#31 twostep ONLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 01:53 PM

So first, thing is the welds on that hitch but also what happened with your safety chains??? Did your break-a-way box work and engage the brakes?

I think I may re-weld both my hitches now!

Yeah, I am going to at least check mine!! I've got one of these types and I will check out the welds/bolts AND the hitch reciever's mount to the truck!!

ab10.jpg

I'm going to share those pictures of that hitch on my 4wheeling forum too.

#32 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 01:56 PM

My father was a USCG Chief 70 years ago. He taught me "nobody dies on my watch". It means to do anything you can to prevent anothers death. As an Army Officer and a Civil Engineer I have taken this very seriously. You may have to be a pain in the neck to TSC. Alot of the foreign made stuff isn't up to our safety standards. They have caused many deaths and injuries. Our companies are often to lazy and cheap to do proper quality assurance. I've seen it many times in construction. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, October 22, 2013 - 01:58 PM.

• Texas Deere and Horse and Sawdust have said thanks

#33 Talntedmrgreen ONLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 03:05 PM

The tractor work looks great, and I'll bet you needed to clean your britches after that scare.

I don't use 5000# hitch equipment for that reason.  I just don't trust it's heavy enough.  My 16x7 landscape trailer weighs a smidge over 1500# (and yours look much beefier than mine), and I can get 4 GT's on it, with a few attachments for probably another 4000+# (tool box, ramps, weights, fuilds, etc all add up).  My 2 5/16" ball is 8500# rated, and my ball mount is 8000# rated.  I also replace my safety chains with ridiculously heavy sets, with safety latches. 

All that being said, I dropped my trailer this past Friday nite with my family in the truck.  I make it a point to always do my own tiedowns, hitching, etc, but when picking up my trailer from my father, who had borrowed it, he hitched it to my truck while I ate dinner with my ma.  I looked everything over, but never noticed he used HIS ball mount, which had a 2" ball on it.  Whoops.  It was a real bear to fish the trailer out from under my truck and re-hitch, in the dark, in the middle of my lane, but damage was minimal (to the equipment, that is...)  The chains saved me a lot of greif.

• Alc, boyscout862 and twostep have said thanks

#34 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 03:39 PM

Jess that is just sickening!  Nobody was hurt which is most important, machinery can be repaired again, people can't.  It's good the police were cordial towards you as well, that could have been bad in itself.  You did an AMAZING job on that MTD.  I gotta tell you I am no fan of MTD but that tractor is one I would be proud of in my collection.  Don't beat yourself up about what happened as it wasn't your fault.  Take the time away from it to cool off a little bit and then come back at it again and make it even better than it was the first time.

As far as the hitch is concerened that is just downright poor quality control.  Who made the thing anyway?  Shoud go back on the manufacturer and not the retailer.  Having worked for TSC for 7 years and having been gone from there for 7 more I rarely go in to their store.  I would rather pay more somewhere else for better quality personally.  I would bet a case would be hard to prove against the manufacturer.  They will just deny it was manufacturer defect and say you overloaded it at some point weakening it before it failed.  I hope you can get some compensation out of it either way.  I agree with George, I am not an "ambulance chaser" but this is a valid issue you have.

Good luck with it and if you do decide to part with it, give one of us guys a chance first.  Many here that would love to own it and I just bet you could get more out of it than you might think.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#35 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 04:57 PM

Measuring the welds and deterrmining their quality is pretty easy for a lab. The length of the weld times its strength per inch will tell if it was adequate. Chances are it was cold or the wrong type of rod which can make the weld brittle. Good Luck, Rick

• Leonard VanCamp said thank you

#36 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 05:41 PM

Sorry to hear of this, something like that could of happened to anyone of us.

The tractors can be fixed, you found 1 rusty 990 that you fixed up, find another and make the beat of the 2.

Yours looked real nice especially the rear tires.

That hitch, no where near enough heat, amps used when they welded it.

• boyscout862 and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#37 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 07:12 PM

Sorry to see this happen. I agree about stepping back for a bit, let it settle and then look it over and decide which way to go. You did a great job restoring the 990.  If you do it again you can duplicate or improve on it.

Geno

#38 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 07:39 PM

I hate to see all the pictures.  I know your heart was sore when you got out of the truck to see what was left.  I know I would be.

Good luck as you get the pieces put back together.  I know you'll make a great call on the tractors.

Furthermore, my unlegal legal advice is go get 'em!  That was faulty construction.

Who knows, they might fix you up enough to make that MTD twice as good as new!

Ben W.

• boyscout862 and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#39 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,767 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 08:28 PM

Hate to hear about this. Glad no one was hurt.

