• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BillTribbitt OFFLINE  

BillTribbitt
  • Member No: 48427
  • 51 Thanks
  • 56 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 07:42 PM

My wheels measure 16" but my tire is 27x15. Is this possible or am I measuring my wheel wrong? Edge to edge it's 16"

• Dieselcubmike and JRJ have said thanks

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 08:13 PM

Yep, measuring wrong. MTD's like yours DO have 15" tires. Measure the rim down into bottom of outer lip, to where the Bead on tire would sit. OR, seeing tires are on, just measure from bend where bead of wheel starts to other side same area. See the Bead lip is not counted in the size, but usually adds another inch or more if you measure straight across the metal. 15 tires are little harder to find in GT type. Almost nothing in an AG type is available now. If yours have good tread, but leak a little, just go have tire store put in tubes and they will work long time, even when cracked some.  Think the big Case GT's have same size and some Wheelhorse in bigger models if you look for used tires. The wheels don't interchange, I believe you should have just 4-bolt set-up for mounting??

• JRJ said thank you

#3 BillTribbitt OFFLINE  

BillTribbitt
  • 51 Thanks
  • 56 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 08:25 PM

Yes, 4 bolt wheels. 1" axles. Thought maybe that was the case. AG tires are a must for the look I want. Assume I have to go to 16" wheels? Where is a good place to find them?

• JRJ said thank you

#4 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 10:17 PM

Heres a good topic this was just brought up not too long ago. I too have an MTD 990 so I know your pain lol.

http://gardentractor...g-15-lug-tires/

#5 Jlaws OFFLINE  

Jlaws
  • Member No: 31172
  • 543 Thanks
  • 366 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 10:31 PM

Bill if there 27 X 15's may I suggest what I used on my MTD . I really like the look of the American Farmer 33 X 15's I used on my 990 MTD . They are listed as 33 inches tall but there actually only 29 1/2 inches and clear the fenders by about an inch .

Heres a few pictures of my MTD that I recently restored with those tires .

I also have the tire website that I ordered them thru .

http://stopandgotire...n Implement I-3

I ordered the 7.6 x15's because my rims are 7" wide .
There a little over $200 for the pair shipped to your door .

Attached Thumbnails

• 009.JPG
  • 008.JPG
  • post-31172-0-71380700-1378867660_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jlaws, October 23, 2013 - 10:52 PM.

• DH1, Alc and Dieselcubmike have said thanks

#6 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 10:53 PM

Jlaw I saved that website when you first brought up the topic awhile ago. I love the look on your MTD and I hope ill have enough saved up for a pair for a Christmas present to myself :D You did a great job on it and I cant wait to start on mine here soon.

• Jlaws said thank you

#7 BillTribbitt OFFLINE  

BillTribbitt
  • 51 Thanks
  • 56 posts

Posted October 24, 2013 - 10:03 AM

Yes Jlaw, the setup you used is the look I want. My fenders do seem to sag a little though. What would you suggest to get them to sit level.

The 990 you did was beautiful by the way. Hope mine turns out half that nice.

#8 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted October 24, 2013 - 03:09 PM

Fenders: Have seem fellas make a little strap to put on Inside corner in back for support. Only thing is, the bolts or ? will show on top of fender.  I then have since found that Wheelhorse D series tractors have a fender brace in same location. It bolts to inside upright metal, but has a rubber "pad" like on the outer end that fender just sets on. I got some off epay for mine. It is triangular shape with two bent edges for strength. They sure should have put something on these fenders, it is easy to bend them by leaning on them to get on/off all the time.

On those tires......I got one off epay once, went to a dealer to get match. He said he could, but when came in actually different name on the side. Treads looked the same.  These are imports. I put them on my Speedex. Here's a pix maybe. They are actually 7.5 and not the 8" you probly have now.

Attached Thumbnails

• Tiller, tires and Speedex painted 2013-07-02 011.jpg

#9 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted October 24, 2013 - 06:35 PM

You can always buy the tires you want then buy wheel blanks and weld in the centers from your current wheels....This make sense?

Miller Tire sells wheel blanks.....maybe even the centers to fit your 4 bolt pattern....Maybe trailer wheels in the 4 bolt pattern fit your hubs....Just thinking out-loud.