Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 10:36 PM

I mentioned in another post this spring how some friends from our church have an acre of ground with pressurized irrigation water and that they let us use some of it for a garden spot. 

I love squash and potatoes, so that is what we ended up planting there.  We planted tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, and 3 or 4 squash plants at the house garden spot as well.

I've never planted potatoes before, but thanks to the Internet and the advice of veteran gardeners in the neighborhood, we decided to have a go at it.

We planted our potatoes in 2 sessions with about a 3 week interval between them.  We planted about 30-35 lbs of Russets seed potatoes total in both sessions, then planted about 10-15 lbs of Yukon Gold seed potatoes in the second session.

In addition to the potatoes, we planted several varieties of squash. 

I used my Dayton 3Z68B to till up the plot after my neighbor disked it with his compact tractor.

DAYTON GT 1 COMP.jpg   DAYTON & TILLED GARDEN 2 COMP.jpg

I used my White GT1650 to furrow the garden... we planted the potatoes on the hills between the furrows.

STEVE & WHITE 1650 FURROWING 2 COMP.jpg

Our garden produced well--far beyond our expectation in fact... we've dug about 500 lbs of potatoes total so far, and still have about 25% of the garden that needs to be harvested... however weatherman predicts rain for most of this coming week, so hopefully we can get it done on the weekend--the Good Lord willing and the creek's don't rise...

I shot some pictures of our harvest yesterday... the blue colored squash are Guatemalan Blue Banana Squash.  The flesh is a bright orange inside, but has the blue-green skin... a little smaller than a normal banana squash, which is nice 'cause you don't have to cut up a large squash and worry about part of it going to waste. It has a slightly sweeter taste than normal banana squash. We also planted Amish Crooknecks, an Acorn variety, and a blue-gray pumpkin in the large plot, and Trombocini (Trombone Squash) at the house.

POTATO HARVEST BLUE GUATEMALAN SQUASH 10 26 2013.jpg

We filled three 5 gallon plastic pails with potatoes in addition to the boxes shown here.

POTATO HARVEST 1 10 26 2013.jpg

Some of the Yukon Golds--we just started getting to the rows where they were planted.  Some of them didn't get covered adequately, so we have some green ones-- we'll throw them away, of course as the green skin inidicates an alkyloid poison has developed in the potato.

POTATO HARVEST YUKON GOLD 10 26 2013.jpg

Our garden spot--it's amazing how many weeds and grass grew in the last 6-8 weekis!!  The first planting is in the left hand side of the picture--already started tilling it under for next year.

POTATO HARVEST GARDEN SPOT 10 26 2013.jpg

Now I get to figure where to store all of them.  We live in a residential neighborhood with a small yard, so we can't dig a root cellar.  However, we have a couple basement rooms that remain pretty cool... the squash we stored there last winter were still good when we ate the last one in August.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all ears... this is my first experience with planting and storing spuds.

Regards,

Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, October 27, 2013 - 10:37 PM.

• Alc, Cvans, boyscout862 and 5 others have said thanks

#2 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 11:13 PM

Potatoes are very delicate, possibly more so than apples or tomatoes.

Make sure to cull the potatoes.  Remove any with bruises or scars from digging.

One bad potato will spoil a lot of close-by potatoes.

Also, they need to be stored in a cool/dry/dark/dark place.

Not certain about the green potatoes, but I've always just cut out the green and kept the rest.

Which reminds me, I bought a bushel of potatoes.  I'm going to move them to a darker place.

• Alc, Utah Smitty, farmer john and 2 others have said thanks

#3 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,850 Thanks
  • 3,193 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 11:50 PM

Cool and dark is best, and for sure get rid of any soft or oozing ones--- the stink of a rotting spud is awful, and the rot will spread. We always check them after about a week or so to make sure there is no late blight damage. Russets are our favourites.
  • Alc, Utah Smitty, farmer john and 1 other said thanks

#4 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,716 Thanks
  • 871 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 01:49 AM

great pics, thanks for sharing, whens the pouitine party?

• JRJ said thank you

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,669 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 05:15 AM

Nice harvest, Smitty!

• Utah Smitty and JRJ have said thanks

#6 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 05:17 AM

Cool and dark is best, and for sure get rid of any soft or oozing ones--- the stink of a rotting spud is awful, and the rot will spread. We always check them after about a week or so to make sure there is no late blight damage. Russets are our favourites.

We're going to store them in shallow boxes under the shelves we store our canned and bottled food on.  The room isn't heated, and they'll be along the exterior walls, plus we've covered the window to keep it dark.

