handlebars too but that is something I could hopefully get made locally. Regardless any help is appreciated. Thankyou for your time.

Attached Thumbnails

• 073.JPG
  • 075.JPG
  • 010.JPG

• MH81, hamman, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#2 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,446 Thanks
  • 3,993 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 01:12 PM

Sorry, I can't answer your questions, but I like to say  :welcometogttalk:

• HomkoBot said thank you

#3 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,287 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 01:45 PM

Welcome to the forum. That style tractor was built from 27-33. There is no true way to date those early machines. We've been testing a theory but your number is one that throws the theory out the window. It looks like your manifold is made for the air cleaner that sticks straight up? I always figure those at more late 20's. Most of these were green and red in some combination but they weren't all alike. The heavy orangish red was supposedly the primer.

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 02:09 PM

Welcome to GTT. Relax and enjoy the site. Good Luck, Rick

#5 HomkoBot OFFLINE  

HomkoBot
  • 10 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 02:58 PM

Thankyou very much and thank you DougT, it sounds like its a real mess with these early models. If you dont mind me asking what is the theory you have been testing? Oh and yes it has a straight up air cleaner that looks like a soup can. I was taking these pictures around the time I got the engine running and was priming the engine from there so thats why it is missing. Also, when you say late 20's is that including 27-29 or just before 1930 essentially? Last as far as paint goes I would have guessed it was primer too if i had not been told they had a red belly, but the paint in the points cover is too glossy, and is like a early farmall red. Thanks again.

Edited by HomkoBot, October 28, 2013 - 02:59 PM.

#6 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 06:13 PM

:welcometogttalk:, and thanks for the photos.

#7 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,287 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 07:39 AM

The dating theory isn't mine and I think it better I don't put it out here. It is also based on this style tractor starting in 25 which I don't agree with either. The first Standards used the second generation Kinkaid engine with an adapter for a 2 wheel tractor. You can see that tractor in the pinned Standard thread. That engine was used in the Kinkaid from 24-26. I would concede that 26 could be a switch over and you may see both styles. The upright soup can air cleaner was a kinkaid item. My earliest Standard of your style still used the carb from the 2nd gen Kinkaid. Next you see the Zenith carb and still using the Kinkaid air cleaner. Later, the carb was put down on the side and used an air cleaner like the later Monarch. Exactly when these changes occur isn't written in stone anywhere so your guess is as good as anybody's. I've tried to date changes by advertising but you see ads with generic pictures of the early machines long after they were discontinued.

I have a machine with the same manifold as yours so I went out and checked it's number last night in the dark. It's # 9983. I noticed something interesting was mine seems to show signs of silver paint under the grease. What do you think of the silver paint on yours? Mine also has signs of green. I'll have to look closer in daylight this weekend. Sometimes all you can do is scrape through the paint and see what you can find. I've seen them all red, all green and various combinations. I've often suspected that they may have been sold through other names but so far that hasn't panned out either. We do know that they sold Walsh tractors under the Sears Handiman name.

I wouldn't run the tractor without an oil pump. The rod bearing won't last long!

• Alc and HomkoBot have said thanks

#8 HomkoBot OFFLINE  

HomkoBot
  • 10 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 08:21 PM

It seems alot of garden tractors are up to speculation as far as production goes. I started collecting with David Bradleys and it really confused me how they had the time to put a series number but no serial number. Anyway speaking of carburators mine has a zenith but it always bothered me how it was mounted. The tractor in all seemed well built but the carburator, even though it fit, did not seem to match. I will have to look at one with a zenith carburator and with a kinkade carburator to compare. It really does not affect its function at all besides the fact that there is really no good way to get to the choke but who knows. Can you tell anything from my manifold?

As far as paint goes I have a good feeling it was someones yard ornament for a while. I think the silver was spray paint because its frosted over lots grease. The wheels it looks like a paint brush right over rust. The wheel itself is pitted on the inside and is well covered with paint. But I may have missed something. You did get me thinking though. I have already started to break it down to see if I could find traces of paint. What i found is some areas of like a black and dark blue. The black might just be oxidized metal but that blue color seemed odd to me. It wasnt very prevelent though.

Dont worry about me running it, I just wanted to prove it would run before I dreamed of restoring it. I ran it long enough to get a video or two of it running and trying out the clutch. Funny thing, someone put the ratchet mechanism so it would not grab... I still cant figure why someone would do that.

Anyway seems our tractors were not made too far apart, it will be nice to have something to compare to. Thanks again!

• DB1 said thank you

#9 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,287 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 10:25 AM

Took a few pics over the weekend. This is the first carb design on your style machine. This carb is the carryover from the 1st style shown in the Standard thread.     

DSC01659.JPG  

This is the style that your machine uses.

DSC01652.JPG                 DSC01656.JPG

the 3rd style would have been the same as the Monarch with the carb down lower on the right and the aircleaner hooked direct to the front of the carb facing forward. When these changes occur are basically a guess. I'm not sure if there is a list of Zenith carb numbers and dates anywhere. Don't think I've ever seen one.

• DB1 and HomkoBot have said thanks

#10 HomkoBot OFFLINE  

HomkoBot
  • 10 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted November 05, 2013 - 11:33 AM

It apperars your carburator is a 7138 B and mine is a 7138. Here is an interesting document I found. I would just post the picture but I cannot seem to figure out how to post a picture in a existing forum. www.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/Carbs/Zenith/Specifications/image29.html Though this information is straight from zenith it confuses me. Is it possibly becasuse 1934 is significant to a change in the company that would ignore the existance of previous tractors? Either way I hope someone can figure out what that means.

Edited by HomkoBot, November 05, 2013 - 11:48 AM.

• DougT said thank you

#11 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,287 posts

Posted November 05, 2013 - 02:30 PM

That is an interesting chart. Don't think I've ever seen that one before. I'll have to go back to that site and see what else I can find. Here it is.    

zenithcarbspecifications.jpg

#12 HomkoBot OFFLINE  

HomkoBot
  • 10 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 10:21 AM

So what do you suppose a match for the red and green is? I would like to get ahold of the paint. Though I have not seen one restored yet... do you have a restored picture as well?

#13 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,287 posts

Posted November 09, 2013 - 09:48 AM

I would say the older Farmall red would be a good match. For the green I go with something like the rustoleum forest green. You mentioned that you had a good sample of the red, can you find a decent sample of the green? I used to fret over the exact shade of something but after you've seen enough originals, you start to realize the colors weren't always consistant. I quit beating myself up over paint and just get something to get it covered.

#14 HomkoBot OFFLINE  

HomkoBot
  • 10 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted November 10, 2013 - 12:32 PM

The green is gone without a trace. I think they got alot of rust in them in its lifetime. Forest green sounds good though. I do want to mention one thing, a guy I talked to showed me an original and it was odd, everything that was not actually part of the base was green i.e. the engine head the access cover ect. I am going to guess the cultivator would be green or was it accented? Is the support for the handlebars one way or the other? Last do I paint the galvanized parts like the gas tank and the engine shroud whenever i get it? I know it cannot be perfect but I guess I am going for best case scenareo. I figure this was kind of like some small tractor companies that would just use up the paint at the end of the day that used a two tone paint scheme. Thankyou for your patience and advice.

Almost forgot, how on earth do you get the battery box off? This has been a mystery to me for about a year now.

Edited by HomkoBot, November 10, 2013 - 12:36 PM.