LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,653 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 05:44 PM

Hey! You wanna' have some fun? You get a rod and reel, take off the hook and make a slip noose in the end of the line. Make a snare with it and just wait. I knew some guys that were using this outfit to catch ground squirrels.

• EricFromPa, boyscout862, twostep and 1 other said thanks

#17 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,730 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 07:54 PM

It may be your chickens eating the eggs. We had a chicken that wound up in the freezer for that. We also had a fox, a racoons, and a coyote that helped themselves to a chicken dinner. They are no longer available for comment on how it tasted. Neighbor got the fox, dogs got the coon, and the neighbor put donkeys in the longhorn pen and they got the coyotes.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#18 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,653 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 07:52 AM

Donkey vs. Coyote, that would be something to see.  I saw a mule who smelled a bear once. She became very angry.

#19 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,479 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 09:11 AM

Well, came home last night and find dead chicken up next to fence, looks like someting started to eat on it through the fence but quit before it got very far.

Now I am wondering if it is the oppossum. I can't figure out though what happened to my guinea, she disappeared during the day outside the pen and just a small pile of feathers. The guinea roo can be mean during feeding time, but I've never seen him outright attack another chicken any other time... I dunno at this point.

That's two dead chickens in a week inside the pen, guinea disappeared outside pen and eggs are getting eaten ( pretty sure that is possum)

I need to find a friend with trail cam and see what exactly is going on.

Edited by TAHOE, October 23, 2013 - 09:12 AM.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#20 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,730 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 09:20 AM

Mules will stomp a coyote or almost any other dog to death

#21 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,479 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 01:11 PM

We have coyotes around, we can hear them. Never seen any, but they sounds close sometimes. We've gotten lucky, other than the fox last year. I think they stay away from 2 or 3 -200# goats with big horns! :D

#22 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,223 Thanks
  • 5,069 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 03:04 PM

Its probably old mister mcdoggle operating a mechincal owl. At least thats whst years of scooby doo has taught me.
  • EricR and TAHOE have said thanks

#23 SupplySergeant OFFLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,079 Thanks
  • 655 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 03:44 PM

Eating through the fence really sounds like a raccoon to me. They will grab a chickens head and eat just what they can reach. Since that isn't enough for them, they'll usually kill several in a night that way.

#24 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,479 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 09:21 AM

Welp, lost another Chiken Saturday morning and I didn;t collect eggs Friday night, it was late....they were all eaten too. I could see where chicken put up a fight and was dragged over by fence.  I set up a live baited trap, but since it is only occuring every 3-4 days, guess it maybe tonight or tomorrow for another strike. What ever it is has to be climbing fence and then back out as there is no holes under fence and most of it is pretty tight as it is all chain link panels.

Guess we will see in next few days. Whatever it maybe will get some led poisoning!

• Texas Deere and Horse and oldedeeres have said thanks

#25 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 09:29 AM

Sorry you haven't got this stopped yet, it must be something pretty big to be able to climb the fence with a whole chicken.

• oldedeeres and TAHOE have said thanks

#26 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,479 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 09:55 AM

Brian, it's not taking the chickens, killing them inside, eating a little of the chicken, then disappearing. It looks as if it drags them over to the edge of the fence, but then cannot get it out. If what others have said about oppossums....that is my bet right now especially since the eggs are being eaten and I already caught a possum in there once eaten chicken feed.

My sister saw a big raccoon near the yard yesterday, could be that too.

#27 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,835 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 05:34 PM

I didn't think of it before, but maybe a weasel---- they're blood-thirsty little characters too and quite capable of killing and dragging a hen. They'll eat the head and lap up as much blood as possible, and kill more than they can eat at a time as well.

#28 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,479 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted October 31, 2013 - 11:31 AM

Trapped and disposed of a possum yesterday, hopefully this will end my chicken killings.

Oh, trapped two mice that are getting into chicken feed, little boogers were digging tunnels between feed, water and outside.

How do you all with lots of livestock feed keep on them? I use traps and poison, but dang, never seem to keep up. Started putting peppermint oil soaked cotton balls around to try to scae them away, barn smells really good!

Stupid Guinea rooster spooked me this morning, I go to open chicken coop and he's roosting on roof right above it, thought I was had!

Need to find me a couple more hens for him.

• Texas Deere and Horse and oldedeeres have said thanks

#29 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted October 31, 2013 - 11:53 AM

I lost a chicken 2 years ago to a Kyote, dang critter ate right through the side of the coop!! Well he didn't live too long after , nieghbor plugged him! Then I had 2 of it's siblings come lookin' for some grubb too!!! Well I will tell you this! A 44 magnum fired from a 20" barrel is down right messy !!

#30 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,479 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted October 31, 2013 - 11:57 AM

I lost a chicken 2 years ago to a Kyote, dang critter ate right through the side of the coop!! Well he didn't live too long after , nieghbor plugged him! Then I had 2 of it's siblings come lookin' for some grubb too!!! Well I will tell you this! A 44 magnum fired from a 20" barrel is down right messy !!

Soudns like a mess to clean up!  LOL

I lived trapped him then my son popped him once in in the top of the head with a .177 pellet from the air rifle. Hit them in right spot, only take one shot. He didn't thnk I could do it with 1 shot to the ground hog I killed in the spring! Showed him! :thumbs: