• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,635 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 08:06 AM

Definitely a difference in the rods,even the oil dipper on the end of the rod appears to be longer.

Just thinking out loud here maybe the longer rod and spacer were an ill advised attempt at building a long stroke k-series? Or am I giving whoever put it together to much credit in the IQ department?

Unless they changed the crank too, wouldnt the stroke would be the "same" length, just further up?
  • BairleaFarm, twostep and pigsitter have said thanks

#32 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 08:13 AM

Yes, the stroke would be the same unless the crank was changed. The longer rod would be ok if the wrist pin location was closer to the top of the piston.

Geno

• BairleaFarm said thank you

#33 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 08:16 AM

Unless they changed the crank too, wouldnt the stroke would be the "same" length, just further up?

Oops you got me MH81! Maybe I'm the one lacking in the IQ dept this morning! :loosing_it:

Got my terminology mixed up meant to say a long rod motor,guess I've been gone from the hot rod scene for to long. :thumbs:

• MH81 and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#34 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 08:05 AM

I've been doing some thinking. I like this massey to the point of I may just keep it. For those who have known me that says alot.

After tearing into these I've realized that it won't be a simple fix like I had hoped. I ordered the service manuals since I can't get the downloaded ones to print clearly. I think I'm going to do a full rebuild. I've got enough parts to make a complete engine.

I've been looking at rebuild kits on eBay and looks like I can get everything I need for less than $150
  • boyscout862 and twostep have said thanks

#35 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 09:55 AM

I've been doing some thinking. I like this massey to the point of I may just keep it. For those who have known me that says alot.

After tearing into these I've realized that it won't be a simple fix like I had hoped. I ordered the service manuals since I can't get the downloaded ones to print clearly. I think I'm going to do a full rebuild. I've got enough parts to make a complete engine.

I've been looking at rebuild kits on eBay and looks like I can get everything I need for less than $150

With the rebuild kits you should be able to have 2 rebuilt engines. The question for you is; are you going to buy the tools to do the work yourself? I invested in a ridge reamer, glaze hone, piston ring grove cleaner, and piston ring compressor 40 years ago. They have been used dozens of times. In the last 20 years I added a Sunnen hone, valve seat grinder, valve grinder, and camshaft bearing tool. They've only been used a few times. They cost money to buy and take up space in my garage.

It is a balancing act as to buy tools or have work done. I  prefer to do it myself and I usually do better than the professionals. If its new to you it would be a big risk but with time it could pay off. I can get my work when I want. It is a complicated decision and I hope that you reach one that is best for you. Good Luck, Rick

• twostep said thank you

#36 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 10:09 AM

I have some off the tools needed already. I'll get the engines apart and start measuring all the parts to see what I need. I don't have the stuff to grind valves or hone. I need to see how much it cost locally to have it done. I've got a couple kohlers under the bench that need rebuilding so in the long run it may be better to buy the tools. Cheaper and like you said doing it on my schedule would be nice. I've got valve spring compressors, ring compressors, and of course hand tools but that's about it.

#37 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted November 09, 2013 - 10:37 PM

This is the best block. I've got everything out except the valves and governor.

I got the rebuild manuals in and will start cleaning and checking the parts. I need to pick up a different micrometer since I hate the one I have.

What's the best way to degrease and degasket the block?

Attached Thumbnails

• uploadfromtaptalk1384054501020.jpg

#38 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,317 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted November 09, 2013 - 11:07 PM

I have one of these squirreled away in the corner of the shop..  Has come in handy many times over the years.. http://www.summitrac...CFc5xOgodGksAfw  You can buy the solvent in any auto parts store or Napa..  

• pigsitter said thank you

#39 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,676 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted November 10, 2013 - 08:26 AM

I've got valve spring compressors, ring compressors, and of course hand tools but that's about it.

A lot of the tools, such as a cyl. hone, can be borrowed for free from Auto Zone.

#40 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,489 Thanks
  • 39,723 posts

Posted November 10, 2013 - 08:34 AM

A lot of the tools, such as a cyl. hone, can be borrowed for free from Auto Zone.

O'Reilly's does the same. You put up a deposit, but you get it back when you take the tool back. I did that for a cyl. hone. Deposit was cost of it. It was brand new, so I just kept it.

#41 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,317 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted November 10, 2013 - 08:47 AM

As far as the gaskets go, scrape the meat off with a putty or razor and use one of these to finish the job:  http://www.harborfre...-kit-43029.html

Buy an extra pack of the blue ones.. (I bought a box yesterday as a matter of fact!)  They clean things up nicely..  

Fire back with any questions..  

• twostep and pigsitter have said thanks

#42 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted November 10, 2013 - 10:22 AM

I've actually got those. I'm soaking the parts in kerosene and it's working wonders. I'll get the parts cleaned up this week and get the block soaking. I'm really hoping the crank and cylinder bore are withen specs
  • MH81 said thank you

#43 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 06:36 PM

looks like in the one pic, that the rod cap bearing surface is scored,  I talked to Brian Miller one time about boring one out so I could salvage it and put bearing inserts into it like car engines have.... as I remember the cost wasn't bad, about $25+ shipping... I may be wrong on the exact amount that he wanted. his price included the new inserts.

the rod I wanted to have done looks just fine, not scored or anything, but the machine shop cut my engine's crank and a std rod don't work no more, on an undersized crank

but I went to an auction  last year where they cleaned out a guys garage that was a small engine guy for years (garage owner died, kids were cleaning out the house so they could sell it)    I bid on one lot just for the new 0.010 undersized rod that was "hidden within" what was otherwise truly nothing but scrap;  I backed out as the price was going higher than what just buying a new rod at the local shop would cost;

once they were bidding on a couple lots down I asked the winner if he had a use for everything that was in that lot; since I started bidding just for 1 piece in the pile.... The lot winner asked what I was after and I pulled that rod out of the pile and said that was all I'd wanted from "that"  pile, and asked him how much for it and he gave it to me.  I knew the part number since I'd been watching Feebay for one 

So, I got a brand new 0.010-under rod for my M 12 (same thing as a K 301) for nothin'

Edited by dodge trucker, January 25, 2014 - 06:36 PM.

• olcowhand, Trav1s and BairleaFarm have said thanks