24 replies to this topic

#16 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 08:03 PM

Well even though I got very little interest in this project the last go-round (ok, that's kind of an exaggeration...I actually got no interest lol) I figured I'd post up a video on some upgrades that I made to the plow wings in case anyone's interested.  After some serious use and abuse I'm pretty impressed with how they work but I found a couple of weak spots that needed upgrading so I goofed around a little bit today and fixed 'em up.

• MH81, Alc, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#17 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,582 Thanks
  • 3,962 posts

Posted January 12, 2014 - 12:12 AM

That is a neat design for the wings. I had missed this before. I like the idea of going from a narrower box style to a wider straight. Nice fab work. I need to do a bit of work to my snow plow and this might fit into that work real easy. Thanks for sharing.

#18 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,343 Thanks
  • 28,648 posts

Posted January 12, 2014 - 02:41 AM

I was watching, just didnt post last time. :D
I used a much lower tech approach, rubber wings... But they only lasted about a year before they needed re attached.

I like yours much better.

How much wider do those make the plow when wide open?

#19 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,526 Thanks
  • 39,746 posts

Posted January 12, 2014 - 06:00 AM

Neat wings! I like the adjustability of them!

#20 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted January 12, 2014 - 07:35 AM

Thanks guys!

...How much wider do those make the plow when wide open?

Wide open it adds about 25" as each wing is 12" plus a half inch or so on each side for the hinges.  Being 2 feet wider is a bit excessive so I don't use it that position often although it works perfect for a quick clean up of those inch or so dustings of snow; plus if I had made the wings shorter it would greatly lessen the effectiveness of them when in the "box" arrangement.  

Overall I'm pretty happy with them, if the improvements I made work as well as they seem like they will then I'll be in great shape :D  I have a few ideas of things I'd do differently if I ever build a new set but it's not important enough to rebuild these ones.  With 3 settings for each side (well 4 now that they can swing behind the plow) plus the angle settings of the plow itself the configuration options are nearly limitless...well, maybe not limitless but there's too many for my poor math skills this early in the morning :D

One of my goals was to avoid molesting the original blade too much in order to mount these, it had already been molested by the PO but I don't need to make it worse lol.  So, as it sits now I have two 1/4" holes in the end ribs on the back side, barely noticeable, easily welded closed.  The mount for the inside end of the front link is welded to the blade face which I didn't want to do but that's also easily ground off and smoothed back to stock. 

• MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#21 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted January 12, 2014 - 06:26 PM

I like what I see--good job.

Dick

• Walkinman1 said thank you

#22 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted February 02, 2014 - 10:03 AM

Anyone know of a reasonably close matching paint for the Sears blue? It doesn't have to be perfect but the blade needs some touch up and I'd like to paint the wings so they kinda match...

#23 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,343 Thanks
  • 28,648 posts

Posted February 02, 2014 - 10:19 AM

I remember 3 options (went and found them so I could get it right)
Honda BG11M Hampstead Green Metallic found on 1980-1981 Accords. (Not very wear or petrol resistant. Duplicolor cans available)
Pontiac blue-green engine enamel used on 60's Pontiacs (might be ale to find it in a spray)

Napa "jade mist" Napa#991-42187 with 20 grams of flattner added. (Mix, not rattle can)
<try this page for a probable sample of the color. 1st 2 swatches http://paintref.com/...color=Jade Mist>

Most end up being more green, take a paint chip to the store is how I do it if "close " is good enough.

Attached Thumbnails

• blue.JPG
  • Sears Best.JPG

#24 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted February 02, 2014 - 11:17 AM

Thanks Alan, that's not quite as simple as I was hoping for lol but I figured it would be a tricky color to match up. I've had enough trouble matching the blue on my Ford 120 and that seems really basic compared to the Sears color.

#25 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,343 Thanks
  • 28,648 posts

Posted February 02, 2014 - 11:30 AM

I wish it was simple.  The second pic is a screenshot of a manual that has been in my parents file cabinet since 1968.  Opened less than three times probably.  I did an online color swatch scan and got this 

The hexadecimal color code #559b9d is a shade of cyan. In the RGB color model #559b9d is comprised of 33.33% red, 60.78% green and 61.57% blue. In the HSL color space #559b9d has a hue of 181.67 degrees, 29.75% saturation and 47.45% lightness. This color has an approximate wavelength of 506 nm.

I would do a paint chip sample if you gotta nail it or the duplicolor and clearcoat over.  IMHO, that color needs more blue, but that's just me.  If I ever do one, it will be a color I like. LOL