Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Po'd But I Got My Generator Back..........

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 07:21 AM

OH...........Just thought of this.....when using the drill method, you MUST pull the trigger when spinning the drill. Otherwise the current it produces can't pass through the cord into the generator.  Actually, it won't even produce current unless there is a loop circuit.

• hamman and HDWildBill have said thanks

#17 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 08:04 AM

I'm not sure it would take that, I'm not very pretty.........Oh you must of meant something else!!!!!! 

Roger, you should try Daniel's intended method first.  If that doesn't work, what can you lose by trying his implied method?  lol

I have never heard of flashing the generator like that, I hope it works when you get healed up.  Good luck.

• hamman said thank you

#18 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 08:21 AM

I have used these people for a long time. I have had everything from an alternator, to an electric motor repaired and refurbished there. They started out as a family owned business 40 yrs ago to being bought out by a corporation in the late 90s. I had reccomended them hundreds of times for out of stock or obsolete blower motors for fuenaces. I have seen a lot of happy people get service from them. This is why I was so surprised by the lack of knowledge on this generator. I have left a message at their corporate office and I have contacted Onan just for a heads up for them. I really don't want to cause to much trouble because I still have a relative that works there. I know how companies can be with retaliation on people. Thanks OCH I will remember that about the drill. Thanks. Roger.

#19 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 11:32 AM

Some where in my distant memory it seems to me that when you changed a generator on the old Harley's you had to flash them first.  Gosh I haven't thought about that in decades. :oh_shucks:

#20 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 12:24 PM

Some where in my distant memory it seems to me that when you changed a generator on the old Harley's you had to flash them first.  Gosh I haven't thought about that in decades. :oh_shucks:

You guys are showing your age now...  Last time you 'flashed' was in the park weren't it?? :biting_nails:  :watching_you:

#21 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 02:42 PM

You guys are showing your age now...  Last time you 'flashed' was in the park weren't it?? :biting_nails:  :watching_you:

If I flashed in the park I would have been a celebrity!   :thumbs:

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#22 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • Member No: 10588
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 03:14 PM

Just curious...... would "flashing" be what I heard as degauzing ( or something like that )  ????? I read somewhere that you might run a magnet somehow to do that to get the voltage back.if the engine is running  Guy said he took his to a generator repair shop and it cost him $30 or $40 .   I'm problably way off base, but like I said :   just curious.