4 replies to this topic

#1 farmerall OFFLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 09:35 PM

My brother has a Cub Cadet 104 that had engine problems with the original 10hp. So after he tried to fix it and couldn't find the problem he decided it was time to find another engine since he doesn't have the time to rebuild the original.

Here it is how he bought it.

cc104.jpg

After looking for a engine for awhile and finding the prices where pretty high I picked up this 129 as a parts machine. I got it running even though the compression release didn't work as we would find out later.

cc129.jpg

So we pulled the engine for the 104 and 129 and then put the 12hp into the 104. After everything was hooked up we found the compression release wasn't working which wouldn't let the engine spin fast enough to start. After about 3 months we got time to pull the engine again and took it inside to fix it. We got it disassembled and found that the rod and crank had a lot of scoring. The surprising thing was that this engine didn't knock at when I had it running. So now that engine is now sitting in pieces on my work bench.

photo (1).JPG

So now it has been over a year since we last drove this tractor and now close to six months since we puled the second engine. Just haven't had time to work on it. Here is how it sits today.

bolens.JPG

Now the current plan is to pull the engine out of my 147 since we know that the engine is good and the 147 needs more work than I want to do to it. Then after the engine is in we will add a rear lift so I can use an attachment that I have been waiting too long to get a chance to play with lol.

The 147 donor

cc147.jpg

what this whole project it for, to use this

$(KGrHqN,!lkFBshCjNkEBQe3J0BTuQ~~60_57.jpg

I will update this as we work on it.

• CRFarnsworth, boyscout862, Dieselcubmike and 1 other said thanks

#2 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 11:47 PM

Looks like you guys have been busy busy.

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,767 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 07:42 AM

Nice Earthcavator. I have several half assembled engines in my shop too. It is just one of the things that happens when you are working on old iron with a limited budget(time and money). Rebuilding a Kohler will cost you about $150 for a kit but a good Kohler is worth it. I think you need to get 2 Cubs done then the Bolens should get resurrected. Good Luck, Rick
  • JRJ said thank you

#4 farmerall OFFLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 11:55 AM

Looks like you guys have been busy busy.

We have been busy with other stuff. This two cub cadets haven't been touched since at least june. The 104 has been in the same spot under the tarp since January I think and the 147 has been sitting in the shed accumulating junk on it.

I think you need to get 2 Cubs done then the Bolens should get resurrected.

Which Bolens? lol

#5 farmerall OFFLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 09:17 PM

Just a quick update. We pulled the engine out of the 147 over the weekend and took it inside. The next step will be to pull the flywheel and bearing plate off of the 14hp engine and replace them with a flywheel and bearing plate from a 12hp engine.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0734.JPG
  • IMG_0737.JPG