• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted November 07, 2013 - 10:27 AM

Here is the Service manual which shows the wiring Diagram http://gardentractor...anual-552875-1/

Another thing you may want to try before you remove the kill wire is to see if you get spark with the points cover off. If you do something is hitting the cover and grounding out.

• MyBolens1053 said thank you

#32 NyRedNeck OFFLINE  

NyRedNeck

• Member No: 6598
  • 84 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted November 19, 2013 - 11:19 AM

I got to spend just a few minutes with the 1050 this past weekend.  I could not get anything more than a click from the solenoid.  Is it possible the solenoid is bad and can i get another at Napa?  

#33 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,172 Thanks
  • 2,143 posts

Posted November 19, 2013 - 03:14 PM

I got to spend just a few minutes with the 1050 this past weekend.  I could not get anything more than a click from the solenoid.  Is it possible the solenoid is bad and can i get another at Napa?  

If the solenoid clicks, your problem is most likely elsewhere, such as the starter or battery.  

There is a possibility that the contacts inside the solenoid are bad, but usually when the solenoids go bad, they won't "click."

• Bolens 1000 and NyRedNeck have said thanks

#34 NyRedNeck OFFLINE  

NyRedNeck

• 84 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted November 19, 2013 - 03:59 PM

If the solenoid clicks, your problem is most likely elsewhere, such as the starter or battery.  

There is a possibility that the contacts inside the solenoid are bad, but usually when the solenoids go bad, they won't "click."

Thanks Bruce.  I am questioning the starter\Gen.  When i first got her, it would not spin over.  I thought the engine was seized.  I pulled the belt off and turned the engine over by hand. I then tried the starter gen.  It would not turn at first by hand.  I grabbed a vice grip and it did allow me to turn it. Maybe it was a little stuck from sitting. Did not seem completely seized or frozen.
After that i connected a battery charger to the battery with the jump start option. She turned over but it was very slow.  But it did spin over enough for me to see i was not getting spark to the plug or points.  
The battery is dead but it should of spun fast with the start feature.
This past weekend I charged the battery for an hour and then used the jump feature again.  But she would not spin over.  I can spin the flywheel and starter gen by hand while turning the key but it just does not seem like it is getting enough juice to spin as it should. It did want to spin over, every once in a while you can see it turn a half inch.

Hope that makes sense..

#35 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • Member No: 49650
  • 442 Thanks
  • 252 posts

Posted November 19, 2013 - 09:50 PM

I too would have good look at your Starter genarator.  I recently bought a 1050 and thought the engine was seized.  The problem was the generator it was full of water and rusted solid.  I used a rope on the drive pulley on the engine and my motor started in 4 or 5 pulls.   Squirt a little gas into your carb to be certain you have fuel and it should fire a little. If your generator is good with out the belt it should spin fast even with a weak battery and on your booster.

These engines usually start very easy.  "Usually" being the key word.  LOL  Good Luck.

• NyRedNeck and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#36 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted November 19, 2013 - 09:57 PM

These Starter Generators required quite a bit of maintenance and care to keep them running properly.

Dead or Dying batterys will kill them as they are only designed to maintain a charge, not constantly charge a drained battery.

If they are left in the elements they pick up water and will rust the insides.

• NyRedNeck and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#37 cityboy2977 OFFLINE  

cityboy2977

ordinary average guy

• Member No: 6650
  • 117 Thanks
  • 179 posts

Posted November 19, 2013 - 11:10 PM

i just went through this today....same thing. even 50 amps wouldnt turn the motor fast enough to start.

i hooked  a deep cycle battery AND a charger up. push in the clutch pedal and try.

the starter feature on a charger is sometimes not enough amps.

#38 NyRedNeck OFFLINE  

NyRedNeck

• 84 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted November 20, 2013 - 02:34 PM

Thanks, for the help guys.

I may have another starter Gen from a Jacobsen.  Are they all the same? If the pulleys are the same can i use it from another machine?  I think the cub cadets spin the opposite way? Not sure if they are all different.

#39 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • Member No: 49650
  • 442 Thanks
  • 252 posts

Posted November 20, 2013 - 08:51 PM

Thanks, for the help guys.

I may have another starter Gen from a Jacobsen.  Are they all the same? If the pulleys are the same can i use it from another machine?  I think the cub cadets spin the opposite way? Not sure if they are all different.

No they are not always the same. I see you found out what I discovered when I tried a Cub Cadet generator on my Bolen.  Only took me ten minutes to discover why my tractor wouldn't start.  It wasn't getting enough gas through the muffler. :D

Edited by Alberta Bolens, November 20, 2013 - 08:54 PM.

#40 gbrown OFFLINE  

gbrown

• Member No: 8021
  • 20 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 03:10 PM

These Starter Generators required quite a bit of maintenance and care to keep them running properly.

Dead or Dying batterys will kill them as they are only designed to maintain a charge, not constantly charge a drained battery.

If they are left in the elements they pick up water and will rust the insides.

I'm also having trouble getting my 1050 to start after it's sat most of the summer (no mower deck). Initially, I thought that my battery was weak and not providing enough amps to turn the motor over. After fiddling with turning it over by hand while holding the start button (not recommended), I determined that the starter wasn't spinning every time I hit the button. I loosened the belt and verified this. I have power through the solenoid and into the starter, but it only turns randomly. Is there something I can service on this Delco-Remy starter generator? 

#41 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 05:43 PM

I'm also having trouble getting my 1050 to start after it's sat most of the summer (no mower deck). Initially, I thought that my battery was weak and not providing enough amps to turn the motor over. After fiddling with turning it over by hand while holding the start button (not recommended), I determined that the starter wasn't spinning every time I hit the button. I loosened the belt and verified this. I have power through the solenoid and into the starter, but it only turns randomly. Is there something I can service on this Delco-Remy starter generator? 

May want to open her up and look at the brushes. They may be worn or it just may need a good cleaning.

Are you using a good battery, these Starters will not last long if using a weak battery or jump starting them.

#42 JimD OFFLINE  

JimD

• Member No: 385
  • 680 Thanks
  • 482 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 05:23 AM

I tried to link you to the manuals but the site says it can't find the links. You can find them here...

http://www.tractorda...olens-1050.html

Edited by WHFan, January 06, 2014 - 05:28 AM.