• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• Member No: 6780
  • 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted October 21, 2013 - 05:01 PM

Last Tuesday I got on Craigslist looking around and found a JD 110, Snowco Model 46 Trailer, EZ-Rake Unit and an 80 Cart all in one deal.  The original owner (the sellers father) died 10 years ago and all of it was put in storage and has been sitting there ever since.  I went by and looked at all of it and put a deposit down on all of it and made arrangements to pick it up Saturday Morning.  The following Thursday I was looking at Craigslist again and found a 5B sprayer that was COMPLETE and it also had been sitting in storage for several years.  I called the seller and made arrangements to pick it up Friday night.

Well Friday night rolled around and I was supposed to meet the seller at his house about 30 miles away around 5 pm.  I dropped my daughter off at Cheer-leading practice at 4:30 and headed his way.  Well I was almost there when I called him and he told me that he was having to work later than expected and that it would be about 6:30 or 7 before he got home :wallbanging:  That is what I get for not calling BEFORE I headed that way. Oh well spent about an hour or so strolling through Lowe's while waiting on him to get home.  He finally called me about 6:30 and said that he would be home in about 20 minutes and gave me directions to his house.  He got there about 5 minutes after I did and it was worth the wait! It is complete and mostly original. At least one of the hoses has been replaced but the boom is all there as well as the hand wand.

IMG 1735
It took me and my youngest brother spent about 30 minutes Saturday morning getting it running. It had been run out of gas before it was stored, so the carb was nice and clean.  We put a new plug in it, replaced the air filter(it crumbled apart when you touched it) put some gas in it and after about 3 pulls, she roared to life!
After we got it running it was about time to go fetch the 110 and Snowco deal so we loaded up and headed out.  He had moved the 80 cart to his airplane hangar at the local airport so we went by there first and then went to the house to get the trailer and tractor.
IMG 1730
IMG 1723

This is what it looked like shortly after we got it home. It took us a little while to get the EZ-Rake running. We cleaned the carb but there was very little residue inside of the carb itself. Cleaned the shut off valve and replaced the fuel line. It would fire a couple of times and quit. You could pull it several times before it would fire again.  We finally realized that we didnt have compression for some reason, so off came the head.  The exhaust valve would stick occasionally so we shot it a couple of times with WD-40 and worked it up and down until it would move on its own without sticking. Cleaned off all of the Carbon while we were there.  The top of the piston was still nice and clean.  Bolted the head back up and  gave it a yank and she came to life.  She smoked like a freight train for a minute or two until it burnt all of the WD-40 out of the intake runner.  After it burnt all of the WD-40 out, she smoothed out and ran great.  That little blower is all Steel and Cast Iron.  The impeller is cast iron and you can see small dents in the housing from all of the HICKORY nuts that have been fed through it over the years......lol

IMG 1726
IMG 1725

After we got little EZ Rake Kohler running, we turned our attention to the 110.  This is where the headaches kicked in..........We cleaned the carb first...........it was FULL of GREEN MOLASSES........I am thinking that it is 10 yr old Stabil but not really sure.  I am going to have to get a carb kit and really clean it good because it is STILL pouring fuel. :wallbanging:   We bolted a battery in it in hopes that we could at least get it to fire with what gas was in the carb bowl.  We spent the next 2 hours or so chasing wiring and trying to figure out why we didnt have fire to the plug.  We finally came to the conclusion that the key switch is bad because of some weird  test light results that we were getting from the hot wire to the points. I will order a switch tonight and a set of points and condensor (because they look a little toasted from the short in the switch) Will probably have to order a carb kit as well.......will have to see if my local small engine guy has one in stock.  I think once I replace the switch, it should at least be getting fire to the points and should at least fire.  Once I get fire to the points, she should come to life.  I know that the variator is going to need some work but that shouldnt be a lot of trouble.  The machine is in pretty good shape overall considering that it is 43 years old.  The seat is in GOOD shape........no cracks or rips anywhere.

IMG 1728
IMG 1727
IMG 1724
There is also an 80 cart that came with 110. It has been used just about its entire life as a grass catcher and  Hickory nut retrieval tool...... :D   There is a lot of surface rust on the cart as well as the wheels and someone bolted a trailer hitch to the tongue.  I am going to have to see how much if any was cut off and repair that. Other wise the cart will get a good blasting and a fresh coat of paint. It is an aluminum tag so I am thinking that it was bought at the same time as the tractor. If you look inside of the cart you can see the tailgate with BOTH hinge pieces and only surface rust.  Also there is a garbage bag holder to collect the clippings and Hickory nuts..........I am thinking that my brother in Florida is going to wind up with the EZ-Rake and Bagger housing part of the cart.  He already has an 80 cart and I plan to keep this one.
IMG 1734
IMG 1732
IMG 1731
And last but not least is the Model 46 Snowco Trailer, as you can see, someone decided to extend the "rock guard" on the front to extend all the way down the sides.  The first day that I looked at it, it was sitting in a basement and I really didnt pay much attention to the sides. I thought to start with that they were original until I started looking at the pics.  IF I keep the trailer, I will remove the sides and restore the front piece the best that I can.  Once I get it as close to original as I can get it, it will get blasted and painted......probably in a John Deere theme...will determine that later. Below are pictures from the original Craigslist listing.  That is a neat little TWO speed winch........not sure what I am going to do with it just yet.......would come in handy on Deere Hunting trips.
Snowco trailer
Snowco trailer7
Snowco trailer4

Edited by Robert Webb, October 21, 2013 - 05:08 PM.

• johndeereelfman, tinbender7, CRFarnsworth and 6 others have said thanks

#2 ckjakline OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,052 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted October 21, 2013 - 05:24 PM

Looks like you got quite the haul there.Nice score on everything,exspecially the sprayer.

• daytime dave and JRJ have said thanks

#3 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 6,332 posts

Posted October 21, 2013 - 05:35 PM

Robert, that's quite a score.  Congratulations.  That sprayer is something pretty cool.  I don't know if I have ever seen one.  I'd say you bagged a trophy in your Deere hunt.

• JRJ said thank you

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,705 Thanks
  • 28,347 posts

Posted October 21, 2013 - 06:02 PM

Wow, good deere hunting for sure. Nice haul two great trailers, rake, wow. Nice.

Thanks for the pics and the writeup.
  • oldedeeres said thank you

#5 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,207 Thanks
  • 2,363 posts

Posted October 21, 2013 - 06:34 PM

Nice score!!!   :thumbs:    :thumbs:    :thumbs:

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 21, 2013 - 07:01 PM

A very nice tractor and attachments. That trailer is pretty nice as well. I'm not familiar with those. Was it a snowmobile trailer?

#7 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,587 Thanks
  • 3,740 posts

Posted October 21, 2013 - 07:09 PM

Nice score!  Love the trailer and always appreciate a 110.  That seat is incredible!!!

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted October 21, 2013 - 08:38 PM

You got your limit there. Thanks for sharing.

#9 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,461 Thanks
  • 2,527 posts

Posted October 21, 2013 - 08:40 PM

Congrats Robert, looks like you did real good. Have your work cut out for you on a couple pieces, but overall you got yourself a nice package deal. What year is the 110, a '70 or a '71?

• oldedeeres said thank you

#10 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

• Member No: 14008
  • 5,548 Thanks
  • 3,079 posts

Posted October 21, 2013 - 11:43 PM

The 110 is a beaut--- I'm thinking I'd like one myself some day. Good haul!

#11 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• Member No: 6780
  • 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 01:23 PM

the 110 is a 70 model........it is a pretty decent tractor but I dont see it sticking around for very long.

As for the Sprayer.........I had a friend email me the day I picked it up wanting to buy it.......lol

All of this stuff will keep me busy for the next few months and through the winter.  I have several pieces that are going to get blasted and repainted.  I have a Cole Planter that will be here Thursday that I am going to refurbish for him.  Of course it will have to stay at my house long enough to plant the spring garden...........(always a method to the madness....hehehe)

• johndeereelfman said thank you