• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 11:13 PM

I bring wood home when im out doing other jobs.. My 4x4 for firewood cost me a trade for a old cattle scratcher.. 125 bucks. One saw was new (but a gift) and one was used plus log splitter.. I do make money with my stuff as i also cut and split wood for farmers around here that are to busy or dont like doing it. It has all paid for itself so far and even more.  I do have trees on my place to burn but i cut then as last resort.. Prefer to haul wood home from other places..

• boyscout862 said thank you

#17 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 02:21 PM

Have no wood on my property and don't burn wood.  While it is cool for those who do, I decided against it.

Did not think I could save any money doing so?

$40,000 for a 4X4 pickup, fuel for hauling, $200-400 for saws should have two or 3(extra Chains and fuel and time spent sharpening chains), $1000 for a splitter , Several weekends cutting hauling,splitting and stacking. You really have to like doing it to make worthwhile.. :wave:

I have done it in the past, but I like having the LP delivered to the door.

Dang, you've got rich taste!! Not to call you out but to give a little perspective: my $7500 4x4 hauls wood very well... my $150 used Dalmar chainsaw cuts wood very well (besides you've got to have a chainsaw, how else do you trim your trees?). I picked up my splitting maul for $20 at a consignment shop... of course the work is just that... it's work. But it keeps me off couch!! :D

I've grown up with a wood stove all my life but now days I'm just cutting for Dad. Soon enough we'll have one in the new place though.

My biggest concern isn't cost... it's the point I make below.

...but I like having the LP delivered to the door.

But what happens when the delivery guy doesn't show up and/or the electric goes out.

#18 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 02:34 PM

Dang, you've got rich taste!! Not to call you out but to give a little perspective: my $7500 4x4 hauls wood very well... my $150 used Dalmar chainsaw cuts wood very well (besides you've got to have a chainsaw, how else do you trim your trees?). I picked up my splitting maul for $20 at a consignment shop... of course the work is just that... it's work. But it keeps me off couch!! :D

I've grown up with a wood stove all my life but now days I'm just cutting for Dad. Soon enough we'll have one in the new place though.

My biggest concern isn't cost... it's the point I make below.

But what happens when the delivery guy doesn't show up and/or the electric goes out.

Well I really don't have rich taste, that was a little tongue in cheek obsevation of what I  see a lot of people doing and bragging about the money they save cutting wood in this area.  The COOP I deal with has a sattelite reader on my tank and keep it filled when it shows low and they are in the area(incidently the COOP is just 1 1/2 miles from the house. Yes the Electricity could be an issue but the electric company is good too, I have never had the power out in the last three years . But it could happen, which is why I'm looking for a generator for back up.

I don't cut wood because the nearest wood I could cut would be 30 miles per load. That and I don't like chainsaws, I consider them the most maintanence demanding power tools I have ever owned.

My Stihl saw got stolen a year ago and all I have is an old Homelite that has never ran more than 10 minutes at a time before it would crap out on me.

Edited by JD DANNELS, November 12, 2013 - 02:39 PM.

• twostep and oldedeeres have said thanks

#19 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,856 Thanks
  • 3,193 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 12:26 AM

That's pretty much how I feel about chainsaws too, but they're a necessary evil up here. We cut a lot of standing dead pine , and I like seasoned poplar too. Birch, if I can find it is good wood, smells wonderful on a frosty day and holds a fire well. It hit -30 C. two nights ago, so we're well into winter and the wood hauling routine, but do have fuel oil for backup on the thermostat if we're gone any length of time. Luckily we have lots of wood on our own place, and can cut what we want when we want it.

#20 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 09:25 AM

Well I really don't have rich taste, that was a little tongue in cheek obsevation of what I  see a lot of people doing and bragging about the money they save cutting wood in this area.

lol, sorry I didn't pick up on that!

Yeah, burning wood is a luxury of the rural areas!

I know of 1000's of acres of hardwood forest that have been logged... tops, cut offs and culls are everywhere. I could cut wood full time for the rest of my life and not get to it all.

#21 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 09:58 AM

lol, sorry I didn't pick up on that!

Yeah, burning wood is a luxury of the rural areas!

I know of 1000's of acres of hardwood forest that have been logged... tops, cut offs and culls are everywhere. I could cut wood full time for the rest of my life and not get to it all.

