Air Compressor Repair

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 freedhardwoods OFFLINE  

• Member No: 47074
  • 374 Thanks
  • 197 posts

Posted October 21, 2013 - 05:49 PM

I was reading several of the threads here  in the tool shed and reading one about an air compressor made remember when mine locked up. Maybe this little story will help someone down the road.

I bought this compressor several years ago for the tools that required air in my woodworking business. My employee came to work one morning and found the shop full of smoke, with the compressor motor running, and the compressor wasn't. We had let the oil run low and it had seized up. The smoke was from the belt getting burned to a crisp.

I took the compressor off, removed the bolts, and pulled the block up but didn't let the piston rings out. That gave me just enough room to work. It didn't have rod bearings; just aluminum, one piece rods on a steel crank. I heated the rods with a propane torch until I could turn the crank, then sprayed WD40 while turning it.

After turning it for about 5 minutes the WD40 had washed out all the loose aluminum particles and I started dripping ATF on it while turning. After 5 more minutes I switched to 50 WT trans oil. 5 more minutes and I switched to Lucas hub oil (thicker than regular gear oil). I dripped and turned for about 10 minutes to make sure that thick stuff had gotten in between the rod and crank. I wiped everything clean, put it back together and filled the crankcase with Lucas hub oil.

I suppose just about everyone would say you can't run oil that thick in there, but it has been running like that for a few years now and the crankcase doesn't leak anymore.

AIR COMP 1.jpg AIR COMP 2.jpg AIR COMP 3.jpg

• NUTNDUN, MH81, Alc and 6 others have said thanks

#2 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,495 Thanks
  • 7,629 posts

Posted October 21, 2013 - 06:46 PM

Good to know that a thicker oil will work. Nice save.

• freedhardwoods said thank you

• Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted October 21, 2013 - 06:53 PM

This just goes to show that where there is a will there is a way, and it worked this time.   Good Job.

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted October 21, 2013 - 08:27 PM

That's pretty good getting it going again after being seized from lack of oil. Definitely not something I would have tried mainly due to not knowing if it would work or not. Don't really have anything else to loose though if it didn't work. Good deal the piston didn't lock up and only the rod bearing. Always nice when you can get something going again without much money to be spent.

#5 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,516 Thanks
  • 7,379 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 07:10 AM

Good trick. My 40 year old compressor calls for 40w or 50w oil. I had to rebuild it 30 years ago because my brother worked the h--- out of it while I was off in the Army. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, October 22, 2013 - 07:10 AM.

#6 freedhardwoods OFFLINE  

• Member No: 47074
  • 374 Thanks
  • 197 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 08:30 AM

I should add that that I used thick oil to cushion the "slop" from the extreme wear when it seized.