• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• Member No: 1059
  • 70 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 03:49 AM

What is the purpose of this compression spring? The Service Manual does not say. Is it just to fix the cooling fan? Seems not because there would be easier and cheaper ways to do this. Because the spring is between the cooling fan and end coupling, I was wondering if the spring is there to preload the flexible coupling spacers? This does not seem likely either because I would think you would want the drive shaft length to be exactly what is needed to connect the engine and hydraulic motor without putting any preload on either. Maybe using the end coupling to hold one side of the spring was cheaper than machining a second groove in the drive shaft to accept a snap ring. But why use such a damn stiff spring?

I just had to remove the drive shaft and was curious about the design. Thanks.

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,745 Thanks
  • 7,517 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 05:48 AM

We need more info. Make and model tractor and pictures. Good Luck, Rick

#3 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,509 Thanks
  • 3,908 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 06:32 AM

I guess this might be one of the GT series? It has been a few years since I had mine apart. If I remember right the pressure of the spring is what holds the fan in place. And locks it to the shaft. I don't remember a keyway or anything to keep the fan spinning.

#4 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• 70 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 07:29 AM

I guess this might be one of the GT series? It has been a few years since I had mine apart. If I remember right the pressure of the spring is what holds the fan in place. And locks it to the shaft. I don't remember a keyway or anything to keep the fan spinning.

Right. I have a Gravely 18H which is an Ariens GT18 with Gravely badging. Yes, no keyway on shaft which may be the explanation. The engine side of the cooling fan is secured by a snap ring on a groove in the drive shaft. The spring is compressed between the hydraulic motor side of the cooling fan and the drive shaft hub. I bet the spring is sized to keep the fan from slipping during normal conditions but allow it to spin if it is obstructed, sort of like a shear pin.

Edited by artbuc, October 27, 2013 - 07:30 AM.

#5 Wm McNett OFFLINE  

Wm McNett

• Member No: 1428
  • 85 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 07:40 AM

Page 92 in your 000127A service manual shows the variation in drive shafts 

Mine has 2 snap ring grooves and 2 wavy spring washers to hold tension on the fan

New Bitmap Image

• drbish said thank you

#6 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• 70 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 10:52 AM

Page 92 in your 000127A service manual shows the variation in drive shafts 

Mine has 2 snap ring grooves and 2 wavy spring washers to hold tension on the fan

Yeah, I looked at that. Wonder why so many variations?