• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 02:01 AM

I bought my sears some time ago, cleaned the carb got her fired up and she smokes like a chimney fire so what would be a good bolt in replacement motor for her, looking for any and all ideas. also a few pics.dave 031.JPG                                                                                                             dave 029.JPG                                                                                                             dave 033.JPG                                                                                                             thank's for looking and your input , also would like to stay away from the tecumseh motors... Thanks

Edited by T Guiles, October 28, 2013 - 02:05 AM.

• JRJ said thank you

#2 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,410 Thanks
  • 3,160 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 03:07 AM

Kohler :thumbs: 

• WNYTractorTinkerer, JRJ and T Guiles have said thanks

#3 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,452 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 05:28 AM

Your tractor look very nice , woudn't it be easier to rebuild the old motor ?  It won't cure the oil problem but did you try using synthetic motor oil ? I'm using it my DB with Wisconssion 6hp and though it still puffs it isn't nearly as bad as before , I don't know the long term effects of using it is though .

• superaben, JRJ and T Guiles have said thanks

#4 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 06:11 AM

I can't say for sure, if a 12 kohler will fit physically, without having to

butcher the hood, but that would be my first choice too. Those are

nice machines (I've got one too) and I think it'd be nice to keep

it era correct, rather than a clone power plant.

Hopefully someone chimes in with dimensions of a kohler, so you

can start investigating.

• JRJ and T Guiles have said thanks

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 06:19 AM

Synthetic oil will probably not hurt the old engines, even though it wouldn't be my preference.  Just don't switch back now to standard, that is worse.

I would also suggest Kohler.  They are great old engines.

Ben W.

• JRJ and T Guiles have said thanks

#6 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,289 Thanks
  • 28,622 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 06:42 AM

I'm wondering if maybe you have some stuck rings. How long have you run it since getting it to run?

If you need to do a repower, I would say Kohler too. Here is a post about a Teccy tractor repowered to Kohler by IHCUBGUY http://gardentractor...ut really nice.
  • IamSherwood, JRJ and T Guiles have said thanks

#7 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 08:24 AM

I'm not sure this is relevant any longer, but when Synthetic first came out there was a problem with it eating seals.

• T Guiles said thank you

#8 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 09:04 AM

I would first say, that is not the original motor for that tractor. Tractor is a '68 or 69, Sears didn't start using the overhead valve motors until '73 I believe at the earliest. Someone butched up your side of the grill also as the cut it out for the motor to fit in.

Look down on the corner of the motor near were it bolts to frame under carb/front flywheel area and see what number is stamped, that will tell you if it truly is a 12 Hp. I think it came from another brand myself due to color and how gas tank is mounted. Actually looking at pics again with the gas tank mounted to engine and the voltage regulator in the flywheel, it definitely came from something else, maybe generator ( usually tapered shafts though) or the factory replacements came like that also.

You can put in about any brand if you are willing to modify both structurally and wiring. kohler, Briggs, single cyl diesel, even the Predator motors from Harbor Freight. All depends on what your flavor is and you skill to do it. The stock pulleys are 1 1/8" I believe so if you want to try to keep those, you will need same crank to match.

I would try to pour some Marvel mystery oil down cyl and in gas tank and run it for a bit and see if it clears up any.

Edited by TAHOE, October 28, 2013 - 11:12 AM.

• hamman and T Guiles have said thanks

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 10:23 AM

It might be worth pulling the head to see what things look like. As far as synthetics go I know that amsoil makes a synthetic designed for small engines and it is a replacement for 30wt as well as 10w30.

• Alc, TAHOE and T Guiles have said thanks

#10 Grumpy OFFLINE  

Grumpy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 440
  • 642 Thanks
  • 578 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 10:32 AM

I tried using Synthetic in my puller and couldn't keep crank and rod bearings in it, now I use straight 30W with 20% Lucis oil stablizer. Now that's what I run in every small engine that has solid lifters.

Edited by Grumpy, October 28, 2013 - 10:41 AM.

• Alc and T Guiles have said thanks

#11 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 12:51 PM

I also really like the Kohler motors, they work great and have great power in my Fords.  I am sure it's not the original power plant in the tractor now and have found out the Tecumseh's are very costly to rebuild if you can even find the rebuild kit. What is the quality of the harbor freight motors? I understand they have a a single cylinder diesel that pull's pretty good.  I'm not looking to restore to original just make a good little worker for around the house....Thanks again 

#12 Grumpy OFFLINE  

Grumpy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 440
  • 642 Thanks
  • 578 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 01:10 PM

Last night a friend came over with the head off of his Sears with the ex. valve seat loose. I installed the seat, ground the seats and the valves and told him to look for a Kohler.

Grumpy

#13 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 08:43 AM

Last night a friend came over with the head off of his Sears with the ex. valve seat loose. I installed the seat, ground the seats and the valves and told him to look for a Kohler.

Grumpy

Must've been an OH160 motor, I had to replace the head on mine the seat rattled around so bad it destroyed the head.

Tec's get a bad rap, but I like mine....it hung alright at plow day with all those "other" tractors :D

I have heard good things about the HF motors, there is also a bunch of aftermarket upgrades I've recently found out. I know the 6 1/2 hp I think will fit with relatively little mods, new clutch bracket will be needed to be made and the old pulleys can work but you have to buy a bushing as HF motor is on 1" shaft.  I think the bigger 11 HP or maybe it's a 13 requires more mods as it's a bigger motor, definitely have to cut grill for breather unless you make custom modded one, looks like your grill has already been hacked though.

There has been a few guys on MTF that have done threads on the swaps.

I know nothing of the diesels.

#14 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 09:42 AM

Thanks for all the advise, I'm going to start shopping for a kohler.

#15 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 09:56 AM

you will have to change out ignition switch and some electrical as they will be different, basically an almost total re-wire.