Yes I had a friend since my first day of school in the 8th grade. His family was from Poplar Bluffs Missouri. When His parents and brothers moved back to Missouri, they made their living cutting up the tops and culls from a clearcut operation and selling them to a Pallet Factory.

The county I live in was once 70% timberland back in the late 1800's. It was pretty much gone before I was born. But dozers have cleared off almost everything since the Ag Expansion of the 70's to put more land into production.

Some of which should never have been farmed(too hilly or erosion prone) in my opinion?

Edited by JD DANNELS, November 13, 2013 - 10:00 AM.

• twostep said thank you

#22 cootertom OFFLINE  

cootertom
  • Member No: 59950
  • 1,326 Thanks
  • 718 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 08:24 AM

Because of several reasons (insurance, no wood on this property, nebbie neighbors are a few) I do not have a wood stove here. We have one up at the farm and my parents have cut wood my entire life. Big savings, especially if you can use wood fuel as part of woodland stewardship.

Here, we have Nat Gas. Our house is small with short ceilings. Actually fairly easy to keep a reasonable temp and we only two nites ago turned on the furnace... Before that, it was one of those oil filled electric radiators keeping things warm enough.

I made a couple of modifications to our thermostat to save money. I think these upgrades are pretty much guaranteed to help some.
attachicon.gifimage.jpg

My wife would change it just to shown me she could!!

• Jazz said thank you

#23 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,438 Thanks
  • 949 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 05:44 PM

You can buy locking thermostats,,,explain the savings. 100% MERINO WOOL  undergarments are favoured around here.. Women love them as they are not bulky like traditional winter undergarments. We just had 4 days of -30's and constant 40km winds but that did not deter us from spending afternoons on the slopes.  Canadian cold makes you feel warm all over...just before you die of hypothermia

• KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#24 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,856 Thanks
  • 3,193 posts

Posted January 12, 2015 - 12:07 PM

We're not called "crazy Canuks" for nothing, lol.

• KennyP said thank you

#25 rust addict OFFLINE  

rust addict
  • Member No: 51434
  • 242 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted January 12, 2015 - 01:20 PM

My wife would change it just to shown me she could!!

Simple solution, wire the thermostat to a different location and leave that one as a dummy, then tell her it's all in her mind. I had the same issue with my ex. Thing about it, out here the record lowest in 1913 was 28 degree. She always thought 65 was way too cold (the temp. not my age). I think I turned the heater on twice this year, once to blow out the dust and the other to, oh maybe it was only once.

#26 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted February 23, 2015 - 11:11 AM

Have no wood on my property and don't burn wood.  While it is cool for those who do, I decided against it.

Did not think I could save any money doing so?

$40,000 for a 4X4 pickup, fuel for hauling, $200-400 for saws should have two or 3(extra Chains and fuel and time spent sharpening chains), $1000 for a splitter , Several weekends cutting hauling,splitting and stacking. You really have to like doing it to make worthwhile.. :wave:

I have done it in the past, but I like having the LP delivered to the door.

Our programable thermostat changes ery little anymore, We have a 7 month old Great Grandaughter in the house so have to keep the house a little warmer this year.

Sorry but your numbers don't make any sense at all. [1]  No body in their right mid is going to go out and buy a $40k pickup just to haul wood.  90% already have the truck so throw that number out the window.  [2]  2 chain saws are nice but not necessary. so make that number $200 for a good used saw with extra chain and bar. 1/2 of what you stated.  [3]  Again, who in their right mid is going to spend $1000 for a wood splitter when they can rent one for $50 a day.  I have about $125 in mine and out splits most commercial ones.  All in all if we have any ambition at all we can burn wood and save a bunch of money.  We used the fireplace daily and on a lot of days all day long.  So far this winter I have used 15% of a 500 gallon tank, or 60 gallons of LP.  Have also used about $200 for fuel in the multifuel stove in the basement.  House is not new by any means and never below 60° and that is during the night.  Daytime it is 65° or above, usually close to 68°.  You can save $$ by burning wood but if you use the referenced numbers it is only because you don't want to put forth the extra effort.  I am 74 and still cut a big load of wood every year.  Only help is when we split it and that is one day.  To each his own, but I know for a fact that the Newton area has plenty of timber around to get wood from.  I lived in that area for 12 years and burned wood all of them.