We'll go through them and look for bad spots-- right now we're letting the skins harden a bit.  We also plan to check them periodically.  You're right--rotting spuds are awful.  I found a small bag of them from this spring that had got pushed behind a shelf when I was rearranging our "cellar"... It stunk like a soiled diaper!!!  Whew!!!

Smitty

• Alc, motobreeder, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#7 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 05:26 AM

great pics, thanks for sharing, whens the pouitine party?

We eat potatoes in a variety of ways.  One of my favorites is boiled with the skins on, then sliced and fried--mix in some sauteed onions and peppers, and serve with a couple fried eggs over the top...Yum!!

Another favorite is Shepherd's Pie.  My mom used to make it for us when we were kids--baked mashed potatoes with a meat and sauce stuffing.  

Then there's funeral potatoes-- shredded potatoes baked in a cream sauce with cheese and a little onion--get's it's name as it can be counted on the show up when the church ladies make a meal for people after a funeral--though we also see it at Church pot lucks, as well as family gatherings.

And, can't forget good old fashioned baked potatoes, or potatoes boiled with the skins on and covered with tuna or hamburger gravy--the wife made some yesterday, in fact.

My German grandmother used to make potato pancakes, but I haven't had any for a while...

I read about poultine on wikipedia-- a favorite up North--how do you make it?

Regards,

Smitty

• Alc, oldedeeres and JRJ have said thanks

#8 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 08:12 AM

Nice Crop there Smitty!! As motobreeder said the green can be cut out(just peel a bit deeper) and the potatoes used.

The Damaged(bruised or cut while digging ) Cut the bad spots out and shred the potatoes. Form the shredded potatoes  into serving size, put them on cookie sheets and freeze them for Hash Browns(makes for a quick meal). Once frozen they can be put in plastic bags in quantities for one meal for your family.

Edited by JD DANNELS, October 28, 2013 - 08:13 AM.

• Alc, motobreeder, Utah Smitty and 2 others have said thanks

#9 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 08:26 AM

Smitty, Wow what a crop. If you store them in a dark room in the basement, up off the floor so they get air all around them, they seem to do very well. You need a tater plow for one of your Gt's so you don't have to hand dig them.

• Utah Smitty and oldedeeres have said thanks

#10 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 08:29 AM

Smitty you have turned into a shudder type man, they sure look good, thanks for the pictures-looks good.

Dick

• oldedeeres said thank you

#11 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,442 Thanks
  • 3,989 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 01:31 PM

There's nothing better than fresh vegetables from the old garden. The taste of all this goods is really delicious. I feel sorry for all the people who never have the chance to eat their own potatoes, tomatoes, herbs and all the other good things.

• Alc and Utah Smitty have said thanks

#12 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 05:22 PM

Nice Crop there Smitty!! As motobreeder said the green can be cut out(just peel a bit deeper) and the potatoes used.

The Damaged(bruised or cut while digging ) Cut the bad spots out and shred the potatoes. Form the shredded potatoes  into serving size, put them on cookie sheets and freeze them for Hash Browns(makes for a quick meal). Once frozen they can be put in plastic bags in quantities for one meal for your family.

That's a great idea!  Also the basis for funeral potatoes so it kills two birds with one stone.

Smitty

#13 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 05:26 PM

Smitty, Wow what a crop. If you store them in a dark room in the basement, up off the floor so they get air all around them, they seem to do very well. You need a tater plow for one of your Gt's so you don't have to hand dig them.

I know, I know!  I had an inkling it would be a lot of work to dig by hand, and it proved it out in spades (no pun intended).  I've seen some Cat 1 middle busters, and I have the furrowing blade to make a digger--just didn't get it done... too busy buying tractors and shuffling them around the yard  ;o}

If anyone's made one for Cat 0, let me know... I'm not going through this next year!!

There's nothing better than fresh vegetables from the old garden. The taste of all this goods is really delicious. I feel sorry for all the people who never have the chance to eat their own potatoes, tomatoes, herbs and all the other good things.

Yep, nothing like new potatoes, or a vine-ripened tomato fresh in a salad or on a big juicy hamburger!!

Smitty

• jd.rasentrac said thank you

#14 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,538 Thanks
  • 3,924 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 08:08 PM

Thats alot of spuds Smitty! I think your own always tastes better. :smilewink:  Something about knowing how much time and work you put into it. 

#15 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 08:44 PM

Holy spudfest, Smitty!