• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 blacksmith1 OFFLINE  

blacksmith1
  • Member No: 42387
  • 12 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 06:55 PM

I got the G3200 to the point I could do a test mow. Typical tear down/rebuild issues, nothing major.

I do have a question. The Kubota just purrs and the deck is not making any odd noises but the deck is really loud. Is this normal?

#2 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,477 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 09:45 PM

the deck is not making any odd noises but the deck is really loud. Is this normal? 

My decks are not any louder than any other deck. I'm guessing that you have a bearing or bearings that need replacing. Have you checked to see if there is grease in the gearbox on the deck? 

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 10:07 PM

I'm with Chris on this, it's the spindle bearing more then likely and do check that gear box, you don't want to have to buy one..

#4 blacksmith1 OFFLINE  

blacksmith1
  • 12 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted October 24, 2013 - 04:14 PM

I tore down the deck to rebuild the body, and was careful to repack the bearings. They all seemed pretty tight. The gear box was full but I topped it off anyway. It also seemed to be smooth and trouble free.  I replaced the belt and the only thing I noticed was the pulleys were pitted. If the hobbs meter can be believed this has less than 275 hours on the whole rig. 

It mows well and It's not a bad sound, more like a fan but really loud. A gent was in the area and he too commented that that was a very loud machine.

#5 efharg OFFLINE  

efharg
  • Member No: 46932
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted October 24, 2013 - 05:30 PM

It might seem louder because the blades spin up pretty fast on these mowers.  I have a G4200 and it seems to turn the blades faster than other belt drive mowers I have had.

#6 blacksmith1 OFFLINE  

blacksmith1
  • 12 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted October 26, 2013 - 02:50 PM

Removed the belt and spun it up. It is definitely the gearbox (or gear box/spindle) making the noise.

I noticed the idler pulley had no zurk before and figured while I am at it replace those bearings. The cast iron pulley is cracking badly around the snap-ring on the bottom. Not enough to warrant making or buying another but the thin part of the casting is flaking off. 

I am taking the gear box apart and all the gears seem perfect and the bearings seem to be smooth, the bearings in the neck (12 below) have an almost imperceptible bit of drag so I will replace those.

Does one permanently damage the external seal (below #14) by removing it to replace the bearings (#12) ?   

gearbox.jpg?w=584

#7 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,477 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted October 26, 2013 - 08:51 PM

Seals are generally cheap. I'd replace it, especially the one on the vertical shaft.  It's the only thing that keeps the grease in and the dirt out. 

If this where my gearbox all of the bearings and seals would get replaced while it was apart. That gearbox is close to 30 years old and probably never been apart before. It's not uncommon for a bearing to feel or sound good until a load is put on it. 

#8 blacksmith1 OFFLINE  

blacksmith1
  • 12 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 02:08 PM

You are right, no need to be penny wise and pound foolish. 

#9 Enginerod OFFLINE  

Enginerod

• Member No: 1748
  • 205 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted November 01, 2013 - 06:30 PM

The 44 inch deck on my G5200 always seemed loud to me but I checked the bearings and the gears and also changed the oil but it didnt change the noise at all. It seems to be noisiest when the engine is run at a slower speed and the quietest when the engine is at max speed. I think the deck shell acts as a speaker and magnifies the noise but over the years I have come to consider this normal. Just telling you this so you can avoid spending a bunch of money to correct something that is not a problem. LOL. For a note though, my JD 445 has a shaft driven deck that is much quieter though it may have a different type of gears in the gear box.

• Cvans said thank you

#10 blacksmith1 OFFLINE  

blacksmith1
  • 12 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted November 20, 2013 - 03:08 PM

I did do a rebuild with the exception of the U joints. Nothing changed. 

As I said it's not a failing system noise, just exactly what one would expect but very loud. 

The wife wanted to cut with the G3200 so I had a chance to observe the noise at a distance; the volume was less and the yard seemed to muffle the brute force of it. I guess setting astride the beast it the worst place to be while judging the racket. 

It cuts well and is a strong machine. 

I'm looking at a possible purchase of a DOA three cylinder Kubota that has come for sale and am interested in seeing if there is a difference in the deck's noise level. If I get it (and get it running) I will report.  I'd considered swapping the decks but read somewhere that the RC40 deck is almost too large for the two cylinder. I suspect the three cylinder has the RC44 or 48. 

#11 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,477 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted November 20, 2013 - 10:49 PM

I've got in my head that my two decks are 44 and 48 inches. The 44 worked fine but the 48 as a load for the G3200 in deeper grass. Keeping the blades good and sharp helps.

Glad you got yours running good.