• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 09:05 AM

Jess, if ya did lose a tear or 2, it wouldn't make you less a man in my book!  That's a lot to shock the system!  Sure hate to see this.  ANYTHING can be repaired, so just set it back until you are ready....the time will come.  Overcoming adversity is a great accomplishment, and I KNOW you can do it!

• NUTNDUN, twostep, WNYTractorTinkerer and 2 others have said thanks

#17 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 09:17 AM

Wow Jess, Thank GOD no one was hurt. I know it has really set you back, but as others said take some time off and let the dust settle. There are a lot of parts out there to rebuild it, it's just up to you. Did the bolts on the hitch to frame fail or did the hitch shear off? I have had both happen to me over the years. I now inspect my hitches all the time because I pull a lot of loads and weight at work.

Again, I'm So Sorry!!

• NUTNDUN, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#18 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,585 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 09:30 AM

WOW! Sorry for the loss to your Tractors. What broke on the hitch? I always double check mine when traveling (not that you didn't) and even after we stop for fuelm etc. I check it again. I have lost a trailer (1986) with a GT on it as well as 30 sheets of 4' X 8' X 3/4" plywood. Mine was afaulty hitch! It was latched and pinned but the jaw broke.

I am sure you can repair what damage has been done. The 990 looks great! Don't give up and get discouraged. Have you talked to your Insurance agent yet? I had mine replaced (it was an old one by the way) and I got to keep the old one.

Hope to see pictures of you rebuilding them and getting back to using them around the place and at plow day. Roger.

• NUTNDUN and oldedeeres have said thanks

#19 Jlaws OFFLINE  

Jlaws
  • Member No: 31172
  • 543 Thanks
  • 366 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 10:12 AM

My trailer is a converted RV trailer with electric brakes on both axles . It has two 3500 axles .

It wasn't particularly pretty , but it was made solid .

That's one of the reason I liked it is was because its heavy made and does stop quickly when  load . I was changing lanes while slowing down in traffic when it broke and the joy ride started . The hitch broke off cleanly at the weld and snapped the hooks on both safety chains when it came off .

Its a TSC 5000 lb. hitch which had a 2 5/16 ball that looks like it wasn't welded heavy enough or they didn't use enough heat . Its not twisted or bent , in fact I'll probably get out the Millermatic and lay a heavy weld back on it and reuse it .

My 20 Magnum Original has a broken front axle and drag link  and a few scratches on the hood and light . It got off lucky . The 982 has a busted grill casting and one of the rear Ags got punctured .

8 gallons of rimguard made a mess on the trailer and highway , and when the fire dept first showed up , I had a hard time trying to explain that it was non toxic and water soluble . Luckily one of them was familiar with the product before they called out the haz-mat team .

The Ohio police after seeing what happened , were very nice and actually somewhat sympathetic to my bad luck , I'm very appreciative to there help . I received no citation , even though I couldn't provide proof of ownership and the fact that there is no tag on the trailer which isn't required in Ky.

They put the trailer and tractors on a rollback and hauled it to there lot where I followed them . After paying a $218 towing fee and doing some temporary repairs on the wiring plug so I had lights and brakes , I changed out the hitch and actually limped her home still somewhat shaken from my earlier joy ride .

Attached Thumbnails

• hitch 002.JPG
  • hitch 003.JPG

• NUTNDUN, MH81, hamman and 8 others have said thanks

#20 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 10:48 AM

Wow, what a pathetic weld!  I don't know, but you may have a good claim against the maker!  Might not want to touch it just yet!

• NUTNDUN, Gtractor, Alc and 5 others have said thanks

#21 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 10:49 AM

I think I may re-weld both my hitches now!

• NUTNDUN, twostep, WNYTractorTinkerer and 1 other said thanks

#22 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 10:58 AM

I agree dan those welds look very skimpy and if it was close to new I would've taken it back with a receipt and shown them what happened. Glad everything worked out though and you didn't get charged with anything.

• NUTNDUN, oldedeeres and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#23 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 11:00 AM

Sorry jess. I.May be checking mine as well.
  • NUTNDUN said thank you

#24 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 11:11 AM

Jess,

Sorry about the misfortune. I am glad nobody got hurt. You did an awesome job on the restoration of the MTD 990. I hope that after a couple days go by you will be able to approach rebuilding it with an open mind. That hitch definitely needs to be posted in the safety forum. That is pathetic it broke like that. Everyone should check theirs. If you know what brand hitch it was that would be nice info to be posted so owners of the same brand can make a better decision on fixing or replacing theirs.

• Canawler, oldedeeres and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#25 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,585 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 01:30 PM

Wow I think I can weld better than that and I am a horrible welder! I think I might take it back to TSC and see what they think of replacing the hitch. It obviously was a faulty weld and it may behove them to do so. They have a liability for the products they sell. That being said, So glad you or no one else was hurt in this. Good luck. Roger.

• NUTNDUN and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#26 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 01:31 PM

I doubt that you could have seen the problem before that weld let go. If the trailer and load weighed less than the 5000 pounds then the hitch manufacturer is resposible for all the accident and its costs. Do not tamper with the evidence. Make extra copies of all photos and documents. This is a time to seek legal advise. Where did the chain hooks come from? Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, October 22, 2013 - 01:35 PM.

• NUTNDUN, Alc, Canawler and 1 other said thanks

#27 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 01:35 PM

If the trailer and load weighed less than the 5000 pounds then the hitch manufacturer is resposible for all the accident and its costs. Do not tamper with the evidence. Make extra copies of all photos and documents. This is a time to seek legal advise. Where did the chain hooks come from? Good Luck, Rick

I am not the lawsuit type but Rick is right. If that load including trailer were under the weight rating of that hitch then you should seek some legal advice. Even if the only thing that comes out of it is they either take the hitches off the market and do them correctly but you should be able to get damages.

• Alc, Canawler, Texas Deere and Horse and 2 others have said thanks

#28 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 01:38 PM

Your making a noise now may save someones life! Thanks, George I'm not the lawsuit type either but there is a time and place for almost everything.
  • NUTNDUN, olcowhand, Gtractor and 5 others have said thanks

#29 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 01:40 PM

That's very true. Even if you can't recoup anything at least you know you did your part to possibly prevent it from happening to someone else. Any pictures of the damage after unloading?
  • NUTNDUN, olcowhand and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#30 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 01:42 PM

Your making a noise now may save someones life! Thanks, George I'm not the lawsuit type either but there is a time and place for almost everything.

Yep that is the way I am looking at this. If they do proper testing even if it is only random testing that isn't the only one to fail. I don't know how much Jess's trailer weights but if it weighs what I could guesstimate it at there is no way he would have been overweight for the hitch's supposed rating.

• boyscout862 said thank you