14 replies to this topic

#1 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 03:04 PM

How many hp engine do you think I needed to run my grinder? In a perfect world I could use the massey 1650 to run it.

Posted Image

Posted Image
  • boyscout862, Dieselcubmike and JRJ have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,745 Thanks
  • 7,517 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 03:14 PM

You need to find out how many rpms and at what horsepower it needs. Guessing is a good way to get hurt or damaged. It looks like it was an attachment for an old farm tractor so it may be 540 rpm and maybe 16 hp will be enough but check. I'd be looking for a one lunger to run it. Good Luck, Rick

• JRJ said thank you

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 03:25 PM

I don't think they take much HP at all really, but Grandpa had one just like that grinder, and he ran it off the flat belt drive on the back of the Minneapolis Moline Avery at just a little above idle.  The Moline's belt HP was just 23 1/2HP, so running slow, likely 10hp was used tops.

• hamman and JRJ have said thanks

#4 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 03:26 PM

It was belt drive off of an old poppin John. I don't know the hp if what the Deere was.
  • JRJ said thank you

#5 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 05:23 PM

I wouldn't think the HP would really matter, just as long as it has enough get up and go to turn it.

Dick

#6 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 08:01 PM

Not very much at all and like Daniel said not much above an idle speed.  When that was new it was likely powered by a hit and miss engine.  Any tractor you have should run that with NO problem.  Farmall Cub would probably run it and they were only about 9 horsepower on the belt.

You say you don't know the HP of the JD.  Do you know the model of it that it was used with?  I can check my Nebraska test book and tell you the belt HP of it if you do.

Edited by IHCubGuy, October 28, 2013 - 08:03 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 08:02 PM

As a kid, I'd drop a couple ears of corn in Grandpa's grinder & easily turn the belt wheel by hand to grind the corn.  So all it takes is "1 kid power".   :smilewink:

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, IHCubGuy and 3 others have said thanks

#8 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 08:57 PM

My father was killed summer of 86 so I would assume 1985 was the last time it was used. I was 6 so I don't recall the John Deere model. I can turn it and grind corn by hand as well.

#9 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 09:22 PM

Ours has been powered by a MH Pony. Somewhere around 11 Hp rating I think. The only time it was an issue was fast grinding "Cob-n-all" (as my Grandpa used to say) for feed. Cobs took a lot of power. It would still do it, just fed the corn slower.
  • Alc said thank you

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 02:26 PM

Probably won't take a lot of horsepower. We used to hand scoop into a stationary hammer mill powered by an Avery Model A(less than 20 hp)  to grind whole corn for hog feed. Even as kids if both of us hit it with scoops full of whole corn(cobs,shucks and all it would Whomp some and even more so if we ground hay.  

I think the real question is how much torque does it take!! Remember those old Johnny Poppers had a stroke as long as your arm and pistons bigger than oilcans and rocked the house a quarter mile away every time they fired !!

Edited by JD DANNELS, October 29, 2013 - 02:29 PM.

• ducky said thank you

#11 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted October 30, 2013 - 05:25 PM

I think the real question is how much torque does it take!! Remember those old Johnny Poppers had a stroke as long as your arm and pistons bigger than oilcans and rocked the house a quarter mile away every time they fired !!

Nothing against Johny Poppers as we own one but for their displacement and long stroke their torque figures were not as good as other tractors in the same class.  Take the JD60 and the Farmall Super H.  Both were tested at nebraska about the same time.  The 60 had a 321 cube displacement with 5 1/2 X 6 3/4 bore and stroke and made a max torque of 251.3 lb/ft.  The Super H on the other hand had a 164 Cube displacement with a 3 1/2 X4 1/4 bore and stroke and made a max torque of 266.9 lb/ft.  The 60 was actually a larger HP tractor than a Super H was and the more appropriate model size to a Super H was a JD50.  It's displacement was 34 cubes bigger than a Super H and it's max torque was only 183.8 lb/ft. 

#12 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 31, 2013 - 03:43 PM

Nothing against Johny Poppers as we own one but for their displacement and long stroke their torque figures were not as good as other tractors in the same class.  Take the JD60 and the Farmall Super H.  Both were tested at nebraska about the same time.  The 60 had a 321 cube displacement with 5 1/2 X 6 3/4 bore and stroke and made a max torque of 251.3 lb/ft.  The Super H on the other hand had a 164 Cube displacement with a 3 1/2 X4 1/4 bore and stroke and made a max torque of 266.9 lb/ft.  The 60 was actually a larger HP tractor than a Super H was and the more appropriate model size to a Super H was a JD50.  It's displacement was 34 cubes bigger than a Super H and it's max torque was only 183.8 lb/ft. 

You make a good point. I'm sure many an hour has been passed my Farmers debating that same question over the fences that separated their properties.

• IHCubGuy said thank you

#13 bolex OFFLINE  

bolex
  • Member No: 9864
  • 123 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted October 31, 2013 - 06:25 PM

now i know why my super H spins the tires plowing snow that is an impressive torque number for a " 34hp "engine and i mean with a backhoe on the back for weight too

#14 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted October 31, 2013 - 08:45 PM

You make a good point. I'm sure many an hour has been passed my Farmers debating that same question over the fences that separated their properties.

I know of a story between two local farmers here.  One is Die hard red the other Die hard green.  One time many years ago the IH farmer was grinding feed with his M and the other neighbor stopped by to talk to him about something.  The green farmer thought it was impressive the way the M was handling the hammermill.  Well one thing led to another and they told him that his G wouldn't be able to handle the hammermill like the M did.  To shut them up he went and got his G and put it on the hammermill.  When he hooked it in and they started to feed it the ole G had more than it could handle to run it feeding it at the same speed as the M was handling it.  He went away with his tail between his legs. 

HOWEVER, what he didn't know is that while he had gone to get his tractor the neighbor played a bit of trickery with him.  While he was gone they opened up the hammermill and changed the screens from the coarse screens that had been in it while they were running with the M to the finest screen they had in the shed for when he showed up.  I am not sure if he ever knew what went on or not but I would have loved to been there.

• Alc said thank you

#15 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 01, 2013 - 08:19 AM

I know of a story between two local farmers here.  One is Die hard red the other Die hard green.  One time many years ago the IH farmer was grinding feed with his M and the other neighbor stopped by to talk to him about something.  The green farmer thought it was impressive the way the M was handling the hammermill.  Well one thing led to another and they told him that his G wouldn't be able to handle the hammermill like the M did.  To shut them up he went and got his G and put it on the hammermill.  When he hooked it in and they started to feed it the ole G had more than it could handle to run it feeding it at the same speed as the M was handling it.  He went away with his tail between his legs. 

HOWEVER, what he didn't know is that while he had gone to get his tractor the neighbor played a bit of trickery with him.  While he was gone they opened up the hammermill and changed the screens from the coarse screens that had been in it while they were running with the M to the finest screen they had in the shed for when he showed up.  I am not sure if he ever knew what went on or not but I would have loved to been there.

Yeah good natured trickery can sure play into it.  In This area John Deere and IH were most common with a sprinkling of AC & Case.

In my wife's family it was all Deere for generations. Nearly caused a Riff in the family when the wifes's uncle Chuck bought a Case to replace his JD 720. He said as much as he loved his John Deere's He could not see that they were worth the extra $7,000.

As it proved out the Case was and is an outstanding tractor still working on that farm..

H

• IHCubGuy said thank you