Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 05:36 AM

I tried using a Sears middle buster that was mod. by po it worked  ok  to get most but wasn't wide enough to get all and when I till that area there were quite a few potatoes left. Never got around to try welding  rods that were suggested

http://gardentractor...o-digger/page-2

#17 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 08:06 AM

I bought a Middlebuster for my Ford 1500 last spring.. In some parts of the country they are called a Lister Plow.

I used it to plow the garden before tilling last spring and again Sunday afternoon, before tilling.

While my tractor is a litle bigger than yours, I'm sure yours would pull one too.

Harvesting this year was the first time I never used a fork to dig potatoes and the middlebuster(My Dad Calls it a potato Plow) worked beautifully.  With 4- 70 ft rows I think I only had about 6 potatoes damaged by digging, and sure can't say that about using a fork.

I could dig, pick up and haul in a 70 ft row in less than an hour. 

Places like Tractor Supply and Agri-Supply can sell you the Shoes/Shovels/Sweeps(whatever you want to call them, they are not overly expensive) and with your fabricating skills you can surely make one fit your tractor.

I'm thinking of fabing up one with two spaced wide enough to do the hilling?

• Alc said thank you

#18 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 3,988 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 08:19 AM

I know, I know!  I had an inkling it would be a lot of work to dig by hand, and it proved it out in spades (no pun intended).  I've seen some Cat 1 middle busters, and I have the furrowing blade to make a digger--just didn't get it done... too busy buying tractors and shuffling them around the yard  ;o}

If anyone's made one for Cat 0, let me know... I'm not going through this next year!!

Yep, nothing like new potatoes, or a vine-ripened tomato fresh in a salad or on a big juicy hamburger!!

Smitty

Forget the hamburger, Smitty :( better eat a good piece of meat! 2013 was to dry in germany and so the potato and the cabbage harvest was really bad.

Therefore it's raining daylie now. And seven persons died in case of the stormy weather only in D.

• Alc said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: garden, potatoes