• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Camperundertheoaks OFFLINE  

Camperundertheoaks
  • Member No: 48617
  • 8 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 09:34 PM

I just purchased 14 acres that is mostly wooded, but has a couple of acres of garden and a number of trails that need to be kept mowed.  While a big tractor would be nice, I can't get one right now and have been looking at old garden tractors. 

I went into a junktique shop, lots of odds and ends.  the fellow had several old garden tractors.  These included a Case 220, a Cub Cadet 124, A john Deere 111, An Allis Chamlers B-10 and an early "80's Sears tractor (sorry for insuffucient data- it had a 52" deck and used to have several implements but he had sold them.

They all need some level of work but would be bought without them running.  Supposedly, all but the Case 220 just need minor tinkering and will go.  The case, he  thinks, has a stuck valve.

The Allis was appealling but has no mower deck, just a culivator, so I would have to locate a deck.   The Case is in the nicest shape body wise, good paint and no dents.  but apparently the engine is in rough shape (10 horse Kohler) 

The sears was the most banged (bashed grill) up but supposedly needed the points filed to run.

The John Deere needed a selenoid

The Cub needed carb and deck bearing work.

They would be all sold between $150 (case) to $300 (Allis) and would be sold without hearing them run, as is.  Any suggestions as to which or should I pass?  I like to work on things but time is not very available these days. 

Thanks for any input!!!!

• OldBuzzard, Texas Deere and Horse, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 09:47 PM

Welcome to GTtalk. I can tell you that the JD is just a lawn tractor and the rest are true Garden tractor. I personally would go with the AC or the Cub, but the Case guys will say Case, Do you have any pictures to post, it would help. Also knowing what HP and model Sears it is would help a lot.

• NUTNDUN and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,303 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 10:42 PM

:welcome: to GTTalk
They all sound like interesting units, but the not running thing causes me a little alarm.

I would watch your area CL and paper ads to see if something comes up. Even go so far as to put a want ad out there.
We see guys still finding packages with deck, plow, blade, cultivators for roughly two to three times what he's quoting you for a non running Allis and you'd be all ready to go.

Here is an example of what I mean.
http://columbus.crai...4139337874.html

http://columbus.crai...4098759508.html

http://columbus.crai...4124768492.html

They all would need rear attachment lifts, and some attachments... But at least it's a runner and ready to go assuming they are represented correctly.
  • NUTNDUN and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#4 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 11:03 PM

untitled welcome.png

I tend to favor the Case or Cub. There are better choices in the John Deere family available.

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 21, 2013 - 05:00 AM

Welcome to GTtalk. I was going to reply pretty much spot on with what MH81 already posted. Without any of them running you have no way of checking to see if everything else is in working condition. Definitely keep an eye out on craigslist and you can also check out other forms of classifieds like eBay or our classifieds section.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,465 Thanks
  • 39,697 posts

Posted October 21, 2013 - 05:25 AM

Welcome to the forum! I agree with what MH81 said also. But it would be interesting to find out more about the Sears. That 52" deck has me wondering!

• Texas Deere and Horse and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted October 21, 2013 - 05:31 AM

Welcome to GTT. I agree with above, forget about the junk shop stuff. I am very familiar with the B10 and think that they are terrific tractors. A not running popular garden tractor is only worth $50. Each good attachment is worth another $50 - $100. The ACs, Bolens and Wheelhorse are plentiful in my area. Since you are new be very conservative. There are alot of crooks out there.

As the others said check CL and learn what is plentiful in your area. Any of the real garden tractors should do well for you. If you could manage to find a good large frame tractor, like a Bolens 1250 or a Power King , even better.  You may want to pick up an LT for mowing and a GT for all the other work. A great place to get mowers and LTs is the local dump.

Check out our Manuals Section. Good Luck, Rick

• KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks

#8 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted October 21, 2013 - 08:37 AM

Welcome to GTtalk.  I also agree with the above, look around.  One thing I might add is, we have a local shopper paper people can put ad's in for free.  I find some great deals in there so if there is one in your neck of the woods that may be a good source.  Also Yard sales, you never know what you will find when you go yard saleing.  

To give you and idea on prices, I bought a 12HP Craftsman hydro lawn tractor, running for $50.  There was no Deck with it and the carburetor needs overhaul but it is in pretty good shape and I could drive it all over the place.  Good luck.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#9 Camperundertheoaks OFFLINE  

Camperundertheoaks
  • 8 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted October 21, 2013 - 09:02 AM

Thanks everyone. I think I'll pass on the broken ones and keep looking for one in decent running condition. When I get one, I will be back. :)
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#10 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted October 21, 2013 - 09:14 AM

Might as well stick around anyways, do some reading on the pros, cons and capabilities of different models, etc. Maybe someone will offer something up for sale on here that suits you as well...

#11 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted October 21, 2013 - 12:14 PM

Yea, join in on some of the conversations.  You never know what it will lead to.  Also check out our classifieds one may pop up in your neck of the woods.

#12 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted October 21, 2013 - 01:54 PM

Case and IH cub are heavier.  I like Power King or Economy but not as many around.  Why not just a Ford 8N type with bush hog for trails?  GT's don't hold up too well to that rougher stuff.  Wheelhorse makes many  easy to fix models, tons of attachments around. A little  heavier one is best again for the trail cutting. 

#13 Camperundertheoaks OFFLINE  

Camperundertheoaks
  • 8 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted October 21, 2013 - 04:25 PM

Hi again and thanks for the warm welcome and good advice.  The closest wheelhorse I found was in Little Rock, AR, which is six hours away.  The reason I was checking into an older garden tractor is that they are sturdier than the plastic riding mowers of late and offer extra equipment possibilities such as a disk or a blade.   The Case I mentioned looked very nice,  it must have been garaged as the paint still looked good.  Back in the 80's, I had seen an AC garden tractor and the shop offered to have it running turn key but the wife talked me into a new John Deere---big mistake.  But I really liked that AC and this one is similiar to the one I had seen before.  I dropped by the junk dealer guy to get some pictures and more info but they were closed.  I recently checked with a small engine shop about the older mowers and they told me if the engine block was cast iron, it would be worth redoing but that they don't rebuild engines anymore.  I do have a new son in law that is a toyota technician that rebuilds toyota engines--wonder if I could talk him into a small engine rebuild, lol  I actually have an 8n Ford tractor that was my dads but it is stored in Oklahoma and would cost as much as a lawn tractor to bring it back and i might need it there anyway.  I have seen 8n ford tractors around here in Mississippi but the rough ones are $1200 and up.   Of course a six foot brush hog would make short work of the mowing!  again thanks and I will be back. 

• MH81 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#14 Camperundertheoaks OFFLINE  

Camperundertheoaks
  • 8 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 05:47 PM

An update to my original post.  I found a 1968 cub cadet 124 with a mower deck and old trailer for $500.  It starts and runs well.  I had to put on the deck with a new belt but it works well.  I will eventually need to get new tires, could use a new battery, the other two belts.  I hope to get the hitch set up and some Brinly attachments in the future.  Thanks for all the help on the original post.november from my phone 020.jpg

#15 Camperundertheoaks OFFLINE  

Camperundertheoaks
  • 8 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 05:49 PM

just for a clarification.  the trailer i mentioned was a small garden trailer, not the old army one in the pic.  It was a tight fit to get it into the army trailer, thanks to tractor data.com, i was able to assure it would fit before going to pick it up.