FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted December 11, 2010 - 04:46 PM

Bwahhhaaaa..... Today I built a stand for the weight box to sit on and managed to get it bolted onto the tractor. With that one, I was able to bolt on the plow. I had already put my loaded turf's with chains on so it was time to play a little and see what she could do.

Well, with a total of 425lbs loaded on the back I tested out the plow on some rubble in the back yard. It is at the step that if I can get the tires to spin, the belt is just starting to slip. That tells me I have close to the perfect balance here. I am at the balance point between tire traction and belt slip. And those chains dug holes plenty fast once the tires started to slip! :yelclap:

I bolted on the spare and cut up running boards so that I can have some time to prep the gray parts for paint. They might even stay on until spring. But either way, I am ready for the show to fly!

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,449 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted December 11, 2010 - 05:03 PM

That sure is a lot of weight !!!! Is there a limit on how much the bearings in the rear can take ?

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 11, 2010 - 06:00 PM

That sure is a lot of weight !!!! Is there a limit on how much the bearings in the rear can take ?

You know that is a good point. I wonder what the limit might be. When too much is too much LOL.

I would really like to get some weight on the back of my Massey MF12 but she is going to have to work this winter just the way she sits.

Glad to hear you got the weight box on. Sounds like she will definitely move stuff without breaking much traction.

#4 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted December 11, 2010 - 06:18 PM

Thats why loaded tires or wheel weights are the way to go........less stress on the bearings, hubs etc.

#5 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted December 11, 2010 - 09:13 PM

Don't forget, that is total weight.... 200lbs of that is on the wheels. 100lbs in weights, 100 in liquid. The box itself is just 225lbs and while I am not quite sure the max weight it can handle, given the fact that it's all 4" from the frame, I am sure the factory tiller puts more weight and stress on the axle. If I remember correctly, the axle load is about 750lbs. I am under 200 myself, plus 225 for the weight box. I am sure the tractor can handle the weight box given the attachments it's designed to run.

Now the only thing I would like to do is to make my own lead wheel weights that are in the 50-75lb range and if I can get that weight on the inboard side of the wheels, even better.

I still have to blow some paint on the box, but I wanted to build that stand and see how hard it was going to be to get it on the tractor before I messed up a fresh paint job.

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 11, 2010 - 09:49 PM

I think you are at a safe level weight wise but I don't think I would go much more on the frame weight. Adding more weight on the wheels would be alright though.

#7 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted December 11, 2010 - 10:16 PM

Yea, the only place that might get some weight is up front. I would like to put about 25-50 on the front to help plant the tri-ribs to the ground.

#8 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• Member No: 27
  • 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted December 11, 2010 - 10:20 PM

Yes, the rear axle limit is around 750lbs. Thats not bad with traction, and now i know what i have to work towards on my "fleet". I think its time to start collecting lead.

#9 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted December 12, 2010 - 02:23 PM

Start looking while you can... It will be hard to find soon. They are quickly phasing out lead wheel weights and pipes, gutters, flashing etc is not as common either. The bullet re-loaders are starting to horde it like crazy too. Add a poor economy to the scrappers and it's getting hard to find. I want to grab a few more 5 gallon buckets to melt down into ingots seeing as how you will always be able to reclaim your money if you get it cheap enough. What I need is a tiny brake drum forge to melt it down fast & easy.