#46 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,498 Thanks
  • 4,952 posts

Posted February 19, 2014 - 09:43 AM

So I haven't updated this thread in a while, but I have been doing some work, not much picture worth stuff, alot of adding 2x4's, tearing out this, etc. Between the Tahoe keeps breaking down, having to plow snow every 7 days and getting sick, I got side tracked a little. My sister is staying there too while mom is in Florida for a month, I would rather not work there while she is around so that took some my work enthusiasm away too, she can work a last good nerve pretty hard.

So anyway, I did remove the old ceiling light and scounces on the wall, ran all new electric for plugs/lights. The ceiling light was tied into a section of knob and tube that is still functioning. I sooo wish I could swap all that out, but it disappears up through the floors joyces to second floor and off to who knows where.

I got all my plumbing supplies and most of it replaced and updated. Working on running lines to remodel bathroom, rest of the house is hooked back up and has water. I left the copper lines going to the kitchen and back bathroom, those will get updated when they get re-done after we move in and get settled.

I'm telling you, this PEX stuff is wonderful. I basically replumbed the the whole house including ripping out old stuff in about 8 hours. No solder joints and not one leak, I would've had a sprinkler system with soldering.

I'm hoping to finish my plumbing rough in for bathroom this week, then I need to get shower permantly attached, then move floor register, then start drywalling.

I found I created a heat channel by opening up the walls, with all this cold and ice, I had water coming in and running down the wall where the kitchen/bathroom attaches to main house and also where the main stack goes through roof. Now that it has warmed up an I shoved some insulation between the studs, it has dried up. I will look at roof once it warms up, but I think insulating and closing walls back up will prevent future ice dams up there.

Hole cut in ceiling for wiring and new light/fan

CAM00069_zps494423da.jpg

This is what it will look like. Had to get new sink though, when my mom bought the other pedestal sink years ago, they gave her a cabinet sink with a pedestal, dad never opened box so they didn't know. We also had to scrap the scounce light idea and move light over cabinet due to the short shower wall and cabinet sticking out, no room for a light ebtween the two. Oh well, good thing I laid it out before I ran electric.

CAM00073_zps7b990693.jpg

Old plumbing , hot water heater and piping for washer and tub

CAM00093_zpsfb2c1171.jpg

All cleaned up and tore out. I got a nice pile of copper to go to scrap!

CAM00097_zps68e0897e.jpg

New lines off the pump reserve tank. The copper strap/cothes hanger is temporary. My new water softener systems will be going to the left where you can see the top of the freezer, I will make everything permanent then.

Man, I hate to think about remove that big old freezer, been down there since 1975 and still works.

CAM00094_zps5d7e076c.jpg

New manifold system with hot and cold. I put every faucet/toilet, etc on a separate valve on the manifold with also shutoffs at sink/toilet....wonderful!

From what I have read, the manifold system really helps in pressure loss in say the shower when the toilet is flushed, unlike running pipes in a series with just T's.

I hate having the electric line there next to water line for Hot water heater. I used some wood blocks to keep water lines off electric pipe. not sure what else I could do for now and I had to get water back on. Down the road I may move electric line so it runs more under and away from water lines or even just bring it out and do a straight drop with PVC or pipe to electric connection on top of HWH, completely get it off the wall, that's the way mine is at my house.

Notice the nice wet seam on the concrete wall under main sewer pipe....yea, I don't ever remember water seeping through at that point, been a rough winter!!!!

The wall at that copper strap is wet too, that's where it's running down from upstairs roof due to my heat channel I caused, all dry now.

CAM00101_zpscfb865d8.jpg

CAM00102_zpsc282ab56.jpg

Edited by TAHOE, February 19, 2014 - 09:53 AM.

• Alc, twostep and oldedeeres have said thanks

#47 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,874 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted February 19, 2014 - 10:51 PM

That's a lot of work, man. I hate doing that fussy, repair type of work, and you have been doing a good job of it. My hat's off to you for sticking at it and keeping your enthusiasm up.

• TAHOE and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#48 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,498 Thanks
  • 4,952 posts

Posted February 20, 2014 - 09:23 AM

Thanks. My family will come in  and ask " haven't you done anything? "

Nope not a thing :wallbanging:   They don't see the behind the scenes type stuff.

I have to go to my sister's tonight and do plumbing, she went to Fla, my other sister is staying there and and the main sewer pipe has a clogged :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :mad2:

Edited by TAHOE, February 20, 2014 - 09:49 AM.

• MH81 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#49 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 07:03 AM

I remember when I was redoing the bathroom in my last house for my ex wife.  I worked for 2 weeks redoing plumbing, fixing the floor joist, redoing all the wiring, ect ect.  All behind the scenes stuff.  She kept saying you aren't doing anything, you are just in there screwing around!

