Last Tuesday I got on Craigslist looking around and found a JD 110, Snowco Model 46 Trailer, EZ-Rake Unit and an 80 Cart all in one deal. The original owner (the sellers father) died 10 years ago and all of it was put in storage and has been sitting there ever since. I went by and looked at all of it and put a deposit down on all of it and made arrangements to pick it up Saturday Morning. The following Thursday I was looking at Craigslist again and found a 5B sprayer that was COMPLETE and it also had been sitting in storage for several years. I called the seller and made arrangements to pick it up Friday night.
Well Friday night rolled around and I was supposed to meet the seller at his house about 30 miles away around 5 pm. I dropped my daughter off at Cheer-leading practice at 4:30 and headed his way. Well I was almost there when I called him and he told me that he was having to work later than expected and that it would be about 6:30 or 7 before he got home That is what I get for not calling BEFORE I headed that way. Oh well spent about an hour or so strolling through Lowe's while waiting on him to get home. He finally called me about 6:30 and said that he would be home in about 20 minutes and gave me directions to his house. He got there about 5 minutes after I did and it was worth the wait! It is complete and mostly original. At least one of the hoses has been replaced but the boom is all there as well as the hand wand.
This is what it looked like shortly after we got it home. It took us a little while to get the EZ-Rake running. We cleaned the carb but there was very little residue inside of the carb itself. Cleaned the shut off valve and replaced the fuel line. It would fire a couple of times and quit. You could pull it several times before it would fire again. We finally realized that we didnt have compression for some reason, so off came the head. The exhaust valve would stick occasionally so we shot it a couple of times with WD-40 and worked it up and down until it would move on its own without sticking. Cleaned off all of the Carbon while we were there. The top of the piston was still nice and clean. Bolted the head back up and gave it a yank and she came to life. She smoked like a freight train for a minute or two until it burnt all of the WD-40 out of the intake runner. After it burnt all of the WD-40 out, she smoothed out and ran great. That little blower is all Steel and Cast Iron. The impeller is cast iron and you can see small dents in the housing from all of the HICKORY nuts that have been fed through it over the years......lol
After we got little EZ Rake Kohler running, we turned our attention to the 110. This is where the headaches kicked in..........We cleaned the carb first...........it was FULL of GREEN MOLASSES........I am thinking that it is 10 yr old Stabil but not really sure. I am going to have to get a carb kit and really clean it good because it is STILL pouring fuel. We bolted a battery in it in hopes that we could at least get it to fire with what gas was in the carb bowl. We spent the next 2 hours or so chasing wiring and trying to figure out why we didnt have fire to the plug. We finally came to the conclusion that the key switch is bad because of some weird test light results that we were getting from the hot wire to the points. I will order a switch tonight and a set of points and condensor (because they look a little toasted from the short in the switch) Will probably have to order a carb kit as well.......will have to see if my local small engine guy has one in stock. I think once I replace the switch, it should at least be getting fire to the points and should at least fire. Once I get fire to the points, she should come to life. I know that the variator is going to need some work but that shouldnt be a lot of trouble. The machine is in pretty good shape overall considering that it is 43 years old. The seat is in GOOD shape........no cracks or rips anywhere.
Edited by Robert Webb, October 21, 2013 - 05:08 PM.