80 replies to this topic

#16 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,241 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 12:25 PM

Your sister sounds a lot like my wife's brother.

My wife's family owns a very large house, worth probably in the neighborhood of 300,000.  He is doing everything he can to get the mother to leave him the house in the will.  I told my wife let him have it.  Its been 23 years and he hasn't moved out of there yet, I don't see him ever moving out.  Less headache for us trying to figure out what to do with the house after she is gone.

We will already have my families home to deal with.  As I am an only child.  It's already in my name, and my parents my mom is only 49 and my Dad 52.

Hopefully it will be a long time before we ever have to worry about that.

Edited by toomanytoys84, November 06, 2013 - 12:26 PM.

• TAHOE said thank you

#17 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 05:45 PM

888270211_640.jpg

Very nice place.... These faucets (we have em) are horrible if you have anything but perfect water. Your calcium will build up inside and everyone can see it.. unless you scrub them after every use. Then you wear off the finish by over cleaning them. I really like em but we have nasty water here... 

• TAHOE said thank you

#18 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,940 posts

Posted November 17, 2013 - 07:22 PM

Did some work Saturday, most of the day actually. Would've rather have been sweeping up the knee deep yard full of leaves, but this needed to get done before Thanksgiving. Got it 95 % or so done, just have to put up some 2x2's long ways under the railings.

I ended up pulling main frame from porch, added 2- 2x6's screwed to porch to push it out 3". Pushing this out allowed me to extend the ramp some and not have to cut around AC unit. I was also able to push AC back about 1 1/2" back. I removed the 8' ramps and extended to 10', not big change, but slightly less angle. I also added and extra support under the middle of the ramp so it wouldn't bounce, my 370# FIL would make it cry a little.

Hit the top rail with the belt sander to remove any splinters.

Turned out very nicely, my mom is ecstatic, family should be too.

I may have to remove a couple ramp treads and put some 2x6 pieces in between ramp boards, they can twist when putting weight on tap rail making ramp feel unstable. I think couple pieces screwed in between boards will prevent that twist they can do making it feel unstable. Deck is solid as a rock though!

photobucket-1141-1384730926723_zpscab651

photobucket-4786-1384730952398_zpsd4f089

photobucket-2465-1384730901651_zps42ec2b

• Sawdust said thank you

#19 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,241 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted November 17, 2013 - 07:43 PM

Looks good! Wanna come.to ohio this spring and build me a deck?

#20 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,940 posts

Posted November 17, 2013 - 07:52 PM

Looks good! Wanna come.to ohio this spring and build me a deck?

Thanks..... NO!!! :D  :rolling:

I'm already in Ohio :wave:

#21 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,241 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted November 17, 2013 - 08:13 PM

On mobile view I can see locations. I forgot you are pretty close to me.

#22 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,940 posts

Posted November 23, 2013 - 07:49 PM

Got deck/ramp pretty much finished today, man the wind chill was like -100 below :wallbanging:

Anyway, just ran some 2x2's lengthwise instead of spindles, probably not to "code" but neither is the ramp, but it will work!

Need some traction stuff on ramp, may lay some roll roofing down and screw it down for now. Too cold to do much anything else.

Also had to work on barn some, stupid goats tearing stuff up in there!!!

photobucket-9687-1385250748273_zpsb58967

photobucket-7050-1385250778375_zps2e343e

• KennyP said thank you

#23 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 11:34 AM

Should work very well. The rolled roofing should work until the weather improves. Just had an idea pop into my head for traction. Get the 'silica sand' to mix in paint for traction, but use urethane(exterior) instead. Would keep the wood look but give the traction needed. (Don't use poly-urethane, not made for outside)

• TAHOE said thank you

#24 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,940 posts

Posted December 04, 2013 - 11:03 AM

Stopped at mom's last night to feed. My sister was there..."mom's got a bad water leak"

Oh just great, what could this be?

My sister said there was a leak in mom's master bath, you could hear water spraying, but she didni't know shutoff valve was in basement. I was able to shut it off, ended up a short threaded nipple I replaced last fall had already rotted through the thread area forming a pin hole. I'm thinking a combination of steel in brass and the pipe dope I used ate through them. Getting brass nipples tonight.

Mom said "I thought I heard a noise "yesterday", but wasn't sure".

This could've been leaking for who knows how many days, good thing my sister went back there to replace mom's meds.

Not sure of any below damage, bottom of cabinet is all soft, can't see inside crawl space, but I would imagine its's all soaked down under there, good thing most went down back wall and not out under bathroom floor.

I just can't wait to move in to start the rehab :wallbanging:  :rolling:  :rolling:  :D

#25 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,940 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 10:24 AM

Finally, some more progress to update.

That no good, lazy bones worthless guy finally got off his butt and did something.....oh, that's me :D

Anyway, getting ready to expand mud room to make laundry room. Pulled the old house siding off the wall, took my time as I wantd to save as much as possible for future repairs I will need elsewhere on the house. Must be 107 yr old redwood, very dry, soft, and brittle.....and a ton of 100 yr old dust and garbage, glad I was wering respirator. You can see the roofing paper they used as a vapor/moisture barrier.

I also removed a small section of drywall to see what I have to work with and tear out.

Plan is to build new wall over to wear 2x6 is standing, that will be 5x8' extra, build new platform for new mud room floor, then enclose. Part of it will be a closet dacing into garage as that will become boy's bedroom also, doorway will come into it basically where corner of existing mudroom is.

Sorry about hazy pics, it's from the dust still in the air from me sweeping!

photobucket-8912-1387415175674_zpse47940

photobucket-3988-1387415213000_zps5ddeba

photobucket-10756-1387415230764_zps7c12b

photobucket-9005-1387415155300_zpsd696e3

photobucket-3589-1387415111454_zps4c22b4

photobucket-5358-1387415134384_zps54d2da

Questions

1. Picure 4 you can see the wide boards they used under the siding, there is no insulation at all behind these. This will become an inside wall ( living room on the other side), should I still insulate or just let it ride???

If I insulate, I plan to remove the very top board, get some of the blown in stuff then just push it down in there some how.

2. Picture 3 shows the foundation of house which used to be outside. I will bring drywall down to the top of that, wife and I think we will just paint it color of room and leave. If not, I will have to somehow frame out around it then drywall over making probably a little 4 1/2-5" wide ledge which I'm not big into.  The rest will be undr the mud room platform hidden. The outside garage wall is foundation also, but I can glue drywall under existing wall board and smooth it all out.

What do ya think?

Next week I should have some bathroom updates. I know I'm stupid doing two projects like this at one time, but when something is drying or I'm waiting on supplies, I can be working on the other one.

Edited by TAHOE, December 19, 2013 - 10:25 AM.

#26 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,270 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 12:09 PM

Marty, sounds like a plan all the way around. Things to consider: those boards are wirer than a foot and old... May be a market for them.
The cement blocks will tent to have collect moisture. If wall boarding over, paint with dry lock first and/or use he green board.
What is the depth difference from blocks to drywall surface? You may be best off to just paint and leave, but if you want to hide, you can do a wainscoting around the lower 3' and have it come down over the blocks. Small chair rail at top and there is a lot of drywall you don't have to sand /finish.

#27 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,270 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 12:13 PM

Oh, and if there is a big difference (gap) at the blocks, spray foam; let it cure; use an old bread knife to cut it (shave) to proper thickness.

#28 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,940 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 12:32 PM

Yea, I gotta drywall over them anyway and if I removed, sure would be easier to insulate, run my plumbing, etc.

My wife already has an idea to make a large old dining room table even though these would be too thin for that.

The newer cement blocks on the outside wall are above grade, they stay dry and I can just continue the existing drywall down over them with no bulge. I can consider still painting, I have some drylock form previous project.

The old block jut out probably 2-3" and they are uneven surface  as you can see. The other side is the living room crawl space which stays bone dry. You can see I left the last siding board attached, it sits flush on top of the block. If I removed it and the wide boards, then I will have about an inch of the top blocks sticking out. I will only have just shy of 6' of these block to deal with, rest will be under new laundry room. My son plans to use that littel corner cove to set up all his fish & reptile tanks so may just be a go to seal and paint.

I would love to wainscot everything, I hate drywall anymore.!!!! HAHA

#29 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,708 Thanks
  • 8,895 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 09:59 PM

Insulate absolutely everything you can, to the maximum extent that you can. Money saved in the long run. Pic 4, we call those Buffalo boards, because they're big.

What we're looking at there used to be the exterior, right? I would pull all the nails on the buff board, set the skilsaw for the thickness of those, and cut vertically over the studs closest to each side. That way they can be removed, r-13 or 15 added, 6 mil plastic over that, and then re-install the buffalo boards.

I vote for painting the block after sealing them.

#30 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,940 posts

Posted December 20, 2013 - 12:53 PM

Cat, yes this used to be ouside of house, now interior of garage since 1979 when dad built garage. It will be even more interior when I expand mud room and built bedroom in garage.

I started to remove them last night then realized they went up behind current mud room. I think I will wait until I remove that mudroom back wall and see what I got and wrok from there. If I remove the buff boards, not sure I will put them back up, just insulate and drywall over studs. I used sawzall to cut the siding off down the corners, almost cut through all the buff boards too :loosing_it:

Tomorrow's plan is to start demo in bathroom..... after I go work on that darn F@#d 8N

• MH81 and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks