#16 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,943 posts

Posted October 25, 2013 - 08:12 AM

I was discussing Seafoam with a local parts counter guy, he seemed like one of them that actually worked on cars and knew what he was talking about. I mentioned the Berrymans, he said he liked it, but not recommended for diesels. He tried to sell me a can of Seafoam on sale for $7.99, told him I get it regular price at Menards hardware for $6.49 :D

I'm not sure the STP is exactly the same, I'll keep using seafoam as long as I can get it fairly cheap.

On a sidenote, people think it is cleaning due to the smoke it puts out...that's the oil it's suspended in burning off.

• KennyP and JRJ have said thanks

#17 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted October 25, 2013 - 10:25 AM

I had bought about 1/4 tank of gas in my 82 Chevy, drove to a Food Lion, picked up a few things and headed home.  It started to spit and sputter and I had to drive it 5 miles.  I wondered if I was going to make it.  I did make it home, looked around and found a can of seafoam that had about 3 or 4 ounces left in the can.  I dumped in the tank and headed up the road.  By the time I reached the end of the 1 mile gravel road, the truck was running like a top.

I buy non ethenol for all the outdoor equipment and put seafoam in the can.  I have had no problems since I started using the seafoam about 2 years ago.  The tiller would set all winter with stabil gas and not start.  With the seafoam gas, it does start up in the springtime.  I try to pick it up when it's on sale but if not, I pay the 10 bucks.

• MH81, KC9KAS and JRJ have said thanks

#18 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted October 25, 2013 - 02:43 PM

This post always interested me. I did it at that time and added the ATF. It has done me a good job. Once in a while I sub in the real stuff...

http://gardentractor...anyone/?p=22637

I find that I have to mix the snot out of it when using it. The ATF settles out.
  • CRFarnsworth said thank you

#19 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,629 Thanks
  • 7,671 posts

Posted October 25, 2013 - 06:00 PM

25% Naptha (the cleaner)
60% Kerosine (the stabilizer)
15% Isopropyl Alcohol (the oxygenate)

I understand what a cleaner does and I suppose an oxginator stimulates burning. What does a stabilizer, stabilize?

• WHdbJD said thank you

#20 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted October 25, 2013 - 06:25 PM

25% Naptha (the cleaner)
60% Kerosine (the stabilizer)
15% Isopropyl Alcohol (the oxygenate)

I understand what a cleaner does and I suppose an oxginator stimulates burning. What does a stabilizer, stabilize?

My understanding of it at the time was the (stabilizer) helps keep the gas from getting that "Turpentine" flavor and the Alcohol helped deal with scavanged water like drygas does. 

I guess I don't know how it works... unless it uses genuine Disney Brand Pixie Dust, then I've got a handle on it I think...

• KennyP, LilysDad and robert_p43 have said thanks

#21 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted October 26, 2013 - 07:53 PM

gas will keep for a while if you use a good gas can that seals tight so air can not get in or let the vapors excape.

all gas tanks on garden tractors, lawn mowers, etc allow air into the tank and the vapors to excape.

high and low air temperature and the heat from the motor - also causes the vapors excape from the tank

once the gas is in your garden tractor or ant other power equipment and you do not use most of it up and let it sit for awhile

( several weeks or months ) then I would put seafoam in it.  like winter storage for the equipment.

I have 4 different garden tractors that I use and I do not put seafoam or any thing else in the gas

none sets longer than a month without being used and I keep the tanks over half full most of the time