• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#61 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted November 15, 2013 - 10:20 AM

Glad to hear the good news, looking forward to your rebuild. Have you researched those drop hitches to see if they were other known problems?

#62 Jlaws OFFLINE  

Jlaws
  • Member No: 31172
  • 542 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted November 15, 2013 - 12:17 PM

Jim ,

No I haven't done any checking on the manufacturer of that hitch . As I said before I'm not sure who made it or even where I purchased it . I'd had it for 5 or 6 years and it had made quite a few long trips before it broke . Between work and my wifes illness , I've had little free time to do any detective work . Truthfully I'd rather just put the whole bad experience behind me , since I was the only one who was damaged by the whole experience . I posted my bad luck so others might not have to go thru the same experience I did . If somebody had been injured or other vehicles were involved , then you better believe I would have gotten to the bottom of who made this hitch and made some very angry phone calls with threats of getting a lawyer , lawsuits ,etc . 

I'm truthfully a person that doesn't have much use for lawyers , and a firm believer that your responsible for your own actions .

It seem that theres a lot of ambulance chasers out there .

I have since learned that within 5 days after my accident that my friend who's name and address was entered into the police accident report has received 3 letters from 3 different lawyers to go after my car insurance  company , even though neither of us were injured . They laughed about it when they told me , but truthfully I didn't find it very funny .

Sorry about the rant .

Anyways ,the guy that welded my 990 grill and is a professional welder looked at my broken hitch and said after looking at the weld that it may have been cracked for a while before it broke . He also said that the Chinese need to learn  how to weld....LOL

He stated that the bead wasn't heavy enough and that there was very little penetration into the metal on  the weld .

I do the usual things before leaving on a trip . I check truck and trailer tire pressures as well as the spare tires , electric brakes , and lights on my trailer .

I guess I'll have to add checking the hitch and receiver on my list before leaving on a trip from now on .

And I'm going to add a breakaway kit to the trailer , that I didn't think I'd ever need .

Live and learn .

Edited by Jlaws, November 15, 2013 - 12:25 PM.

• hamman and Sawdust have said thanks

#63 Jlaws OFFLINE  

Jlaws
  • 542 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted October 03, 2014 - 10:44 PM

Well I've finally started replacing some of the damage parts today , I had started the tear down last winter , but hadn't had much time to work on it till today .

I really like this 990 , but really needed to get away from it for a while after the trailer accident .

Its a lot easier to repair this time as everything last time was rusted , and everything that's coming off it this time was removed during last years restore  ..

So far I've replaced the broken carb , had the grill welded last fall ( still waiting on prep work and paint ). The hood and dash need work also .

Today I pulled out the transaxle to replace the broken axle housing .

I also straightened a slightly tweaked frame , using a combination of bar clamps , welding clamps , 1/2 threaded rod , and some very heavy bar stock to stabilize everything while I was straightening the rear half of the frame .

It turned out pretty straight and was actually easier than I anticipated .

I then touched up the paint on the rearend and reinstalled it today .

Tomorrow I'm going to try and get it running to verify that there isn't anything wrong with the hydro pump , rearend or drive shaft .

This does give me a chance to redo things that didn't turn out quite as nice as I wanted the first time around , like repainting the rear fenders as I didn't like the way they turn out the first time .  

Its getting a 2nd   3rd chance .

More pictures in the future as it goes back together .

Attached Thumbnails

• 990 axle 002.JPG
  • 990 axle 001.JPG
  • 990 axle 003.JPG

• DougT, MH81, hamman and 2 others have said thanks

#64 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,679 Thanks
  • 8,882 posts

Posted October 04, 2014 - 01:09 AM

Keep a close eye and ear on that driveshaft when you fire it up.

Hope it turns out for you, good to see it getting another chance.

• Jlaws said thank you

#65 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,345 Thanks
  • 39,627 posts

Posted October 04, 2014 - 04:52 AM

Glad to see this one getting fixed again! I'll be lurking along!

• Jlaws said thank you

#66 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted October 04, 2014 - 07:46 AM

Glad to see it coming together.
I would never presume to name another guys toys, but might I be so bold as to suggest Phoenix?

#67 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted October 04, 2014 - 08:45 PM

Glad to see it coming together again Jess.  Have been wondering when you would get it back together.  Will be following this build as it goes.

• Jlaws said thank you

#68 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted October 04, 2014 - 09:07 PM

Good to see you back Jess, glad things are much better for you. I think you made us all happy when you decided to get your GT back together. I just started putting my 990 back together today. I will definitely be watching your progress. :thumbs:

• Jlaws said thank you

#69 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted October 07, 2014 - 07:48 PM

Remember I've got a rolling 990 chassis if you need anything.
  • Jlaws and Sawdust have said thanks

#70 Jlaws OFFLINE  

Jlaws
  • 542 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 12:21 PM

I'm sorry I didn't get more pictures of me putting her back together , but I'm trying to meet a deadline .

The 990's  back together , it still has some minor issues that need addressed , but it will have to wait till after plowday .

I've driven her around and everything in the drivetrain appears OK .

I'm getting ready to load her up on the trailer to make Ohio PD this weekend , ( same plowday I went to last year when my mishap happened ) . Hopefully it will go better this year .

One of my issues is that the S/G will probably need rebuilt , its sluggish when trying to start and isn't charging right now .

I've tried a couple of different voltage regulators and exciting the S/G , but it still isn't charging .

I'll get into it more thoroughly when I get back .

I straightened the hood the best I could , but it was creased in a couple of spots really bad , and should be replaced . 

I need to do some plastic repair around the edges of the dash panel .

I also need to cut some anti-slip pads or maybe diamond plate for the foot rests  as they're pretty slick if your shoes are wet right now .  

David , I may contact you about some parts when I get back .

Attached Thumbnails

• 990 with plow 001.JPG

Edited by Jlaws, October 10, 2014 - 12:23 PM.

• DH1, MH81, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#71 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 01:05 PM

Looks real good Jess. I also intend on putting diamond plates on the foot rest area. I think the aluminum would look good. Have a blessed trip & take some pics for us.
  • Jlaws said thank you

#72 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 03:10 PM

Looks pretty darn good for what it went though Jess.  Be hard pressed to tell it looked the way it did before.  VERY NICE JOB!

• Jlaws said thank you

#73 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 05:38 PM

Glad to see you back in the 990 saddle Jess!  Hard to believe it's already been a year since the trailer crash!

• Jlaws said thank you

#74 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,728 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 06:10 PM

tractor looks great. Now lets make it the last time you put it back together.

#75 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 06:58 PM

Wow, almost like it never happened.
Please have a safe and enjoyable trip.

I never asked or forgot if ou said, but What brand hitch did you end up going with?
  • Jlaws said thank you