• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,861 Thanks
  • 3,195 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 09:29 PM

It's a lot later than usual for us, but we started butchering chickens today. I guess that's what you can expect when we didn't get the peeps until mid-June--- should have been thinking ahead. Anyhow, we've got a start on the job, 13 down and 36 more to go. We'll get more tomorrow because everything is set up now and the kinks worked out. The main thing is to have the weather co-operate, it only got to +2 today with a nasty wind and a few scattered sprinkles of rain/snow--- we work outside for this operation so it really wasn't a nice day for it. Oldedeere #2 and her trusty fishnet do the catching and head removal with the hatchet, I get started scalding and plucking while she catches, kills and lays them out on a plank until we're up to what we think we can handle, then we both pluck until we're done. Then I start gutting while she finishes up the last plucking. We both gut and pinfeather until she starts washing, drying and bagging. Sounds like a lot of work, but there are now 13 in the freezer and it only took us three hours from start to finish . It gets too dark up here by 5:45 p.m. to work outside, and we were getting too cold to do anymore anyway. Supper was beef shortribs, didn't want to face another chicken, lol.
  • olcowhand, hamman, CRFarnsworth and 4 others have said thanks

#2 CRFarnsworth ONLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,642 Thanks
  • 1,734 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 09:48 PM

That brings back a few memories.   My sister won't eat chicken and hasn't since we were youngin's.    Guess she was traumatized when we were kids and helped out with the butchering.     Rick

• oldedeeres said thank you

#3 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,638 Thanks
  • 1,330 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 11:24 PM

It's a lot later than usual for us, but we started butchering chickens today. I guess that's what you can expect when we didn't get the peeps until mid-June--- should have been thinking ahead. Anyhow, we've got a start on the job, 13 down and 36 more to go. We'll get more tomorrow because everything is set up now and the kinks worked out. The main thing is to have the weather co-operate, it only got to +2 today with a nasty wind and a few scattered sprinkles of rain/snow--- we work outside for this operation so it really wasn't a nice day for it. Oldedeere #2 and her trusty fishnet do the catching and head removal with the hatchet, I get started scalding and plucking while she catches, kills and lays them out on a plank until we're up to what we think we can handle, then we both pluck until we're done. Then I start gutting while she finishes up the last plucking. We both gut and pinfeather until she starts washing, drying and bagging. Sounds like a lot of work, but there are now 13 in the freezer and it only took us three hours from start to finish . It gets too dark up here by 5:45 p.m. to work outside, and we were getting too cold to do anymore anyway. Supper was beef shortribs, didn't want to face another chicken, lol.

What no pics! :D  

Its always good to have a few chickens in the freezer. Nothing tastes better than a home grow chicken!

Good luck with the rest of them.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 24, 2013 - 05:11 AM

What no pics! :D  

Its always good to have a few chickens in the freezer. Nothing tastes better than a home grow chicken!

Good luck with the rest of them.

I agree. Since we started getting free range chicken from my cousins farm we find store bought just doesn't taste the same. We get 24/year at about 8 lbs each and usually 6 turkey breasts.

#5 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • 5,861 Thanks
  • 3,195 posts

Posted October 24, 2013 - 10:04 PM

Day two at the butchering went much better with the weather cooperating at +6 and not much wind. Got 21 more in the freezer, only 12 more to go. Back in the day we did 72 in one sitting, but that was then and this is now. Just thinking about that makes my hands ache. 25 years sure makes a difference in what a guy can accomplish---- we still get it done, but it ain't pretty, lol.

#6 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,723 Thanks
  • 8,906 posts

Posted October 24, 2013 - 10:09 PM

25 years sure makes a difference in what a guy can accomplish---- we still get it done, but it ain't pretty, lol.

Don't feel bad, I'm 35 years behind ya and the only thing I killed today was my foreman's hopes and dreams of being done by the end of the week.

• MH81, KennyP, LilysDad and 2 others have said thanks

#7 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,637 Thanks
  • 7,672 posts

Posted October 25, 2013 - 07:24 AM

Don't feel bad, I'm 35 years behind ya and the only thing I killed today was my foreman's hopes and dreams of being done by the end of the week.

:bigrofl:

#8 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted October 25, 2013 - 07:33 AM

I'm glad you are making progress with the butchering.  Last month Dad and I did 21 in one day.  He set up the equipment, I did the deeds.  It took a while but I finished just before dark, clean up and all.

I hope the last 12 go well too.

Cat, that was a good one!

#9 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • 5,861 Thanks
  • 3,195 posts

Posted October 26, 2013 - 01:59 AM

No chickens died here today. The weather was terrible, high wind, couldn't keep the fire under the scalder and colder than this old bird wanted to work in. There'll be a better day. Had one of yesterday's birds for supper--- delicious!
  • MH81 said thank you

#10 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • 5,861 Thanks
  • 3,195 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 11:41 PM

IMG_1921.JPG IMG_1910.JPG IMG_1933.JPG Finally got the job finished, it may not be pretty, but it's done for another year.

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,443 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 05:25 AM

Glad you got them cleaned up! What's for supper? Chicken?