• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 Case-Closed OFFLINE  

Case-Closed
  • Member No: 13397
  • 225 Thanks
  • 123 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 05:11 PM

The old cooler was still in place but damaged and leaking and of course no fan. I tried to follow the "70" series of tractors that followed the 646 with cooler location, and I hope it works ok. I would like to know what the temp of the hydraulic system should be during operation. I am not certain that the air flow across my oil cooler will be adequate or will I need to install a fan.

• gopher said thank you

#17 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 569 Thanks
  • 631 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 07:44 PM

They say case runs a little hotter 180 deg. high normal. 

#18 Mjoe7 OFFLINE  

Mjoe7
  • Member No: 9312
  • 172 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 09:02 PM

I would highly recommend a fan. A fan that pulls the air through rather than blows air through it is best for heat exchangers. This is how all cars are equipped with a shroud. but anything is better than nothing.

#19 Case-Closed OFFLINE  

Case-Closed
  • 225 Thanks
  • 123 posts

Posted November 25, 2013 - 08:45 PM

I'm set up so the Kohler pulls air through the oil cooler but I have a fan that could easily be added if need be. I did discover though that cold weather starting is going to be a problem. I tried to start the tractor this morning at 17 degrees and it would not go. I suspect a brand new engine coupled to a brand new pump might have something to do with it. I intend to put a stick on oil heater on the hydraulic tank to see if that solves the problem unless someone has a better idea that has worked for them.

#20 Mjoe7 OFFLINE  

Mjoe7
  • Member No: 9312
  • 172 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted November 26, 2013 - 03:24 AM

You should be in good shape then for cooling.

I have heard guys covering the tractor and placing a heat lamp or 100 watt light bulb under the tractor to keep it warm. This needs to be maintained when not in use though.

Also make sure you have a lighter grade oil in everything including the engine. A synthetic oil flows much better in cold weather. I've started my old Onan's in much colder weather than 17* before so that should not be an issue. I had Amsoil Synthetic 10w30 in the engine and Amsoil15w40 in the hydriv.

It could be that its taking awhile to get gas, sometimes priming the carb with a shot of fuel before starting gets thing fired up quicker.

I hope it all works out for you. :thumbs:

• Case-Closed said thank you

#21 Case-Closed OFFLINE  

Case-Closed
  • 225 Thanks
  • 123 posts

Posted November 27, 2013 - 11:42 AM

A good friend of mine runs several diesel vehicles and he uses a Katz stick on heater on each and all of them. The surface must be squeaky clean for them to stick but he swears by them. I think I might try the magnetic heaters first since I just happen to have a 500 watt unit in house. It would make sense  that once the new engine and pump have a chance to wear in a bit the starting problem will fix itself.

Edited by Case-Closed, November 27, 2013 - 11:44 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: case, 646, repower, kohler