#1 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,287 Thanks
  • 2,325 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 08:54 PM

I have a small dilemma with the rear end in the 1254/G11.It's a Bolens 1254 with G11 Engine,hood,fenders,dash tower and PTO.So it's basically a G11 with a 6 speed rear.I Just got most of the buggs worked out of her.She runs very well.Still Have to get a dual belt pto pulley and a set of PTO belts.

I think there is something not quite rite about the rear end.I finally got to test out the tractor today after rebuilding and adjusting the driveshaft,clutch and brakes and finished welding up the exhaust and installed 2 new drive belts.I chained it to a big tree and put it in 2nd gear hi range and let it dig while I fine tuned the carb while under load.

I have the locking Hub turned in as far as it will go and bumped it tight with a rubber mallet.My Right wheel seems to have little to no rotation while in gear.I got off of the tractor with it still in gear and seen that the axle on the right side wasn't even trying to turn.The left side was digging a nice deep hole.

I'm not sure if something is messed up in the Diff or if the locker is worn.Does the Locker lock the Right axle in or the Left?

If it locks the left axle then I have something messed up in the Diff.

It's a very very strong running tractor now since I got the carb adjusted and runs super smooth and quiet (now that I got the exhaust put on lol).This old 11hp Briggs seems to have a good bit more power than the TRA10-D that was on my old 1050 but it may of been a bit tired.

Edited by EricFromPa, October 27, 2013 - 08:54 PM.

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,669 Thanks
  • 17,196 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 08:25 AM

Have you adjusted your rear axle end play?

Never tighten the locking differential nut with any tool! only finger tight!

• EricFromPa said thank you

#3 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,287 Thanks
  • 2,325 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 06:41 PM

Have you adjusted your rear axle end play?

Never tighten the locking differential nut with any tool! only finger tight!

No I didn't adjust the end play.I've never had to adjust the end-play on one before.Found the manual for the adjustment procedure.

http://gardentractor...lay-adjustment/

I'm going to replace both axle seals after I get one of them out.They are not leaking badly but they are seeping a bit. 

I'll post up some pics in the morning.She's kinda rough around the edges but she's a good honest runner.I have a very nice deck,tiller,plow 2 sets of wheels and 2 sets of tire chains for her.I just put 3 new blades,2 new idlers,belt and both seals in the deck gear box.I'm going to go over the tiller this winter but it's in really good condition also.A little rust just starting to come through the paint but really straight and solid.

We have been really busy down at the farm trimming Christmas trees.It's that time for the Final trimming this year.We start trimming after the 1st heavy frost and usually takes about a month to get them all trimmed.Next year we're going to replant the top 2 fields and fill in the bottom 2 Blue Spruce and Douglas Fir fields.The trees at the top are getting to big to sell and hand trimming a 20-30 foot tree is darn near impossible even with our old pole saws.The Hornets also love to build condos in the bigger pines.And with 100% of the ground covered in a Thick layer of pine needles you have to watch out for big yellow jacket nests in the ground near the base of trees.Those buggers really let ya have it if you disturb them.

The tree farm is more of a Family hobby/tradition than a money maker.The trees pay for them selves but there isn't any money in it.It's fun getting to hang out and do something with your Aunts,uncles,cousins,grand parents ect ect once a year other than the big O'brien/Hillegass family reunions.

Edited by EricFromPa, October 28, 2013 - 06:45 PM.

#4 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,287 Thanks
  • 2,325 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 10:46 AM

Here's some fresh pics.I have to paint the frame,steering column,transaxle and front axle assembly black to match the colors of the G11 but she doesn't look to bad at all the way it is.

I adjusted the End Play on the rear axles this morning.The locker is now working correctly.It wasn't but 1/2 a turn off on either side but I guess every little bit counts.

Don't be hating on the Boat seat,it's very comfortable and was on Clearance for $24+ tax :rolling: Beats paying $60+ for a generic lawn tractor seat that you can't recover if it gets a hole in it.This seat has a Fibreglass frame on the bottom and the back with snaps that you can undo to replace the vinyl cover.

100_1145.JPG

100_1146.JPG

100_1149.JPG

Notice anything missing in this pic?

100_1147.JPG

Edited by EricFromPa, October 29, 2013 - 10:56 AM.

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,669 Thanks
  • 17,196 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 03:34 PM

Glad to hear the adjustment solved your problem. Many people do not know about the rear axle end play and often these machines go without being adjusted for years which can often lead to differential damage.

• EricFromPa said thank you

#6 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,287 Thanks
  • 2,325 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 05:38 PM

The G11 was missing the Dash to engine brace/heat shield when I got it.I have the one for the 1254 but I have to modify it a bit to fit.It hits the gas tank and the dipstick hole needs enlarged a bit.I kinda need to do that pretty soon because the dash tower is pretty loose.The only thing holding it in place are the 2 small 7/16" bolts at the bottom.

Hey thanks alot Brian.

I popped it in 3rd and dumped the clutch in the gravel and it stood up on it's hind end and took off like a rocket lol.I thought it would just spin a bit but Nope she wanted to go go go.

That little 11hp Briggs didn't even grunt.Funny thing is that it sat outside with the hood off for over 3 years and I've never taken the carb apart to clean it.I hooked a tank to it and it fired up almost instantly.Strange thing is that it starts without the choke every time.

Wish the Decals were in a bit better condition.They're so faded you can barely read the G11 decal.Wonder if Maple hunter can make a set of decals if I sent them some measurements and a good pic of what they're supposed to look like? 

Edited by EricFromPa, October 29, 2013 - 05:54 PM.