• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 kiddpitt OFFLINE  

kiddpitt

• Member No: 3444
  • 27 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted October 25, 2013 - 05:56 AM

Wow! It would dissolve it in10 minutes for me.   You must have some mutant carbon.

I must, I spent more time on it and made more progress, but some of it is still thick & hard as a rock.  It makes me think this is 40 year old carbon.

If the head bolts/studs were ever over torqued and stretched in the past, they should be replaced out of hand. Once they get stretched, they won't hold a torque, they just stretch more.

If the head is warped, then I think the bolts would have overheated too and they'd definitely need replaced. 

Edited by kiddpitt, October 25, 2013 - 06:07 AM.

• Alc said thank you

#32 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,668 Thanks
  • 7,686 posts

Posted October 25, 2013 - 07:01 AM

You know, it's possible the head bolts are loose because some previous own just tightened them by hand with a box end wrench and no one has ever checked them.

That amount of carbon tells me that some folks aren't following the instructions that suggest the head be removed and cleaned periodically.

Edited by LilysDad, October 25, 2013 - 07:04 AM.

• kiddpitt said thank you

#33 kiddpitt OFFLINE  

kiddpitt

• 27 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted October 25, 2013 - 07:49 AM

That amount of carbon tells me that some folks aren't following the instructions that suggest the head be removed and cleaned periodically.

I agree and I'll admit I should have done this maintenance when I 1st bought the tractor.  I don't know it would have made this any easier, but at least it would have been preventative maintenance at that time.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#34 kiddpitt OFFLINE  

kiddpitt

• 27 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 11:25 AM

I made good progress this weekend and put everything back together.  It took me about 40 minutes to flatten the head.    

IMG_9404.JPG   

Here's the block, piston, & valves.  This isn't the finished product, but I was too dirty and on a roll the day I finished to stop for pictures. 

IMG_9402.JPG

I did 4 or 5 good warmup/cool down/retorque sequences, no oil & no loose nuts or bolts.  But, no experimenting with a cover crop this year either.

On a side note, this motivated me to get my 145 running.  I had issues with it, posted here:  http://gardentractor...ission-problem/

I put it away and haven't done anything to try to solve the problem.  I did do more research and found a Bolens manual that shows an external charge relief on the transmission.  So, look for that thread to be updated soon!        

Edited by kiddpitt, October 28, 2013 - 06:55 PM.