#1 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 07:59 PM

So, I guess I will start a thread on the home that I will be moving to next summer. I have already posted a few pictures with remodel concerns, but I will just now add everything here.

My parents bought this home in Oct 1971 as just a big old two story farmhouse built in 1906 ( the white center section) they moved in 4 teenage daughters and a baby boy in 3 bedrooms.

1976 dad build the left side addition which was a large family room, master bed, and full bath. Then in 79/80, he built the garage on left side. In 2001, we built the large carport for the van and their Class B motorhome.

My dad did all the construction/maintenance up until about 2008 when he had double aneurism and open heart, the house went down hill after that. Dad just passed away this past Dec and now mom is struggling by herself.

My wife, mom, and myself along with my sisters have agreed that I would buy house, move in and mom would live with us while I fix up house. We are working through the purchase, probably a land contract at this point until we move in then sell our house and actually purchase from mom. A land contract allows us to pay minimal payment but still is a legal contract for my wife and I to purchase. This Is being done versus a provision in the will as I have one sister who most likely would protest sale.

Anyway, here are some pictures of our future home and ideas on future remodel and projects. First order of business is just to clean and purge of both mom and dad's hording tendencies, parents of depression.

From front drive

photobucket-4789-1382006101887_zps9fc761

photobucket-5198-1382006129354_zpsbf56f5

Back of family room/house/garage/ carport

photobucket-5913-1382006020728_zps67d711

photobucket-3472-1382006047953_zps5b16b6

photobucket-10549-1382006075083_zpsa3a25

The old barn, perfect for me since I already have my goats/chickens there.

photobucket-10088-1382005989781_zpsf436a

• Gtractor, MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and 9 others have said thanks

#2 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 08:04 PM

First order of business.....

This bathroom gets gutted and redone. It was like this when they moved in 42 yrs ago...aaaahhhh!!!!

photobucket-7153-1382006170402_zps261f7b

Next, here is valve on hot water heater.....you can see all the mineral deposits that are seeping through pipes from the horrible water. We will need filters and some good softener system to be able to use water. We are getting water checked, but it tastes like the ocean. I talked to a guy who tests water for living, he believes the calcium is leaching out of limestone into well. I just know it's horrible. I currently haul water for the animals from my house.

photobucket-9981-1382526645934_zpsb8936a

• HDWildBill, bgkid2966, JRJ and 1 other said thanks

#3 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 08:10 PM

This is another major project that will need to be done before we move in. The existing mud room gets widened about 8-9 feet over into garage. Once that gets done, then a bedroom gets put in around mud room approx. 9 feet out and across the width, it will be about a 9x12 with a small 5x5 corner. This will be my son's bedroom.

I hate losing my full garage, but I will still have a work bench area and room to cram in 2-3 GT's :D

garagein3_zps5dd58321.jpg

Other projects will be soffit/box gutter repair, entire house scrape and repainted, and move my fish pond from my house over to back yard along with a tons of other small things.

My wife and sisters want to install French doors on mom's family room side then add about a 12x12 deck with ramp..... oh it will never stop!!

• Texas Deere and Horse, HDWildBill, JRJ and 1 other said thanks

#4 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,626 Thanks
  • 2,579 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 08:28 PM

Ya...looks like you have a little work to do. Will be a good refurbish and remodel though. Looks like it is in a good area. You might have to sell me that Chevy pick up though. Looks like it has all the good parts I need to restore mine.LOL. Will be looking forward to the restoration. Good Luck. Roger.

• JRJ and TAHOE have said thanks

#5 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 08:35 PM

Ya...looks like you have a little work to do. Will be a good refurbish and remodel though. Looks like it is in a good area. You might have to sell me that Chevy pick up though. Looks like it has all the good parts I need to restore mine.LOL. Will be looking forward to the restoration. Good Luck. Roger.

Thanks

Truck will be for sale minus tool box, has no rocker panels, doors are rotting and fenders have rust holes. Does run, second gear slips. It was my dad and he wouldn't  do anything with it, but now we will need to move it soon. I would like to keep, but most likely just a parts truck or if tranny was fixed, good ole work truck.

• hamman and JRJ have said thanks

#6 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 09:58 PM

Sounds like you got a good plan. Your family remaining civil means a lot. I dread the day our parents pass with some of the siblings we have. Is this house in the same area you lived in?
  • JRJ and TAHOE have said thanks

#7 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted October 24, 2013 - 08:55 AM

Sounds like you got a good plan. Your family remaining civil means a lot. I dread the day our parents pass with some of the siblings we have. Is this house in the same area you lived in?

Yea, they moved in right after I turned 3, lived there until I got married at 25. My wife and I only live .7 miles around the corner presently.

It hasn't necessarilly been civil, there are 5 kids, my 4 older sisters and I. 4 of us are all in agreement, my "middle, bipoler, manic-depressant" sister is not on board thus the reason we are entering into the land contract with my mom. Mom was going to put a notation in her will that I got first shot to buy the house for $XXXX, but my sister could contest it. With a land contract, even if mom passes, I still have binding legal contract to buy house from the estate. Sad, but that's how we need to do it. Bad part is, she is in the worst shape financially of us 5 and couldn't buy it, but yet would cause problems.

Thankfully mom has stood up to her and told her it is her wishes that I buy the house, enough said.  GO MOM!!! :D

• HDWildBill, Team_Green, JRJ and 1 other said thanks

#8 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted October 24, 2013 - 09:37 AM

Sounds like you have your work cut out for yourself but the good part is you have a plan, but you know how those go,, can be changed at any point.

Looks like you have a good foundation to work with.

Dick

• TAHOE said thank you

#9 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted October 24, 2013 - 09:46 AM

Here is what the wife has planned for bathroom. The current toilet is new, my mom bought a pedestal sink a few years ago so once gutted, we are going back with a country feel, black lights, the wains coating up half of walls. We also found floor tiles that actually look like old wood flooring, wifey fell in love with it. So besides picking a shower( eliminating full bath since one in mom's bathroom), we've found everything we want for bathroom.

bathroomupdate_zps59de506c.jpg

Here is the almost identical sink faucet we want, we already bought the one for the shower that matches.

888270211_640.jpg

This is kind of what floor looks like, but we will use same color grout so the lines will be "hidden"

ceramic-porcelain-fir-10082157-heroshot.

Eventually I want to build a large fish/turtle pond of the carport. It will be about 10' x 15' and I want a small berm in the corner with an old clawfoot bath tub overflowing into a stream down into pond. That is just a personal side procject, I will be moving my smaller pond from curretn house to there come this summer before we sell house.

You get to see my superb paint skills again haha

housepond_zps5b07555e.jpg

• MH81, Alc, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#10 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 11:04 AM

The first official project!

My mom, sister, 2 aunts and uncle all have knee/back issues and have problems with steep steps, this old house has 3-4 steps no matter what door you enter. All will be out for Thanksgiving so talked to my sister, came up with this for now. It's off the back porch, but will suffice for the "old" people :D

Small 4'x5' deck and ramp up to it. I would like more slope, but they are all good with it, any longer and I would have AC unit issues.

My drill ran out on Saturday so this is as far as I got. Still need to anchor to porch, add decking and all handrails. Probably do some traction paint or maybe a piece off 30# roll roofing up ramp.

and before any says a thing.....it's all an illusion as to where I stood in the sloped yard, everything is level. :smilewink:

What I started with

photobucket-6460-1383577535703_zps245212

Framed in

photobucket-6772-1383577559338_zps2dc3a3

• Alc, KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks

#11 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,736 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 03:04 PM

Nothing like family to cause problems. I know of three people who tried buying a house from family without a contract and it went south each time. Nothing like a legal document that everyone has to abide by. I am buyign my house from the owner. The contract has very clear details as to what happens if either of us default - of course not stated but known to his is the "I will stomp you into a mudhole" clause that I included.

Looks like a nice project there.

I love those optical illusion shots.

• KennyP and TAHOE have said thanks

#12 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,234 Thanks
  • 5,073 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 09:30 PM

Nice. Thanks for sharing this. I am going to be starting on another room soon.

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,252 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted November 05, 2013 - 07:03 AM

When you get back to this, the anti skid. They sell it in small rolls at Valu Hardware.

Looks like a nice upgrade. It will be steep, but since they all voted OK, you're in the clear :D

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,395 Thanks
  • 39,658 posts

Posted November 05, 2013 - 08:25 AM

Back when we did a lot of wheelchair ramps, we rose 1" per foot. If they are happy with it, get-r-dun.

#15 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 10:06 AM

I agree it's a little steep, but that's what they want and approved, not for wheel chairs anyway. If it was, I would have to practically take it to the driveway haha.

My one sister said "this won't work for a wheel chair"

I said, "good thing since it's not for a wheel chair"

If it's a problem, won't be hard to get longer ramp support board and add more treads. May have to move it out some though and make platform bigger if I do that, the AC unit would be in the way so I would have to build around it. We will see how this works for now, it's gotta be better for them than trying to climb all the steps. For some reason, all the steps into the house have like a 8-9" rise per step, all very tall.

Edited by TAHOE, November 06, 2013 - 10:11 AM.

• Sawdust and toomanytoys84 have said thanks