Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Po'd But I Got My Generator Back..........

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,625 Thanks
  • 2,577 posts

Posted October 26, 2013 - 04:58 PM

I bought a RV Onan 4500wt generator from my brother over a year ago. It didn't run but I fixed that. After I got it running we couldn't get any electrical power out of it. We (BIL and I) fiddled with it for a few months and couldn't get it to produce power. We have a generator service place 30 miles from us and they had been really go to work with in the past. In fact my cousin and her husband work there (she has retired from there) so I figured as a Onan Factory Service Center they could get it working for me. WEELLLLL....11 months and $150.00 later they have said they can't even get it started??? Now in between the time I dropped it off and and now I have delivered to them the operator and " Service manual", yup they didn't even have a manual for it. They said they had to put new plugs and points in it because it wouldn't start. I had just bought new plugs for it before I took it to them. We had it running three weeks before taking it over there. Since injuring my finger this spring I wasn't able to go and get it and I told them that. Well I finally got the money to pay it off and pick it up. It is in parts??? Their explenation.....well we can put it back together if you want to pay us....???? We don't put them back together if we can't get them started. So I brought it home and covered it and stored it out back. I will have time in the spring to put ti back together and get it started again. I have put new ends on the wires that attach to the generator and cleaned the rings (on generator) and made sure all brushes are new. They originaly wanted $250.00 for what they didn't do on it.

I plan on contacting Onan and advising them of the problem with their "Factory Service Center" and it's lack of ability to service or fix it.. OH by the way it was Onan that suggested I take it to them. Very dissapointed at this time about this. Just needed to vent a bit on it. Thanks for listening. Roger.    Here are a few pictures - sat79trip 029.JPG sat79trip 030.JPG sat79trip 034.JPG sat79trip 031.JPG sat79trip 030.JPG

• sacsr, tinbender7 and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#2 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,316 Thanks
  • 2,412 posts

Posted October 26, 2013 - 05:10 PM

Wow.  sorry to hear about your trouble with your generator.  I don't think that is the place anymore to take something to get fixed!

• hamman said thank you

#3 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted October 26, 2013 - 05:28 PM

I've got a Genrec Guardian generator.  I have the engine going but is isn't putting out either.  I found the service manual on line and according to it I should have 3 green lights on the regulator.  I have no lights so I'm thinking it is the regulator.  I just don't have the $$$ to invest into it right now.  Are you getting any voltage coming into the distribution box?  There is also what they call a trigger voltage the will stimulate the generator.  You may want to check that as well.  Good Luck.

• hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 26, 2013 - 05:31 PM

I had one similar to that.  I thought I could use the motor in a tractor but the flywheel is huge, it had a 4l sump for oil and just seemed like too much work to try to convert. I sold it cheap to an RV owner. It had an intermittent problem according to the PO I got it from.  If you have the service manual you can probably fix it yourself. That's pretty lousy service from that service dept. 

• hamman said thank you

#5 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,625 Thanks
  • 2,577 posts

Posted October 26, 2013 - 05:41 PM

We get no AC voltage out of the generator at all. I suspect that it is the VR also. Mt biggest problem now is to get it back togehter in the spring so I can get it started again. Acording to Onan if the engine runs and starts on its starter it is putting out DC voltage through the board to start it. I believe the "Tech" they had working on it had no clue of what he was doing.   Thanks. Roger.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#6 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,299 Thanks
  • 4,656 posts

Posted October 26, 2013 - 06:46 PM

I have a similar beast on my cart in the shop..  It's the same deal but it was out of a motor home.. Rund great and the guy that owns it wants to make a Generator cart out of it..  I'm installing boxes and wiring in plugs for him..  That thing is a hulk of a machine!!  Hope you get your's going!

• hamman said thank you

#7 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,564 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted October 26, 2013 - 06:49 PM

Did you try "flashing" the generator?  

#8 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,625 Thanks
  • 2,577 posts

Posted October 26, 2013 - 06:55 PM

I'm not sure it would take that, I'm not very pretty.........Oh you must of meant something else!!!!!! Not sure what that is. Can you enlighten me? Sorry wife was laughing so hard I thought I was gonna pee my pants. Roger.

• MH81, js5020, LilysDad and 2 others have said thanks

#9 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,564 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted October 26, 2013 - 07:01 PM

I'm not sure it would take that, I'm not very pretty.........Oh you must of meant something else!!!!!! Not sure what that is. Can you enlighten me? Sorry wife was laughing so hard I thought I was gonna pee my pants. Roger.

LOL...figured you'd say that! My Lincoln welder/generator wouldn't put out anything when I got it.  Called Lincoln & they walked me through it while I was in my shop with it.  They told me which wire to connect 12VDC to while running, and the instant I did that it took off making AC voltage!  Never has lost it's excitation since.  There is a simpler way that might also work on your older generator.  If you have an OLD drill, NOT a VSR, just a single speed non reversible drill.  Have the genset running, plug the drill into the outlet on the genset, then spin the drill backwards.  If this works, the drill will take off, so be ready to let go of that grip!  I had another old generator that I used the drill method on....and it worked!  The drill when spun actually generates power to energize the fields on the generator.

• MH81, Texas Deere and Horse, hamman and 3 others have said thanks

#10 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,625 Thanks
  • 2,577 posts

Posted October 26, 2013 - 07:39 PM

Thanks OCH I will try that. I took you post and sniped it to a file. I have to wait until spring to put it back together. Thanks again. Roger.

#11 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted October 26, 2013 - 08:30 PM

That's a shame about those "service" guys.  That's not the way to do business. 

I can safely bet you will do a much better job yourself than they ever would.  :thumbs:

Ben W.

#12 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• Member No: 6780
  • 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted October 26, 2013 - 10:59 PM

I took my JD 400 to a "Certified Kohler Mechanic" last year to get them to rebuild and adjust the carb on it because it had a Magnum 20 horse in it and I wasnt having very good luck getting it to run right.  Well they kept it for about a week and said "it is fixed".......went and picked it up, cut grass for about 20 minutes and it was still doing the exact same thing that it was doing when I took it to them although I paid them 175 bucks to fix it.  Well I loaded it back up and took it to them.  Told them that it BETTER be right the next time I picked it up.  Well they kept it another week and called saying that is was FIXED once again.  I went to pick it up and explained to them that I was leaving the next morning head to South Carolina to a plow day and that I had a friend that would be there was a REAL MECHANIC and that if it wasnt right, I would have him fix it and send them the bill!   Well I unloaded it in South Carolina and made about 3 rounds plowing and it was right back to the same deal.  I had my friend look at it and found out that the emulsion tube was plugged.  I immediately called the credit card company and disputed the charges. They reversed that charges and I called the shop that worked on it and told them what happened.............have NEVER heard another word from them and they never responded to the credit card.  I have learned that just because they have a sign or certificate hanging on the wall, dont mean a hill of beans!

• hamman, HDWildBill and boyscout862 have said thanks

#13 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 12:36 AM

Did you notice if they had their slogan posted over the

Service Counter?

"We're not Happy, until you're Not Happy"

• hamman, HDWildBill and boyscout862 have said thanks

#14 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 3,988 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 02:40 AM

Great story. But: is this service place truely recommendable...

• hamman and HDWildBill have said thanks

#15 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,746 Thanks
  • 7,517 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 06:26 AM

This thread is a great example of several good things about this site. Venting, sharing good information( thanks olcowhand), humor, and a pointing out that "professional" just means that they charge for their time. One of the reasons I feel that GT prices are hitting their peak is that only we who can fix them ourselves can keep them going.  

Hamman don't wait, file complaints against the dealer with Onan, the Better Business Bureau, and your State Department of Consumer Protection. Have copies of your bills and any pics. Good Luck, Rick, I hope you got your manuals back.

• hamman said thank you