• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 08:01 AM

Even better than that its just the tyres to change the rims and tubes will stay the same :D

I bet Will is going to volunteer... :D

#32 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 09:22 AM

Perhaps, just so you could take it for a spin, swap one tractor wheel backward and one trailer wheel forward?  Tires would be mismatched side to side, but overall front to rear motion should be the same.

• Gav694 said thank you

#33 Gav694 OFFLINE  

Gav694
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12653
  • 267 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 12:46 PM

Perhaps, just so you could take it for a spin, swap one tractor wheel backward and one trailer wheel forward?  Tires would be mismatched side to side, but overall front to rear motion should be the same.

I see what your saying but I don't want to mess with the tractor rims as they are all nicely painted up.

I do have a set of 6-12 grass tyres I could fit to the trailer to try it but there is no immediate rush as I don't have the adapter to fit the PTO shaft to the tractor yet.

Any way the trailer would look a bit girly with turf tyres fitted  :D

#34 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 10:57 PM

That's an out of the box idea.

Gav - that is an awesome trailer.  It appears to be in amazing shape.

Are you going to repaint it in Elf colours or leave as-is?

• Gav694 said thank you

#35 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,344 Thanks
  • 39,622 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 05:33 AM

Nice trailer, Gav! Even has a parking brake?

• Gav694 said thank you

#36 Gav694 OFFLINE  

Gav694
  • Contributor
  • 267 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 07:21 AM

That's an out of the box idea.

Gav - that is an awesome trailer.  It appears to be in amazing shape.

Are you going to repaint it in Elf colours or leave as-is?

Leave as is for now, its too original to mess with I think, but I do plan on taking stencils from the original paintwork for the future

Nice trailer, Gav! Even has a parking brake?

Not sure if you can see all the levers in the photos but there is a grey horizontal lever which is the park brake, there is also a red vertical lever which is also for the brake but this is just stored on the trailer and actually mounts on the tractor in place of the lift lever. I guess the 4 wheel drive gets you up steep hills but you don't want the trailer to overtake you going back down :D

There is also another smaller grey vertical lever which disengages the pto drive in the trailers axle so the trailer does not drive the tractor when the tractor PTO is disengaged.

Edited by Gav694, October 28, 2013 - 07:39 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#37 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,344 Thanks
  • 39,622 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 08:14 AM

Leave as is for now, its too original to mess with I think, but I do plan on taking stencils from the original paintwork for the future

Not sure if you can see all the levers in the photos but there is a grey horizontal lever which is the park brake, there is also a red vertical lever which is also for the brake but this is just stored on the trailer and actually mounts on the tractor in place of the lift lever. I guess the 4 wheel drive gets you up steep hills but you don't want the trailer to overtake you going back down :D

There is also another smaller grey vertical lever which disengages the pto drive in the trailers axle so the trailer does not drive the tractor when the tractor PTO is disengaged.

That horizontal lever looked connected to levers for the brakes. That's why I asked. Very nice trailer.

• Gav694 said thank you

#38 Gav694 OFFLINE  

Gav694
  • Contributor
  • 267 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 08:10 AM

OK so I have been looking online at tyres for the trailer to match the Tractor.

Problem number one my tractor doesn't have 6-12's as per the manual and what I thought were fitted, it has 6.5/80-12's

Problem number 2 all different manufacturer's seem to list a different circumference for comparative tyres weather they are 6-12's or 6.5/80-12's, also if you multiply the given diameter by PI it doesn't give you the result the manufacturer gives :wallbanging:

Problem number 3 Load rating, the trailer is plated for 1200kg but most tyres seem to be listed with max loads in the region of 230kg

Anyone out there any suggestions? I was looking at trelleborg t63 6-12's or I think trelleborg im110's have a higher load rating

#39 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 08:19 AM

Gav, tires compress under load, so the circumference given should be average load at stated pressure. The best way to check an existing tire is to make a mark on the tire and on the ground, roll the tire under expected normal load 10 revolutions forward. Measure distance and divide by 10.

BTW, a tiny bit of "off" is generally considered OK on 4wd trucks here if they are being used off road... If on pavement, they need to be within PDC tolerances. (Pretty Darned Close) or the vehicle can struggle or even lurch.

So, if you get really close and plan on using it in the fields in 4wd, I would try it IMHO, but if you want to engage the 4wd on the road, (don't know why?) you need to be as close as you can get.
  • Gav694 said thank you

#40 Gav694 OFFLINE  

Gav694
  • Contributor
  • 267 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 08:48 AM

If I get a black eye asking the wife how heavy she is for sitting on the trailer its all your fault MH81  :rolling:

As the existing tyres on the tractor are part worn I think it will be real hard to get a match, I may have to ask or even beg santa for a set of 4

• MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and IamSherwood have said thanks

#41 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 09:01 AM

If I get a black eye asking the wife how heavy she is for sitting on the trailer its all your fault MH81 :rolling:

As the existing tyres on the tractor are part worn I think it will be real hard to get a match, I may have to ask or even beg santa for a set of 4

Ask, then Duck :rolling:
  • Texas Deere and Horse and Gav694 have said thanks

#42 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 12:10 PM

That is the only true way to get the tires with the same circumference in my opinion. Go luck on getting the OK for the tires with the wife!

• Gav694 said thank you

#43 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 12:25 PM

That is the only true way to get the tires with the same circumference in my opinion. Go luck on getting the OK for the tires with the wife!

Issue I see with that - putting tires with a load capacity of 600KG ea on the GT would be like rolling on solid rubber.  I hadn't thought about the harder tires until I was reading up on big-wheel case tires.

During a tight turn, the trailer would take a shorter route.  If the wheels are all the same, would it try to push you into a jack-knife?

Or is slippage built into the system to compensate for this?

You can always count on us in the peanut gallery to help over-think this.

• Gav694 said thank you

#44 Gav694 OFFLINE  

Gav694
  • Contributor
  • 267 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 01:04 PM

Issue I see with that - putting tires with a load capacity of 600KG ea on the GT would be like rolling on solid rubber.  I hadn't thought about the harder tires until I was reading up on big-wheel case tires.

During a tight turn, the trailer would take a shorter route.  If the wheels are all the same, would it try to push you into a jack-knife?

Or is slippage built into the system to compensate for this?

You can always count on us in the peanut gallery to help over-think this.

The highest load rating I have seen on 6-12 is about 230kg and about 430kg on a 6.5/80-12, I think the 6-12's will just about cope with the weight of the wife :D and I don't plan on putting anything else heavy in it.

I don't think there is any inbuilt slippage, but if you want to do some more over thinking have you thought about the wider wheel spacing on the trailer than the GT

#45 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,728 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 03:15 PM

Did you just comment on your wife's weight. Please put the Elf in your will to come live with me.

• Texas Deere and Horse, IamSherwood, motobreeder and 1 other said thanks