Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 12:10 PM

UGGGGGG!!!!

My Dads ipad crashed. Trying to restore it and getting error 21. Searching the internet lead me to tinyumbrella app. Tried to download it from Cnet,you know the secure place to get your downloads. The place installed alot of webbrowser junk! New toolbars, search engines, reconfigured IE and a host of other crap.

I though Cnet was the best place and you didnt have to worry about stuff like this happening. I have used them in the past and good results. There was no way that I found that I could install the app without getting this other stuff. I have ended up doing a restore on the computer but I dont know if it set everything back up the way it was. I dont even want to go back and look at it at this point.

• JRJ said thank you

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,334 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 12:25 PM

Wow, that sucks. Sorry.

Cnet has been more and more like that... One thing to watch is to try to end-around their auto downloader if possible. Often there is a link for "waiting to long" or something like that...
  • coldone and JRJ have said thanks

#3 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 12:43 PM

I haven't been to CNET lately, but the last time I was there when you tried to download software it took you to a page with a GIANT 'download' button, which was for all the crap that pays their bills, and a tiny little button which was like 'download your software'

• coldone, WNYTractorTinkerer and JRJ have said thanks

#4 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 03:03 PM

I hate to pop the bubble but it isn't CNET that is doing it.  It is the developer and or the company they are associated with.  CNET is nothing by a server to hold all the software others up load to it.  When you are installing software and it install's other stuff with it, it is who ever built the install file.  Which is usually the developer.

By the way all those tool bars and crap are usually some type of tracking software so beware.  They also take up precious resources.  

#5 AVB OFFLINE  

AVB
  • Member No: 45301
  • 138 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 03:52 PM

I noticed that myself the last time I used cnet, but all I had to do was uncheck the boxes when installing.

#6 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 06:10 PM

If you don't want to use CNET, is there a better place?

#7 AVB OFFLINE  

AVB
  • Member No: 45301
  • 138 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 06:12 PM

Sometimes you can find a link to the software publisher's website in cnet and download it from there. Or if you can't find a link you can use cnet to find the program you want and google the publisher.

Edited by AVB, October 27, 2013 - 06:16 PM.

#8 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 07:27 PM

Just type "Software download" and you'll find dozens of them.  In the past, when I used windows, I used Download.com, Filehippo.com and a few others.  Now I have everything I need in the software center so I can just tell the SC to download it and install it and I don't have to worry about malware, spyware or non of that crap.  I feel for you guy's.

• coldone said thank you

#9 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,291 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 07:30 PM

I used to use C Net a lot.. Haven't used it for the last year because of the crapware, and trickery to get you to use some software you don't want. Besides the downloads they had some good reviews etc. To bad it is on my list of websites that are not to be visited.
  • coldone said thank you

#10 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 08:46 PM

I noticed that myself the last time I used cnet, but all I had to do was uncheck the boxes when installing.

This one didnt have those boxes. There were 3 "agree/decline" pages like user agreements. I declined all of them (none were from tinyumbrella) and it cancelled the download.