Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Hey does anyone else pull with a jd 110?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Rocking416 OFFLINE  

Rocking416

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1546
  • 76 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted December 11, 2010 - 08:05 PM

This is my jd 110 1970 i got like 101 feet stock motor and wheel weights i forgot the weight class

Posted Image

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 11, 2010 - 08:10 PM

I have seen quite a few John Deere 110 garden tractors pull. They seem to do pretty good for their weight. Sometimes though the owners don't have them weighed down enough and they loose traction pretty quick but the same goes for any garden tractor that might be pulling.

101' isn't too shabby.

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,678 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted December 11, 2010 - 09:48 PM

Nice JD :thumbs:

#4 Rocking416 OFFLINE  

Rocking416

Tractorholic

• 76 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted December 12, 2010 - 10:25 AM

Thanks I think i need to put a front weight bar on it

#5 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 12, 2010 - 11:04 AM

Front weight bar will help, also get the weights off the wheels and hang them just ahead of the rear tires on a bar under the tractor. you want the tractor to transfer all the weight to the back tires, and make the rear tires as lite as possible on rotating mass. less HP to make the tire roll.

The tractor should carry the weight of the front end. One front wheel just barely touching as you get to the end of the pull. You can steer by leaning to one side or the other.

Brian

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 19, 2010 - 07:41 AM

That's a nice looking JD.

#7 Rocking416 OFFLINE  

Rocking416

Tractorholic

• 76 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted December 19, 2010 - 05:25 PM

Thanks that does makes sense to take the Wheel weights off I appericate that

#8 Josh Smith OFFLINE  

Josh Smith

• Member No: 769
  • 7 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted December 28, 2010 - 11:21 PM

Thanks that does makes sense to take the Wheel weights off I appericate that

Yeah You want the weights off of the wheels as they will hurt your momentum as it will be to much rotating mass and slow down the wheel speed more than one would think. The best thing you can do is build an under trans box and an under belly bar or box. If your rules will allow it you can build a weight bar that hangs off of the rear of the tractor and allows you to hang weights depending on the rules some allow them and some donot. I dont know what your wieght ratio would be as far as the front and rear but if you put on a front weight bar (and you should) then put weight on in small incriments untill you find what works start with say a 10-1 ratio for every 10lbs on the rear put 1lb on the front say youve got 500lbs on the rear (under trans and underbelly or rear bar ect.) Then put 50lbs or less on the front. The best pull will be made when the front tires are barely touching the track shifting you weight will help with steering. A good set of ag tires will help aswell like Carlisle Super Lugs, Vogel VMTT (excellent Super Hard Tires, Old Firestone 23, Old Cepek Big Bar are all good tires in a stock class tires weigh alot on a good or bad pull. I dont pull with a JD but know some folks who do and they do fairly well when they are set up correctly. If yours is the variable speed then most of the folks I know get it set where they want it and either tack weld it up, weld it solid or fasten it up someway so theres no chance of it moving out of place. The Masseys are what I pull with and the MF10s and MF12s are variable speed but dont need any welding or anything as they lock into place when you set them and dont seem to have any chance of moving so I just leave them alone not sure about the JDs. You have a nice looking tractor and with a little help itll be a really good puller. P.S. If theres a way you can lock the rear do it itll make it pull twice as hard thanks Josh

#9 Josh Smith OFFLINE  

Josh Smith

• 7 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted December 28, 2010 - 11:22 PM

You also want plenty of tension on the belt because with added traction it make it haeder for the belts to hold on with out wanting to slip. Ive seen some not slip a bit and seen some slip a lot just depends on the type of tension they have stock. I dont know what your gearing is but you may also want to think about that aswell (pulleys) just remeber momentum is your friend. Also if you make your tractor as light as possible it help in being able to shift you weight more to where you want it and need it then being dead weight where you dont and possibly hurting you. The most important thing is learning and having fun while doing it aswell as making friends. Have fun.

Edited by Josh Smith, December 28, 2010 - 11:38 PM.
Posted Same thing Twice

#10 Josh Smith OFFLINE  

Josh Smith

• 7 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted December 28, 2010 - 11:30 PM

Sorry for some reason I poted twice mustof hit post twice or something. I fixed it Lol

Edited by Josh Smith, December 28, 2010 - 11:39 PM.

#11 lawnmowerdr OFFLINE  

lawnmowerdr

• Member No: 1798
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted January 15, 2011 - 03:50 PM

yes i have a jd 110.pulled a couple of times.it has the 26x12x12 on it.with weight bar in front and weight pan underneath.has a modified 12hp on it.the belt sliped last time.hope to place next season.

#12 reece110 OFFLINE  

reece110

• Member No: 5340
  • 0 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted August 11, 2011 - 10:56 PM

I have two jd 110s that i would like to pull but everyone tells me they wouldnt do much good because there so heavy. I have a round fender and square fender. Just dunno which would be best to pull with..

#13 rugabuga OFFLINE  

rugabuga

• Member No: 5672
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted August 19, 2011 - 09:50 PM

i want to make my round fender a puller glad someone has already done it

#14 CdnSnowWhite OFFLINE  

CdnSnowWhite

• Member No: 7289
  • 3 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted November 05, 2011 - 07:48 PM

Our '68 JD110 (with 8hp Kohler engine) has done surprisingly well this past season.

We have added 44 lbs slung underneath at the back between the tires and my daughter who is driving weighs about 150 lbs.

We usually have her pull in second gear and work the variable speed lever so it is a slow but steady pull down the track - nothing too exciting for the audience but she accomplishes the task.

It pulls is the 850 stock class with a sled loaded to 5600 - 6300 lbs and was getting over 200 feet on packed stone dust tracks.

DSC_0053.jpg

#15 whjoel OFFLINE  

whjoel

• Member No: 7307
  • 7 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted November 14, 2011 - 05:42 PM

I have a buddy who's been pulling a Deere for a couple of years. The biggest problem he had was with the variator. Now he's almost got it figured out. The belts were slipping and it just wasn't working properly. It works ok now, he just needs to learn to use it to gain the advantage he could have with it. He's not scared to change it going down the track even though I've told him the horror stories of doing so, but he's changing it too late in the pull. I keep telling him to grab it before the motor starts bogging down and slow it down but he waits until its about dead then changes it. I think if you really listen to the motor and know when its about to start lugging and drop down just a bit you could really do well having the variator. As long as you don't run into durabilty problems with it. Just my 2 cents.
Joel;