• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted October 31, 2013 - 01:04 PM

Glad ya got him Marty!   :thumbs:   Hope that's the only one doing the killing.  As to the little critters & feed, we have mice down in the calf feed room, but only now & then they bother the sacks of feed.  When they do, then it's bait blocks for them.  After a few days, that problem is gone.  Rats are our problem.  Never had many rats till the neighbors moved in 20+ years ago.  Their barns are piled with stuff, and we would actually see the rats crossing the road to dig into our silage, then run back.   Now they just stay over here.  I buy high potency rat bait blocks by the bucket.  In the last month, we've had an influx of them, but not for long.  They're eating up the bait like no tomorrow.  The good stuff does the job on them.  I do switch poison type every time I have to buy more so they don't develop a tolerance.   I put out 20 more bait blocks today.  The 10 that I placed yesterday were gone.  Gonna be a lot of dead rats in holes by tomorrow or the next day.  D-con in my opinion is useless.  People have been using that formula for years, and I think a lot of varmints get immune to it.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#32 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,410 Thanks
  • 3,162 posts

Posted October 31, 2013 - 01:16 PM

If the rats eat dog or cat food the poison is useless , as they carry the imunity to rat poisons in them. So keep the dog and cat food out of reach !!

#33 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted October 31, 2013 - 02:13 PM

I buy the sutff at Tractor supply, usally the green blocks or pellets, seems to do the job. It was either last spring or fall, I caught 13, I think, mice in traps not to mention the bait that got eaten. I hate them cause they always seem to chew through the bottom bag of feed and of course it spills out, etc. I keep my open feed in plastic/steel bins, but it's all the bags I have stacked they tear up.

My dad used to get an old brand called "Ferret" he used on rats in our barn. Took a few days for them to eat it, but once they did, bam, all were gone. Best part is  they would drag it down into holes for the rest to feed on.

#34 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted October 31, 2013 - 03:44 PM

One key thing with bagged feed, stack only single stacks.  Don't have bags side by side.  Keep stacks a few inches apart.  I keep open feed for the calves in garbage cans with lids.  Just check the active ingredient in your bait, and try to switch to a different type now & then.

• EricR and oldedeeres have said thanks

#35 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,865 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted November 01, 2013 - 12:21 AM

We use garbage cans with lids as well, and can keep 8 bags of feed in them, but we don't have much stock anymore, just 50 mixed laying hens, two guineas and two geese. The oats are in grain bins, 800 bushels size, and the cats take care of the mice out there. Fortunately no rats. But the bushy tailed tree rats (squirrels) are a pain and chew holes through the wooden sides of the bin. I keep a 1/2 pail of water in the hen house and the mice drown in that quite regularly all summer long. Sure hate to use poison, but Daniel is right, you are best to switch it around so it stays effective.

#36 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted November 01, 2013 - 08:58 AM

I only have 2 stacks, usually 5 bags high at max. Bad part is, they have to be place almost up against the barn wall. Mice though seem to chew holes in the bottom bag right in the middle...they don't care :D

only having few animals, I just get smaller cans for open storage, maybe 25-30 gal and those only hold about 1 1/2, maybe 2 bags of feed.

Just have to get some more of that "special mice feed"  :smilewink:

#37 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted November 01, 2013 - 09:05 AM

We are running into a rat problem because of the dirty neighbors about 200 yards from the house, they are venturing out looking for food.  I'm suprised they run so far looking for something.  I shot 10 of the little sobs last night.  They were on my deck where I had forgotten to take in the styrofoam tray the steaks were on.  Along with the pumpkin innards we threw in the yard.

Edited by toomanytoys84, November 01, 2013 - 09:05 AM.

• boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#38 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,779 Thanks
  • 7,539 posts

Posted November 01, 2013 - 09:12 AM

I like the steel bucket, half full of water, some odor free soap added, and a resetting trigger to catch mice by the dozens. A good .22 will take anything including a coyote. A pellet gun can do it but a .22 is more reliable. I'm glad you got rid of your pest. Good Luck, Rick

#39 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,779 Thanks
  • 7,539 posts

Posted November 01, 2013 - 09:19 AM

We are running into a rat problem because of the dirty neighbors about 200 yards from the house, they are venturing out looking for food.  I'm suprised they run so far looking for something.  I shot 10 of the little sobs last night.  They were on my deck where I had forgotten to take in the styrofoam tray the steaks were on.  Along with the pumpkin innards we threw in the yard.

When I was 12 we were allowed to go to the town dump and shoot rats on Saturday afternoons. It was great fun and really helped my marksmanship. I remember walking down the road with the rifle over my shoulder and a cop stopping me. He checked that the bolt was open and the chamber was empty. He then asked "how many did you get?". It was a much better time to grow up and live.

Sometimes the bait is a good idea for drawing them out to shoot. Good Luck, Rick

• olcowhand and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#40 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted November 01, 2013 - 10:34 AM

When I was 12 we were allowed to go to the town dump and shoot rats on Saturday afternoons. It was great fun and really helped my marksmanship. I remember walking down the road with the rifle over my shoulder and a cop stopping me. He checked that the bolt was open and the chamber was empty. He then asked "how many did you get?". It was a much better time to grow up and live.

Sometimes the bait is a good idea for drawing them out to shoot. Good Luck, Rick

Not sure of your age, but we did that quit frequently in the late 80s early 90s.  Most fun a kid could have.

I shot these ones with a single shot Winchester 67 smooth bore with the little CCI Bird shot cartridges.  FUN FUN!  I was laughing my rear end off.  Wife and little girl were hiding in the house thinking I had lost my mind.

#41 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,779 Thanks
  • 7,539 posts

Posted November 01, 2013 - 10:51 AM

Not sure of your age, but we did that quit frequently in the late 80s early 90s.  Most fun a kid could have.

I shot these ones with a single shot Winchester 67 smooth bore with the little CCI Bird shot cartridges.  FUN FUN!  I was laughing my rear end off.  Wife and little girl were hiding in the house thinking I had lost my mind.

For me it was 50 years ago. We used snake shot some of the time but shorts were cheaper.

#42 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted November 01, 2013 - 01:40 PM

Rick, I can't shoot the rats in the silage pits as everything is concrete.  Might get myself from a ricochet!   I could use my pellet rifle.  The lead pellets should be safe enough around concrete.

#43 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted November 01, 2013 - 02:37 PM

Rick, I can't shoot the rats in the silage pits as everything is concrete.  Might get myself from a ricochet!   I could use my pellet rifle.  The lead pellets should be safe enough around concrete.

Find a smooth bore .22 and shoot those bird shot rounds.  I doubt that would have much chance of a ricochet.

#44 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted November 01, 2013 - 05:58 PM

How do you all with lots of livestock feed keep on them?

Several cats. And the wife moves the feeders occasion and lets the chickens eat the baby mice. Good protein.

#45 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted November 01, 2013 - 06:01 PM

The rat shot rounds wont ricochet too bad. Unless you are shooting at your feet straight down into the concrete.

• boyscout862 said thank you