#1 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 11:56 AM

Just a little update from my last post. Still doing Physical Therapy on the finger two days a week and traveling 60 miles round trip. Have about 50% function of the finger. Skin has grown back and there are only acouple of spots that keep rising up with blood during the PT. Theses are becomming smaller and smaller but still are there. Finger is still numb from the second knuckle and is cold most of the time when I am outside. No real prognosis of much better progress other than it may take another year for feeling and full use to come back. Full use may never be back. Pain is still there but is as it has been for most of the summer. Thanks. Roger.

• MH81, Alc, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#2 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,643 Thanks
  • 7,673 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 01:25 PM

You always can use it for a book mark. And, with the lack of feeling, I imagine you can use it to stir your coffee. Anyone else have a use for it?

• hamman said thank you

#3 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,558 Thanks
  • 3,937 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 01:33 PM

I had to think of you earlier this week when a nail smacked a finger again. Wondered how yours was doing. Mine swelled up to the point I could barely move it.

• hamman said thank you

#4 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 02:27 PM

My wife tells me to be careful when picking my nose, that I don't get it to far in.LOL.  Roger.

#5 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,727 Thanks
  • 8,908 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 02:28 PM

My right index finger and middle finger are nerve dead from an auto accident that fractured a couple of vertebrae when I was younger. I quit doing bar tricks with them about five years ago. Now only on holidays. My personal favorite was using it as a candle using ether.

• hamman said thank you

#6 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 04:14 PM

I can sympathize with you having to travel 60 miles round trip to PT.  The just started me on PT last week for some Tendon issues and it is 64 miles for me round trip but I have to go 3 times a week.

When ever you have nerve damage it takes a long while for the body to repair the damage and sometimes it never does. 2 years ago I had surgery on my left collar bone from a MC accident.  They cut some nerves so for a while my left shoulder was numb and to this day it still does not fell quite like it used to.  You'll get use to and before long you will be working around it.  Glad everything is healing ok.

FYI: I moved this over to the safety forum so that this post and your previous post will be together.

• hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 08:44 PM

Roger, I hope the pain goes away for you.  The nerves grow back, but reaaal slow. I have a hand to prove it, after doing a Jesus impersonation, involving a nailgun. It takes a while, but hang in there  man :-)

BTW, I am still can grab a hot pan off the grill with that hand, and not feel too much, but the hand itself works just fine.

Edited by marlboro180, October 20, 2013 - 08:45 PM.

• hamman said thank you

#8 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,288 Thanks
  • 28,622 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 11:43 PM

Roger, sorry to hear its still giving you pain. The nerve damage is something like Bill said, eventually you start working around it.
  • hamman and HDWildBill have said thanks

#9 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 06:06 PM

nearly 2 weeks ago I was trying to position a 5 ton floor jack under a 3/4 ton Chevy truck at work. This is one of those jacks that has a  long handle  and a foot pedal. I was laying down and cranking the foot pedal with my hand while watching the saddle and the "point of contact" on the frame of the truck, the handle decided to fall on my index finger....  It still looks ugly/ probably should have gone in... but i've smashed my fingers more than once over the years, I've done the "caught in a belt/pulley" thing years ago.

My rt index finger is finally getting to be "not so" sensitive if I bump it,

why is it you bump things it seems you dont usually bump after somethin like this and the SLIGHTEST bump hurts so bad...

• Alc, hamman and HDWildBill have said thanks

#10 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 07:30 PM

I've been having problems with my left knee and it seems like the dogs are continuously running into it!  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:   

#11 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 08:25 PM

what concerns me more is that with the cold weather coming my fingers on my left hand get numb when Im out too long, been that way about the last 4 winters now.... already had that a couple mornings last week too.  most times when I have hurt my hands/fingers its been the right hand (has something to do with being "right handed") though as a kid I remember missing when driving a nail with a hammer and hitting the "wrong nail" a time or 3

• HDWildBill said thank you

#12 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,558 Thanks
  • 3,937 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 08:13 PM

Yup, gotta get the gloves out sooner than I used to. Cool damp days sure gets the aches going.

#13 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,643 Thanks
  • 7,673 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 07:26 AM

My finger felt funny for a year or two, kind of like it went to sleep, but eventually that went away.

• marlboro180 said thank you

#14 treefrog555 OFFLINE  

treefrog555
  • Member No: 49332
  • 6 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted November 07, 2013 - 10:20 PM

I'm with ya Ham. Had a few mishaps myself.  you just learn to adapt.

#15 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 04:42 PM

Short update for those still looking. Last Physical Therapy will be in February. I still have about 50% use of the finger. It is still numb to the touch and has some pain in it daily. It gets cold real easy and stays that way a long time. Finger nail grew back ok and original cut has healed completely. It is noticeably thinner at the last 2 joints and is now about 1/4" shorter. Prognosis is they don't know how long it will be like this and they think it will get feeling back eventually. Had not posted anything in a while and just wanted you to know what is going on.  Thanks.    Roger.

• MH81 said thank you