Sometime You Just Want To Cry .

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 Jlaws OFFLINE  

• Member No: 31172
  • 541 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 12:32 AM

Well , I don't know where to start my sad story . I guess at the beginning .

About 9 months ago a man told me of a fellow that had  6 cub cadets he'd like to sell as a group . I went to look at them and we agreed on a price for the lot , except he changed his mind at the last moment and decided to keep one of the cubs . Well he also had a big ugly rusty blue tractor that I thought was a Bolens , but later discovered it was a MTD 990 . He agreed to substitute the 990 for the cub that he decided to keep .  

Well after I got the 990 home , it kind of grew on me .

I did a little research and a lot of parts searching and finally decided to restore it .

I spent countless time and money restoring what most people would have consider a parts machine .

The frame and all body parts were completely stripped .

Engine work , carb rebuild , new driveshaft , front axle  , new electrical wiring , new tires ,  body work and paint , just to name some of the work done .

I had a plow day this past weekend that I've gone to every year since 2005 and I was wanting to take my 990  , so I finished welding up the rear lift for it on Thursday night to have it ready to plow on Saturday morning .

About the only thing I didn't get done was to install the new hood decal  since the paint on the hood was only a few days old ,  so I decided to put the hood decals on after I returned from plowday .

I drove up Friday afternoon , which was a beautiful day and got a room for the night .

Well , it was raining Saturday morning when I got up and it rained almost all day .

The field was muddy when it finally stop , but a few of us decided to make a few passes anyways .  I left my freshly painted 990 and my recently restored Cub Original on the trailer . I made a few passes in the mud with my cub 982 , since I had driven 3 1/2 hours to be there .

I had a good time anyway that evening eating lunch and BS ing with old friends and we said our goodbyes before my return trip home .

My return trip home didn't quite go as I had planned .

Without going into detail ( so don't ask ) its not a pleasant experience to have your trailer hitch break off your truck while going down the interstate . Luckily the only vehicles damaged was to my trailer and minor damage to the rear of my truck . It could have been a lot worse , and I thank God no one else was involved .

Needless to say all three tractors suffered some damage with the MTD getting the worst of it .

The two cubs will be repaired but I believe the 990 is a total loss as it got pancaked between the two cubs and the guardrail .

The first picture below is when I first brought the basket case 990 home last winter .

The second , third and fourth pictures  are right before I loaded it on the trailer Friday to go to plow day. 

The fifth  picture is it sitting on the trailer waiting on the rain to end with my cubs .

The last ones are after the carnage on the return trip home .

I still haven't accessed all the damage as by the time I got home it was getting dark , but so far I know its got a busted grill , carb , and carb elbow , bent engine sheet metal , air breather and  hood , cracked dash , busted rear axle .

Right now I'm really disgusted with myself , and I'm going to wait a couple of days after I calm down to revaluate the whole situation .  

Attached Thumbnails

• 990.jpg
  • 007.JPG
  • 008.JPG
  • 009.JPG
  • 014.JPG
  • 040.JPG
  • 041.JPG

Edited by Jlaws, October 22, 2013 - 08:55 AM.

• NUTNDUN, daytime dave, hamman and 9 others have said thanks

#2 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

• Member No: 14008
  • 5,514 Thanks
  • 3,064 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 12:42 AM

That's a real bummer. Like you said, at least nobody else was involved, but still an awful thing to have happen. Give yourself a bit of time to get yourself together again, and then fix. it back up even better than before

• JRJ said thank you

#3 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,131 Thanks
  • 4,548 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 12:58 AM

That is awful to see / hear about Jlaws!!

Unbelievable the hitch took a hiatus like that..  It could have been much worse if you didn't have them attached securely..  Lick your wounds and put things back together after a while like OD says..

• NUTNDUN, oldedeeres and JRJ have said thanks

#4 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

• Member No: 11127
  • 1,325 Thanks
  • 1,509 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 01:19 AM

Sorry to hear about all those. Glad nobody was injured though that's the main thing. Ill look around to see if I can find any spare parts to help out. Might have an extra grille in the stockpile somewhere.

• NUTNDUN, LilysDad, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#5 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,581 Thanks
  • 38,979 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 05:03 AM

Ouch! Not a good thing to have happen! Sorry for your loss!

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 05:17 AM

That's a truely sad story. That 990 looked fantastic. You did a great job on it. They are well worth saving.  I would just take some time away from the tractors and let things settle for a bit. After that amount of work it would be a shame to part out that 990 if it can be repaired. I'm also guilty of putting a lot of time and money into tractors that most people would part out. I sometimes get frustrated with the old tractors but after some time to consider it I keep on working to restore them.

• NUTNDUN, Dieselcubmike, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#7 Alc OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,278 Thanks
  • 6,482 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 05:25 AM

Sorry to hear that this happened to you . Be greatful it did't cause harm to others . Maybe we can all look at our towing/trailers and all that goes into keeping them safetly together . I for one will be checking all attachment points, ball , ect

• NUTNDUN, Dieselcubmike, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#8 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,378 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 05:44 AM

Glad no one was hurt.

That has to be real hard on a fella, after all the nice work you did.

Sorry to see this happen.

I'd let the dust settle, and in a while, take a close look at resurrecting it.

Edited by IamSherwood, October 22, 2013 - 05:48 AM.

• NUTNDUN and oldedeeres have said thanks

#9 powerking56 OFFLINE  

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 06:06 AM

That is a real heart breaker, glad no one was hurt.  Take some time before deciding what to with the 990. 

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#10 boyscout862 ONLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,448 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 06:51 AM

My condolences on the accident. You are doing the right thing to wait a few days or more to gain a clearer perspective. I had the hitch break open on my truck one time. There was 5 tons of rebar on the tag along trailer. Fortunately, the chains held and the trailer only went part way under the truck. It was very scary. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, October 22, 2013 - 06:51 AM.

#11 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,688 Thanks
  • 2,910 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 07:08 AM

So sorry to hear of this happening.  That MTD looked really great, you did an excellent job with that.  Good luck with your decision in the future.

#12 MH81 OFFLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,643 Thanks
  • 28,301 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 07:16 AM

Boy, so sorry to hear of you loosing the trailer and the accident that followed. I feel really bad for you and the tractors.

Now, I want to say this, you did a damn fine job on the restore and nothing should dim the pride you have from that. I would also voice the day or two away from it, but if you feel it's to much or to painful... Only you will know for sure.

If you do decide to try to bring it around, be sure to keep the before-after-accident-before-after pics. It'll make a great story. The nine lives of the 990 or something like that. :D
  • NUTNDUN, IamSherwood, Dieselcubmike and 2 others have said thanks

#13 Canawler OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,880 Thanks
  • 1,744 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 07:21 AM

Really sorry to hear about this and as everyone said, thank goodness no other cars were involved and no one was hurt.  If you don't end up fixing it up, at least you have some good pictures of the restoration.

When you figure out exactly what broke or wasn't secured, it might be a good thread for the safety forum. :thumbs:

• Member No: 10038
  • 4,664 Thanks
  • 4,212 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 08:35 AM

Sorry to read about the accident, and see the damage in the photos.

As others have said, you were lucky that no other vehicles were involved.

The tractors were very nice looking....You did a great restore on the MTD.

What exactlly broke on your hitch? This will have the rest of us checking our equipment a little closer now!

#15 BillTribbitt OFFLINE  

• Member No: 48427
  • 51 Thanks
  • 56 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 08:54 AM

Sorry about the accident. Like everybody has already said, at least no one else was injured. The MTD did look great. I hope the one I just found turns out as nice. Keep on building!!