• TAHOE said thank you

#50 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,498 Thanks
  • 4,952 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 09:26 AM

Getting there, starting to see light at the end of the tunnel.

Before and after, finally got 99% of the drywall hung, jsut a couple fill in pieces left then I can start taping and mudding.

Question- I'm putting up wainsacoting on a couple walls up 4', would you prep drywall underneath at all? I'm nailing in on so no adhesive or such.

2014-03-26_19-20-53_994_zpsd7867b8b.jpg

2014-03-26_20-35-07_335_zps638f10d5.jpg

#51 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,498 Thanks
  • 4,952 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 09:27 AM

Need opinions......

What color should I paint barn?

Wife wants barn red, I want white. It is currently 1/4 white, rest is yellow

photobucket-10088-1382005989781_zpsf436a

#52 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 11:34 AM

If it was me.  I'd finish the drywall underneath.  But I am weird like that.

I see no advantage or disadvantage either way.

The only advantage I can see is since you are nailing it up, and you want to take it down later, the only thing you would have to do is compound some nail holes, and primer and paint. 

As for the barn...I always thought a white barn looked good.  Kind of like an old school white wash.

Edited by toomanytoys84, March 27, 2014 - 11:35 AM.

• Sawdust said thank you

#53 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,498 Thanks
  • 4,952 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 01:22 PM

If it was me.  I'd finish the drywall underneath.  But I am weird like that.

I see no advantage or disadvantage either way.

The only advantage I can see is since you are nailing it up, and you want to take it down later, the only thing you would have to do is compound some nail holes, and primer and paint. 

As for the barn...I always thought a white barn looked good.  Kind of like an old school white wash.

Yea, I figured if it ever came down, I would have to prep any way, could finish drywall then. Then I don't plan to ever take it down, but I do live with a woman!

The front of barn is kind of white washed already. Dad got ahold of some old white exterior paint and slapped it on, nto enough for  the whole barn. My wife says old barns need to be red, but this barn is not the typical shaped gambrel roof style, I don't think red would look good, needs to be white IMO!

#54 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 10:34 PM

I agree finish the DW & white on the barn, it has some good old features to it.

#55 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,765 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 10:45 PM

Compromise and paint the barn pink.
  • KennyP and JDBrian have said thanks

#56 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,635 posts

Posted March 28, 2014 - 06:32 AM

As for the drywall, do the taping and first mud for air. Other than that, no need because you'll have to do serious repairs if you ever pull it off and you can finish it and paint then.

Barns are red. White trimmings would be nice tho.

#57 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,498 Thanks
  • 4,952 posts

Posted March 28, 2014 - 09:25 AM

Compromise and paint the barn pink.

Oh geezz, thanks Wille. :wallbanging:  My daughter already wants me to paint one of my Speedexs for her, purple with pink trim.

#58 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted March 28, 2014 - 09:30 AM

Oh geezz, thanks Wille. :wallbanging:  My daughter already wants me to paint one of my Speedexs for her, purple with pink trim.

You gotta keep the ladies happy!  Plus if it gets her out there cutting grass I'd paint a tractor purple with pink polka dots!

#59 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,498 Thanks
  • 4,952 posts

Posted March 28, 2014 - 09:49 AM

:wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:

I screwed up even against my better judgement. I hooked the rest of the rain pipes up to the main system on Wed's night, had a leak last night all over basement. Thankfully it's just on the kitchen sink side and not toilet so water is not too nasty coming out.

As you see the red circle in pic below, I had some cast fitting that are a combo of 22* angles and short nipples to line up the drains with the stack. They all felt solids so I left them-STUPID!!!! I guess the threads on one of the nipples was rotted out and my pushing/pulling installing the other pipes finally broke it lose. Now I have to cut out some new fittings I just installed so I replace all of it again.....GGGRRRR

plumbing -drain.jpg

Started mudding last night, I hate drywalling. To me it's like doing exhaust work on a car, real pain in the butt. My dad did drywall for years on the side, he enjoyed it and made it look like an art with his finishing skills, never had to sand on his last coat it was so smooth.

I'm going to go ahead and tape all the joint top to bottom if nothing else than my out peace of mind.

I think barn will stay white and maybe do red trim. She gets to pick all the house colors, the barn is mine  MUWAHAHAHAHA

Daughter cut grass.....hahaha now that's funny right there I don't care who you are! Cant' even get her to clean her own room.

• KennyP said thank you

#60 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,487 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted March 28, 2014 - 05:11 PM

Isn't remodeling fun? That leak is about like fixing galvanized water line, fix one spot and it leaks right next to it!