#40 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 10:58 PM

Just to add being thankful your able to tell us what happened instead of hearing something fatal from your family. I had a boat break away on a 1976 Chevy Blazer with a 6" lift & monster tires. I had a hitch drop custom made that failed. I always crossed my safety chains under the tongue creating a cradle to hold the tongue when break away happens. This also prevents tongue from hitting the ground. I know this wouldn't have helped you but I think most safety chains need more attention also.

#41 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 05:30 AM

I know this wouldn't have helped you but I think most safety chains need more attention also.

Good point , the plastic coated cable safety chains that where on the Load-Rite trailer I bought used looked a little rusty as I was removing them one broke right at the rust ! They wouldn't have helped much if needed , went with new chain and this type of connector

Attached Thumbnails

• 7352.jpg

#42 twostep ONLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 09:42 AM

Not to get off topic but I don't think those quick links are pull rated (unless you got some specially rated ones). This is what I'm going with when I referb my trailer this winter:

clevislsafetyhooks.jpg

Back on topic, Jlaws, I've got a grille frame with your name on it for that 982. We need to meet up soon.

Edited by twostep, October 23, 2013 - 10:10 AM.

• Alc and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#43 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 12:22 PM

I don't know what the rating is , I thought you would just use the chain size ?  Got them in the trailer parts section ( not from this site )

http://www.iboats.co...-view_id.215614

Edited by Alc, October 23, 2013 - 12:23 PM.

#44 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 06:59 PM

Cant recall posting, but have been following. Sucks for a trailer to leave you. I have had it happen to me once while moving, and once while loading. The moving one i was lucky, i was on a back road going about 15 mph when the trailer came off the ball. The other time i was loading the trailer when it came off the ball. Both times i had forgotten to lock the hitch to the ball.

My towing stuff is all load rated, and i know how much everything weighs to the nearest 100 pounds. And my trailer is 6x10 and has 3500 pound axle under it, and i only load less than 2000 pounds on the 800 pound trailer. The ball mount i tow it with it rated for 7500 pounds tow, 750 tongue weight. Oh and the ball, that is a 2 inch rated for 6000 pounds. And the trailer connector on the trailer itself is rated for 5000. Anyone see a common Mindset with me. I dont trust the manufacturers to get every weld perfect, and trust myself even less. So i try to buy load rated products that well exceed my expectations. The only thing i skimp on... Is the chains. I hook them up, and i expect they would work at speeds under 25 mph, but at 50 plus, i suspect they would fail. And honestly, i do not want to be hooked to a trailer in a different path than the truck. Can you imagine getting the back of your truck brought around on you at 50 plus mph? I cant imagine it would end well.
  • Bruce Gray said thank you

#45 Jlaws OFFLINE  

Jlaws
  • Member No: 31172
  • 543 Thanks
  • 366 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 09:23 PM

Twostep , I appreciate the offer but I have an extra grill surround for the 982 , Thanks anyway .

I've also got all the parts to fix the Original . In fact I changed out the front axle and bent and broken steering linkages while it was still on the trailer before I actually drove it into the garage so I can fix some of its other issues .

wvbuzzmaster , My chains are pretty large , but my hooks were probably under rated for the trailer ( they were forged and they both broke ) . I'm with you on losing a trailer at higher speeds , while it just a guess on my part , I'm not sure at Interstate speed that I wanted that trailer pulling my truck in another direction when the hitch failed .
Especially in my circumstance where I was in the process of changing lanes .

The MTD is still on the trailer , I'm going to have to use the rear lift on my 982 to pick up the rear of the MTD because of the broken rearend . Probably get to it tomorrow .

I'll make a decision on the MTD's fate when I get it in the garage and can really look at it , but looking at it on the trailer it looks like the frame may be bent .

I took some pictures of the damage , If I can find a left axle tube , grill , carb elbow and the frames not bent , I'll probably repair it . The rest of the damage to the hood and the dash I think I can fix .

On another subject , I've had several people look at that hitch and everybody that's looked at it said the welds were garbage and I ought to talk to the manufacturer about damages .

The problem is I purchased the hitch about 6 or 7 years ago and I'm not sure who made it or even where I purchased it from , although I'm pretty sure it was TSC .

I looked at the only label that's still on it and if you look at the last picture below you'll see where it was made .
I guess I should have stayed with Made In The USA .
My other hitch which is made by Reese which I thought was Made in the USA , but after looking at the fine print , its also made in China , but its welds on it look a lot larger .

Attached Thumbnails

• 001.JPG
  • 002.JPG
  • 003.JPG
  • 004.JPG

• hamman and twostep have said thanks