• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• Member No: 1059
  • 70 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted October 25, 2013 - 04:16 AM

Never seen this before. Mowing with my Gravely 18H (Ariens GT18 with Gravely badging) and saw smoke coming off the engine. She was throwing oil like crazy. Topped her up and limped back to the garage. Compression was 110 on both sides and plugs were dry. Definitely looked like oil was coming from behind the flywheel. Pulled the engine (which is getting harder to do now that I am almost 65) and removed the flywheel. The oil seal looked fine except it was loose on the shaft. I can't remember the exact date but I am guessing I replaced this seal about 10 years ago. Been around and worked on various OPE for a long time and never saw this happen.

Has this ever happened to any of you folks? Good news is that I was considering pulling the engine anyway to install a new ignition module as the original is 22 years old and I did not want to fail on me at an inconvenient time.
  • Alc, boyscout862 and JRJ have said thanks

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 25, 2013 - 04:59 AM

Is your crankcase breather working properly. Could it be crankcase pressure causing it to pop out? Probably not but it may be worth servicing the breather anyway. Crank bearings would be something else I would check. Those big Kohlers are heavy.

• superaben and JRJ have said thanks

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted October 25, 2013 - 06:18 AM

Brian is right.   I would check the crank bearings to make sure there isn't slop that wore the oil seal. 

Did the seal come loose from the block?

Ben W.

• JRJ said thank you

#4 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• 70 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted October 25, 2013 - 06:53 AM

Brian is right.   I would check the crank bearings to make sure there isn't slop that wore the oil seal. 

Did the seal come loose from the block?

Ben W.

Yes, it was loose. I have excessive end play in the crankshaft - 22 thou vs a spec of 3-13. Think I posted concern about this end play here or maybe a different forum several years ago. I think the end play may have worked it loose. Good news is I have little to no lateral movement so I believe the bearings are good. I really do not want to remove the closure plate to check the oil pressure relief because that means removing the muffler. I may take a chance and assume the oil pressure is ok.
  • JRJ said thank you

#5 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• 70 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted October 25, 2013 - 06:17 PM

I bit the bullet and pulled the cover plate. Oil relief assembly is clean and working fine. Of course there could be a block in the oil flow leaving the crank bearing causing the front seal to blow and not the back seal. I think we can rule out over pressure because when I had a previous breather problem I got lots of oil in the intake manifold and the dipstick would push out.

I have read where some folks use a special adhesive to lock a crankshaft oil seal in place. 3m makes one and I assume loctite does too. Have any of you used an adhesive on your crankshaft oil seals? Thanks.