• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24042
  • 1,473 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted October 21, 2013 - 07:51 PM

Well I just picked this one up. Can anyone tell me about them? Good tractor? Is there a difference in the attachments? It has a bendix mag on it. Is that common? It looks to be a 49 model. It also has wooden engagement handless? Anyone know when they changed that?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0351.JPG

#2 Gtractor OFFLINE  

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,402 Thanks
  • 3,815 posts

Posted October 21, 2013 - 08:19 PM

MAN!!!  you been finding some good stuff! 

They are very good machines.  That one is rated 5 horse but thats after power goes through the transmission.  it is called a four speed but thats two forward and two reverse.  High "gear" also increases the PTO speed and that can be unhandy.  They are very overbuilt. 

I don't know when they changed to rubber shift handles but please be careful - those older models will lock in reverse and could back over you!  Later models were changed to not lock in reverse as a safety measure. 

GREAT FIND!!!  :thumbs:

• Alc and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#3 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,635 Thanks
  • 1,325 posts

Posted October 21, 2013 - 08:39 PM

Once you get it running you'll love it!

The one I have is a 1952 which has wood handles for the hand grips and hi/low - forward/reverse levers.

Great find on it :thumbs:

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted October 21, 2013 - 08:42 PM

I think my favorite machine of all time is a Gravely.  There is nothing wrong with them at all! 

Some people hate the rope start.  I always refused to depend on mine until I could tune it up and learn its quirks to start on the first pull when it was warm and second pull when it was cold. 

Deal with Todd White of GTGravely for parts.  He knows what he is talking about as well as being a real good guy to work with.

Ben W.

• DougT said thank you

#5 farmerall OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,132 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 06:21 PM

Nice machine. From what I have heard the Gravely L is supposed to be a great machine. I had one for awhile and wasn't too impressed with it but I think that was just due to that individual machine. Mine had sat outside for many years and after I got it running it only ran at one speed and would bog  done in heavy grass. I got rid of the L and now have a C10 A that I like much better.