12 replies to this topic

#1 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 11, 2010 - 06:31 PM

Anybody else have this problem? Mrs. Rev is pretty hard to buy for at Christmas. Worse yet, she never tells me what she wants until just before the big day, so I end up being a last-minute shopper and they're usually out of whatever she wants by then.

I already got her a pink John Deere hat (last year), so she doesn't need one of those; and she was pretty emphatic about not wanting her own set of pliers when I suggested it (she also didn't get any better at putting my tools back after she borrows them either), so I'm about out of ideas.

Anybody have any suggestions?

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,635 posts

Posted December 11, 2010 - 06:35 PM

If you have videos of the kids, have them x-ferred onto DVD & cleaned up Best possible video edit-wise.

You could also give her a certificate from a photographer for a family portrait.

Wait a minute, I've got it!!!

Put a bow on the new foundation...

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 11, 2010 - 06:44 PM

Same problem here Rev. We just get one small gift for each other, and I'm thinking perfume, as she always looks at the good stuff, but won't pay that much for a little bottle.

#4 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 11, 2010 - 06:51 PM

We have no kids. We saw how my nephews and nieces all took after their fathers, considered my checkered past and questionable instincts, and invested heavily in birth control. It was the right thing to do.

I like the foundation idea though.

#5 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted December 11, 2010 - 07:10 PM

I usually just tie the bow on a strategic part of my body.......lol..........Too much info?

My little woman told me she wanted a new vacuum........I'm not falling into that trap.....again

#6 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 11, 2010 - 07:53 PM

Same problem here Rev. We just get one small gift for each other, and I'm thinking perfume, as she always looks at the good stuff, but won't pay that much for a little bottle.

She doesn't wear perfume or jewelry much. She also doesn't dress up much. We're pretty much redneck/hippie/weirdo types. That's part of the problem...the traditional gifts are out. The other part of the problem is that we tend to buy decent stuff so she doesn't need gardening tools, new camera gear, etc.. We've got two dogs and four cats, and she doesn't like goats, so getting her a pet is out.

Maybe I'll get her a vacuum so Poncho doesn't feel lonely.

#7 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 11, 2010 - 08:24 PM

My wife always get exactly what she wants (if we can afford it that is) because I let her get it herself LOL! She and I have only rarely exchanged gifts on Christmas day and then only small things. We have an understanding that when we need or want something, we just go and get it (there again, if we can afford it). We have an unusual (but very solid) relationship. This year she got a new laptop and a wireless router. ( because her husbands use of the computer increased dramatically when he joined an online forum dedicated to garden tractors LOL). My wife does appreciate it when I make something for her, maybe you could try that approach?

#8 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 12, 2010 - 12:03 PM

Mrs. Rev likes to have that whole Christmas deal with all the decorating and present unwrapping thing. She even wraps up stuff for the dogs and cats, although it's same stuff they get the rest of the year and they don't care about the fancy paper. If it was up to me, I wouldn't even have a tree. Mrs. Rev has a big tree for the living room, a small one for the dining room/office, and a little one that sits on the toilet tank. Yes, it's a "ToiletTree". We all make concessions though, and she generally makes a lot more than I do.

#9 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted December 12, 2010 - 12:58 PM

My wife doesnt ask for much throughout the year and when she goes shopping its usually for the kids, so when christmas rolls around I try to get the things she doesnt get for herself. It may sound korny but I always get her a few good bras, not the walmart deals but the upperend. She has fallen in love with one type but they cost about $50 each so she doesnt buy them for herself. Another is good sleep wear, she likes sleeves gowns but the good ones are ususally over $45 so I get her 1-2 of those. I also check out whats on her amazon wish list and buy a few things from there without her noticing it.

#10 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 12, 2010 - 01:28 PM

Ah, I've achieved solution. I was talking to the ma in-law and my wife really wants a gardening tool kit she saw at Lee Valley but didn't want to ask for because the ones she has still work. See, when I said she doesn't need gardening tools I was right. Just because she doesn't need them doesn't mean that she doesn't want them though.

Hmmm...Lee Valley. Gonna be a pricey Christmas.

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 12, 2010 - 02:43 PM

Ah, I've achieved solution. I was talking to the ma in-law and my wife really wants a gardening tool kit she saw at Lee Valley but didn't want to ask for because the ones she has still work. See, when I said she doesn't need gardening tools I was right. Just because she doesn't need them doesn't mean that she doesn't want them though.

Hmmm...Lee Valley. Gonna be a pricey Christmas.

I had actually thought about a garden tool set for my wife, but didn't know if I could find any out of season. I'm gonna take a look at the stores! Thanks Rev!

#12 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted December 12, 2010 - 04:09 PM

We are getting to the same point.I usealy get her someting that sparkles but after last year that's out.Don't need her and the kids laughing after she opens it up and points to here ears again.We pretty much get what we want and can afford through the year so realy don't want anything.Anyway what she wants wont be out until after the first of the year she can get it then.

#13 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted December 12, 2010 - 05:54 PM

I'm going with the boring, safe gift certificate to her FAVORITE clothing shop for the bigger one and some small stuff to open.
The big one for the entire family this year was the new wood stove at the in-laws that she and I and bought I had so much "fun" putting in.
P.